The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Firearms safety - a core competancy

sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Firearms safety - a core competancy Empty Firearms safety - a core competancy

Post by sthwestvictoria Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 am

A core topic is firearms safety, be that safety in storage, safety in handling and safety  in firing.  One of the best Michael Bane episodes was #184 where he discussed how he and his television team stay safe while handling firearms.  He talked about sneaky little bullets and how they will always find their way into a bullet while you weren't looking - a good way to think about things.
    downrange.tv/blog/down-range-radio-184/6559/

As well as Cooper's four rules there are finer points of etiquette - always showing a firearm is clear when passing it, not touching a firearm behind the firing line or when some one is downrange, hopefully obvious things.  However last week I asked a gun store worker to show a rifle clear before I picked it up and they were snarky.

There there are some specific times and rules - hunting orange, being sure of your target, wrapping orange around anything you carry out.  There are concealed carry specifics we in Australia don't know about, you chaps will be able to cover well.

Last edited by sthwestvictoria on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Firearms safety - a core competancy Empty Re: Firearms safety - a core competancy

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm

+1

The best among us exhibit a culture of safety. Checking a firearm immediately when it is picked up, scrupulously observing Cooper's Four Commandments, opening the action before passing off the firearm, observing range rules, and practicing all the safety requirements when afield are all behaviors in support of that culture.

Set a good example, teach, gently correct, learn from others, and continuously evaluate your own actions are all ways of building good safety etiquette in the Firearms Culture.

I was a Double A Grade, Extra Large idiot when I first started with guns. I'm eternally grateful that no one had to pay for my stupidity. I hope I can help others avoid those errors.  

Great post, mate!
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Firearms safety - a core competancy Empty Re: Firearms safety - a core competancy

Post by sthwestvictoria Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Thinking about this after I posted I thought there had been an episode on safety?
    There was episode #57 on etiquette.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:28 pm

sthwestvictoria wrote:Thinking about this after I posted I thought there had been an episode on safety?
    There was episode #57 on etiquette.

Thanks! I'll look for it.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:16 am

We will likely devote a show to this topic...
    Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:00 am