The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

M1 Carbine

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

M1 Carbine Empty M1 Carbine

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:42 pm

I'll admit to knowing very little about the M1 Carbine - except that I did not take advantage of the CMP's Carbines when I could have. Rats.

Advantages: light, relatively accurate, easy to reload straight wall cartridges, WWII cool, collectable.

Disadvantages: Little surplus ammo, only relatively accurate, an expensive plinker.

I understand there's some new production Carbines. However the parts don't interchange with the originals and there's lots of intrawebz grousing about reliability.

Your thoughts?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

M1 Carbine Empty Re: M1 Carbine

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Back when they were available, I was a freaking idiot and passed up many opportunities to get one. Thought it was too small and feeble. Turned out that it was only my mind that was too small and feeble.

If 30 Carbine ammo was more plentiful in my area I'd love to get an M1 Carbine. Have shot a couple at my range and I think they are very neat little rifles.
    Tovarish32
    Tovarish32

Post by Tovarish32 Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Love the one I got from CMP, went to the South store in Anniston right after they started selling them. Great little rifle. Not one that I would use for deer hunting, but fun to shoot. I have the dies to reload, thankfully, as ammo is expensive.

Tovarish
    Tovarish32
    Tovarish32

Post by Tovarish32 Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:03 pm

M1 Carbine Guns012_zpsb2d01fa7
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:59 am

Schweeeeet!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

I am actually holding one for my godson - who is showing less and less inclination to recover ANY of his weapons. He inherited them from his father, who was one of my best friends. As he was living in Chicago (and now in Kalifornia) he kept them with me so there wouldn't be a "legal" issue.

I believe the little bugger is, well, a little bugger. Remember, folks, it was intended as an officer's weapon - to replace the 1911. It is little more effective than that, and arguably less.

Back across the pond, when I had a joint platoon, we had a PC that we ran errands, resupply, etc. with. Sgt. Burton had gotten his hands on an M2 Carbine - that it, one with a selector. That, with a pair of banana-clipped mags, was the standard weapon we threw into the PC each morning. You carried whatever you wanted, but that was always in the truck. Never had to shoot anyone with it, though, so I can't speak to it effectiveness, but there are lots of stories about how ineffective it was - at least as a rifle.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 pm

I bought one of the Kahr/Auto Ordnance new production models.  It is ok.  I had to send it back to Kahr to get it worked on before I could shoot any ammo. The chamber needed to be enlarged a little.  Straight from the box, it would not chamber any kind of ammo whether it was factory new ammo or reloads.  After getting it back (free of charge thankfully), I had a few issues with the top handguard coming loose--but nothing serious.  Now the gun eats all my reloads as well as factory new ammo.  As far as my purposes go, it is fun on the dueling tree vs other similar pistol caliber carbines, but it seems that all purposes are better done by other guns (ie: real rifles or ar15's chambered in 9mm).  Kids like it for practicing with iron sights (small, lightweight, etc...) but other than that, it is one of those guns that sits in the safe most of the time.  BTW, the ruger blackhawk in .30 carbine is a nice addition if you already own the m1 carbine.  It is loud, but fun.

Last edited by Cornmastah on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm