The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved Empty Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:30 am

I was able to take home a few more suppressors within the last month or so.  I will list some of what I have, and if you guys want more in-depth reviews, let me know which ones you are curious about.  Suppressors are cool, they allow you to shoot for the most part without having to use hearing protection.  I purchased various .22 suppressors so my kids can shoot their .22's without having to battle foamy ear plugs or the clunky ear muffs while trying to get a decent cheek weld.

Huntertown Arms .22 suppressors (kestrel and guardian models) -- they are cheap, serviceable, nice changeable stacked baffle system, and work well

Silencerco Sparrow .22 -- cool newer baffle design, serviceable, more expensive, uses o-rings (beware of what you clean with) small and quiet

SWR Octane 45 -- 45 cal handgun suppressor, suppresses .45 acp surprisingly well, serviceable (needed for cast lead), semi large, works decently on 9mm

SWR Specwar 762 -- .30 cal rifle suppressor, fast attach design, rated for .30 magnum calibers, a little long, but supposedly pretty quiet, untested by me so far

AAC 762 SDN-6 -- .30 cal rifle suppressor, fast attach design, shorter than the Specwar, I have mostly used it on my .300 blk rifles and it is quiet for its size

Huntertown Arms 762 AK -- designed to be an AK suppressor, when tested with my AK 47, it was loud, not hearing safe, it is bored out to about .40 to account for ak slop.  It is being repurposed as a .357 magnum single shot handi rifle suppressor.  Waiting to get the thread adapter to test.  Do not buy unless you know that it will not make an AK hearing safe and you still want it anyways.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved Empty Re: Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 am

Just an observation: You're having WAY too much fun. Very Happy 

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations for a short suppressed 5.56. Maybe a SBR, maybe not. And a 9mm for house duties.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved Empty Re: Just got a few more suppressor "stamps" approved

Post by Doc Wesson Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:41 am

Damn Corn!
    What do you do for a living? I need to do that so I can get more toys! Twisted Evil 
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Corn - I am really, really envious! I am not allowed to have suppressors. It is very irritating, as I would love to have some.

I am most interested in their performance with supersonic rounds. ?How loud is the sonic boom. I know from experience that it is pretty loud in .22's. ?Do you get a notable decrease in sound with the faster rounds.

I am not at all surprised that you can suppress .45 ACP well. That is a basic subsonic round, even in pretty hot loads. Suppressors are generally most effective with subsonic rounds.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Just when I think I've finally made a decision on where my shooting time and resources in the medium range future will go, then Corn makes posts like this.

Dang, that is so cool. I'm interested to hear how they work. I have this weird fetish for a suppressed lever action in 45 Colt.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:
    I have this weird fetish for a suppressed lever action in 45 Colt.  

Dang... I thought I was the only one...

Have you seen Teddy Roosevelt's suppressed Win 94 in thuty-thuty? <wub>
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

I have. That might have been what started this notion for me. Very very cool.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Just an observation: You're having WAY too much fun. Very Happy 

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations for a short suppressed 5.56. Maybe a SBR, maybe not. And a 9mm for house duties.  

I've thought about doing an SBR in 5.56 (or "pistol" build with the Sig arm brace), but for most purposes, the .300 blk does it all better. 5.56/.223 loses too much of what makes it effective when you cut the barrel down a bunch. It also is loud and the ammo doesn't burn all the powder by the time the bullet leaves the barrel. This is bad for suppressors because it acts like a sandblaster on the baffles. A lot of suppressor manufacturers will not warranty a suppressor if used on a .223/5.56 sbr unless the barrel is such and such length. The .300 blk pistol/sbr can cycle my subsonic ammo as well as the super with the suppressor on or off. Shooting supersonic ammo through it suppressed is loud but still hearing safe.

As far as a 9mm goes, I have a 9mm AR15 which takes glock mags. I have not been able to purchase the thread adapter yet for either the Kestrel AK or the SWR Octane 45 to suppress it yet. And, I still need to get some heavier 9mm bullets for subsonic 9mm loading. But I plan on doing it. 9mm SBR AR would be interesting though, and I may have to look into that--right now my 9mm AR has a standard 16" barrel.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Doc Wesson wrote:Damn Corn!
    What do you do for a living?  I need to do that so I can get more toys! Twisted Evil 

I don't make tons of money, but I drive old cars... I haven't had a car payment in like 7 years. If you turn what you normally spend on a car payment into a gun payment, you can have lots of fun.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    Tennessee Jed wrote:
    I have this weird fetish for a suppressed lever action in 45 Colt.  

Dang... I thought I was the only one...  

I have had plans for doing this for a while, but it will take some work.  You have to get raised sights, thread the barrel, cut and shorten the mag tube, etc...  And, you have to find a gun that you are willing to do this to.  I may have found a good host gun for this project--a used rossi 16" bbl for only $330.  One of the reasons I picked the Octane 45 suppressor was the serviceability of it.  Because you can take it apart for cleaning, you can shoot cast lead bullets through it.

And dev, yes the subsonic rounds work the best with suppressors and most .45acp ammo is subsonic. The sonic crack from supersonic rounds is kind of a high pitch sound that gets muffled through a suppressor. So even though suppressed super sonic rounds are loud still, they are quite a bit quieter and some of them hearing safe. Supersonic rifle ammo is a lot harder to suppress than handgun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 am