The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org Empty Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org

Post by sthwestvictoria Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 am

Here is an interesting find via castboolits - a section of the internet archive website with some texts that are sure to be of interest to gunnation folks.  Particularly Elmer Keith's Hell I Was There, On Killing by Dave Grossman, Bolt Actions of the World 3rd Ed and a miscellany of other bits:
    https://archive.org/details/folkscanomy_selfdefense

Here is another link to an archive of Elmer Keith articles from Guns Magazine.
    http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org Empty Re: Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org

Post by Doc Wesson Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 am

WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THIS IS A TREASURE TROVE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks, start out with Hell I Was There!
    this is awesome!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org Empty Re: Hell I Was There; On Killing; No Second Place Winner - eBook downloads from archive.org

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:25 pm

It's now on the Kindle!

Thanks SWV!

I despaired of every reading that classic, as my inner Scot would absolutely not allow me to pay horrendous amounts of money for an out of print book. Even found Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense on the webz.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Definately the Elmer Keith book is a worth a read.
    Two police/patrol officer survival guides are very interesting - Street Survival 1980 and No Second Place Winner.  I am having a look at these now.  Street Survival is very interesting in terms of the vignettes of officer involved shootings, even for the non-officer like myself. The Fighting Handgun - an illustrated history from flintlocks to modern looks interesting as well.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

sthwestvictoria wrote:Definately the Elmer Keith book is a worth a read.
    Two police/patrol officer survival guides are very interesting - Street Survival 1980 and No Second Place Winner.  I am having a look at these now.  Street Survival is very interesting in terms of the vignettes of officer involved shootings, even for the non-officer like myself. The Fighting Handgun - an illustrated history from flintlocks to modern looks interesting as well.

I have had Street Survival since some time in I believe the 80's. It is a great book for cops, but most don't read it. It talks about cop tactics, which are different from military tactics. If you have found a copy, I would suggest you hang onto it. I also have the sequal to it, tho the name escapes me. But it was a further discussion of the concepts in SS.

I have a copy of No Second Place Winner too. THE take-away line was - when you are entering a place where you think you might get into a gunfight, draw your weapon. No one can beat you to the draw then.

I have both hard and electronic copies of Grossman's On Killing. He has released a newer version wherein he addresses some of the criticisms of his original work. Mostly, there has been criticism of SLA Marshall's statistics about shooters in WWII. You can get a kindle version of the newer work from Amazon; don't know if this is the same.

All of these are worth reading if you are a shooting enthusiast, and especially if you are into SD. Particularly Grossman, to understand some of the psychological drives, and Street Survival to grasp some tactics.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Stealing madly, I made a blog post out of SWV's excellent find. With proper attribution:

http://notonemoregunlaw.blogspot.com/2014/06/hell-i-was-ther.html

BTW: Bolt Actions of the World is an incredible find!
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Already sar it
    Good post

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 am