The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Primer Colours

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Primer Colours Empty Primer Colours

Post by Devereaux Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:06 pm

I have been reloading large pistol primers as I have been reloading .45 ACP. I have a couple K of Winchester primers, and they are yellow. But I have a thousand of Remington 2-1/2 Large Pistol Primers, and they are silver. I recollect that my small rifle Winchester primers that I reloaded my .38 Supers with are also silver.

?Is there a regular set of colours that these primers come in. ?Are ALL Winchester large pistol primers yellow and all Remington large pistol primers silver.

I only ask because I reload a lot of nickle cases, and the silver ones look better.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Primer Colours Empty Re: Primer Colours

Post by Cornmastah Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:53 am

Just saw this. All of the Winchester primers I use are yellow (brass colored). All of the CCI or Remington's I have used are silver colored.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks, Corn. I have a K or 2 of Winchesters about, but may switch to using Remingtons because I have a ton of nickle cases, and they look better with the silver primers.

I don't see a lot of difference in primer performance. I read all about how it changes the load, but so far I have not seen that. Even in my prarie dog gun it isn't apparent. Although the CCI benchrest (#4) seem to work best. They are the most consistent firing with light pin strikes. And my Dakota doesn't hit that hard. I have (once) tried CCI small rifle primers meant for AR's and got a lot of misfires, even though there was an indention in the primer. I assumed that that was because they were meant for a military-style firing pin, and to resist the at least theoretical slam fire you could get with the firing pin loose in the BCG.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:38 am

We shoot a lot of Federal primers in Cowboy. They're one of the softer primers, and work the best in guns with lightened hammer springs. They're silver.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm