The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Fun with bunny fart loads...

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Fun with bunny fart loads... Empty Fun with bunny fart loads...

Post by Cornmastah Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Fun with bunny fart loads... 113gr

Been playing with the Lee "soup can" 113gr .30 bullet mold powder coated bullets. Was looking to make some .300 blk and maybe some .30-30 loads that are somewhat 'special purpose' loads that meet the following criteria:

1. subsonic
    2. bullet-stable for suppressors
    3. safe to use on steel targets @sub 50 yards
    4. accurate enough to use for 100 yard steel plates
    5. virtually no recoil

After some load experimentation and testing, I found a fun load for .300 blk. With about 3.8-3.9 gr of Trailboss, using a softer lead alloy with a powder coating, the bullets are moving about 980-1000ish fps and are very very quiet. These will NOT cycle an AR but work great in my Remy 700 and CVA scout rifle both chambered in 300 blk. I have not done the load developement for the 30-30 yet.

Uses for this load?

1. very quiet plinking
    2. small game hunting
    3. teaching kids shooting on something larger than a .22
    4. allowing kids to shoot (suppressed) without hearing protection (safely)--sometimes those dang ear muffs don't allow kids to get a good cheek weld
    5. rifle duels on a dueling tree @closer than 100 yards or 50 yards without damaging the steel paddles
    6. zombie headshots without making much noise in case that apocalypse ever happens
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Fun with bunny fart loads... Empty Re: Fun with bunny fart loads...

Post by Cornmastah Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 pm

I took the kids shooting over thanksgiving and shot a bunch of these suppressed through the single shot and bolt 300blk rifles:

Fun with bunny fart loads... Bunnyfart

Kids and adults had a blast shooting these with the suppressor and no hearing protection. They are so quiet you almost have to remind yourself that they are still a real bullet firing out of a real gun.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:03 pm

All this talk of suppressors makes me wish I lived somewhere that I could have one.

Coming home yesterday I was wearing my Geissele cap, and another guy noticed it. Rather surprising as that isn't exactly a household word. But we chatted before and after the flight. He lives in Dallas, and has a number of suppressed weapons, including a couple AR's and I believe his SCAR is also suppressed.

[Sigh!]
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:07 pm

I use the little 90grain Lee TL-90-314-SWC in the 30-30 over 7.0grains Trail Boss. It is not subsonic at 1400fps however it there is no recoil and it is accurate and very effective on rabbits from the Win 1894. It is great as you suggest for introducing new shooters to a centrefire.
    Fun with bunny fart loads... 35hfwxc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm