The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Average Joe
Charlie Foxtrot
sharpenit
7 posters

Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

sharpenit
    sharpenit
    .17 HMR
    .17 HMR

Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down Empty Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Post by sharpenit Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Hoping Joe reviews something OTHER THAN a Kimber this week. I'm all Kimbered out. Smile
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down Empty Re: Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Laughing

Yeah, Joe - how'z 'bout a Springfield? A 1911, so we can hear Grant get his hemp panties in a bunch. Wink
    Average Joe
    Average Joe
    .500 Magnum

Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down Empty Re: Kimber? No thanks, I'm trying to cut down

Post by Average Joe Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 am

Sorry boys, there's more Kimber's a comin'
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Joe, an honest inquiry (for once)

Years ago (pre-'Boma) I was looking for a 1911. I'd heard great things about Kimber, so it was off to my favorite gun pusher. I had thrown some money at a salesguy over the years; so when I asked for the Kimber, he just shook this head sadly. He stripped the '11, and showed me several casting flaws - including a huge one in the feed ramp. He said that Kimber's quality had slipped awfully, especially in their low to midline models. However, the prices had remained high and Kimber was no longer a good value. I also starting reading of many Kimbers "sh!tting the bed" during training or competition.

Has Kimber fixed their QC problems?
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Joe, an honest inquiry (for once)

Years ago (pre-'Boma) I was looking for a 1911. I'd heard great things about Kimber, so it was off to my favorite gun pusher. I had thrown some money at a salesguy over the years; so when I asked for the Kimber, he just shook this head sadly. He stripped the '11, and showed me several casting flaws - including a huge one in the feed ramp. He said that Kimber's quality had slipped awfully, especially in their low to midline models. However, the prices had remained high and Kimber was no longer a good value. I also starting reading of many Kimbers "sh!tting the bed" during training or competition.    

I had a similar experience and the same question.  The local shop doesn't ever recommend them anymore--most of the sales guys said there are better guns for the same price from the other manufacturers. A couple of them are even bitter about kimber.
    sharpenit
    sharpenit
    .17 HMR
    .17 HMR

Post by sharpenit Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Average Joe wrote:Sorry boys, there's more Kimber's a comin'

Sorry to hear that. Will be skipping those episodes. I'll be back when you move on to a different manufacturer.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Joe, an honest inquiry (for once)

I had a similar experience and the same question.  The local shop doesn't ever recommend them anymore--most of the sales guys said there are better guns for the same price from the other manufacturers.  A couple of them are even bitter about kimber.

I bought a Smith and Wesson 1911. After almost 3000 rounds, it's been flawless. After a few other large purchases, a SW1911 Series E might just be on the wish list. And.... their 9mm is getting great intrawebz buzz. Although, a 9mm 1911 just reeks of heresy. Wink
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:22 pm

CF - ANY 1911 cannot, by definition, be heresy. It's a 1911, after all.

That said, the Nighthawk 9mm model is suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread. I hear all manner of good words about that puppy. Only drawback is the $3k price tag.

How some ever, I believe the SW 1911 is over $1k MSRP. So a custom 1911 from Nighthawk doesn't seem that expensive. And Ed Brown would be in the same range. And everyone owes themselves a legacy gun they can shoot all day before they give it to their progeny.

I stopped looking at Kimbers when they had those ugly pin safeties. There were, I believe, some issues with those. Mostly it seemed to me a good idea to simply stay away from that brand, especially since others didn't have that issue and were available.

Both Springfield and Colt have been making nice 1911's lately. The Colt is, after all, a REAL Colt, and it's well made and worth the cash. The Springfield Range Officer is a great target gun out of the box, something you don't find often anywhere. You interested in shooting bullseye, get a RO.

As for Kimbers, I have 2. One's an Ultra CDP, and the other is a crazy 1911 in .17 Mach II, with a .22 top conversion (which I don't care for all that much). Interestingly, both work quite well. I have an S&A magwell on the UCDP, which makes the grip just that much longer so easier to hold. The .17 is an absolute gas to shoot, and accurate out to quite a distance. I use to shoot at dogs <100 yds out.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 pm

From the 1911 forum:

While never actually having handled or fired one I would say that based on the photos I have seen of the frame/slide fit they certainly look handfitted. If they are able to get that close a fit with only machine operations then a bunch of other manufacturers could learn a lot from their processes and tooling. Most of the internal parts do require some handfitting to achieve a reliable functional pistol. If you merely "drop in" sub-contracted parts to "assemble" a 1911 you are required to stamp "Kimber" on it and advise the purchaser that it will need thousands of rounds fired through it to see if it works. Or not.

Good for a chuckle.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 pm

There is a Kimber I'd be interested in hearing about, and that's the Solo. Joe had a review on his website some time ago when they first came out, but said that he couldn't recommend it until Kimber works out some potential reliability bugs. At the time, the Solo had just been released. I'm interested to hear if they've worked it out.

I'm a big fan of the Colt 1903, and would be thrilled if the Solo has become reliable. As Joe said in his review, the Solo looks like a Darwinian evolution of the 1903.

I enjoy Joe's Kimber reviews, even if they are of Kimbers pimped out in sapphire blue, in 9mm (...shudder...).
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 am

Sharpenit tips his hat to the fact he only listens to the show for reviews... none of the other things we have. Crying or Very sad
    Maybe I will just set Joe up for a podcast to review Kimbers and then quit doing them altogether.
    They really do eat up the time for us during the week and it costs me money.
    You have to remember, we do not monetize the shows. Joe mostly buys all the guns he reviews, sans the ones he can try at the range where he works now. So it can be a little limited. If anyone would like to donate a gun to review or the money to acquire it, non-Kimber, please stand up.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Hey Doc, deeply appreciate the effort it takes to put on this podcast and forum. I wouldn't mind it in the least if you gentlemen monetize the 'cast. Or hell, I'll put my money were my big mouth is and subscribe a buck or two each month for your information, humor, and hippiness.

IMNSHO, Joe's reviews are probably some of the best on the web - a great mix of impression, opinion, and range time. Grant is a fount of experience. Ian's efforts have been endlessly fascinating - as well as a mil-surp budget buster. And you, you ol' bustard, are the essential everyman; laughing at everything and making sure it all makes sense. An enjoyable time: it's always a happy time when my iTunes announces a new Gun Nation podder.

So, thanks again - and put another bourbon on my tab. You too Joe, Grant and Ian.

But - what the hell is "campucha"?
    sharpenit
    sharpenit
    .17 HMR
    .17 HMR

Post by sharpenit Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Doc Wesson wrote:Sharpenit tips his hat to the fact he only listens to the show for reviews... none of the other things we have.  Crying or Very sad
    Maybe I will just set Joe up for a podcast to review Kimbers and then quit doing them altogether.  
    They really do eat up the time for us during the week and it costs me money.
    You have to remember, we do not monetize the shows.  Joe mostly buys all the guns he reviews, sans the ones he can try at the range where he works now.  So it can be a little limited. If anyone would like to donate a gun to review or the money to acquire it, non-Kimber, please stand up.

Doc:

Only just saw this post, so I'll correct the impression that I apparently have given. I do find the other parts of the show enjoyable, too. In a different post, I've complained about Grant's longwindedness. But I've learned to deal with that: I pay attention until he finally makes his point, then space out while he goes on to make it two or three more times, then zone back in when he's through. Paul and Ian are always enjoyable, too. Did I forget anybody? Oh yeah, Doc! I enjoy Doc's comments, too. I have learned a lot from all of you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am