The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Paper Patching Cast Bullets

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Paper Patching Cast Bullets Empty Paper Patching Cast Bullets

Post by Cornmastah Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:13 pm

So, after casting and shooting thousands of powder coated bullets, I have come to the conclusion that powder coating pistol and subsonic rifle bullets is the way to go for me. No smoky, messy lube to deal with, and powder coating is a relatively fast process. My barrels are very clean afterwards with no leading and no real pc leftovers in the handguns and low velocity rifles (ie: lever guns, subsonic 300 blk, low velocity 30-30, etc...) I am not sure yet if it is worth doing in higher velocity rifles yet--I have to do more casting and testing to verify. I still need to test more gas checked powder coated rifle bullets. I am thinking, however, that paper patching might be the way to go if I want to crank up the velocities with cast lead bullets. Paper patching looks quite a bit more time consuming, but appears to allow jacketed velocities with softer lead alloys. This may pay off more with .308 win, hotter 30-30 loads, 30-06, and hotter 45-70 loads. I am definitely going to do some testing and experimenting. If I can get it to work and push my cast bullets to jacketed velocities while maintaining accuracy, I might have to do this. I am always looking for ways to save money--money saved means more rounds I get to fire. Any of you ever messed around with paper patching cast bullets?
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Paper Patching Cast Bullets Empty Re: Paper Patching Cast Bullets

Post by sthwestvictoria Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Only in old, obscure calibres, not for velocity but to increase the size of the projectile to get a better fit. For example the 11x50 Albini slugged at .460 so I used a .457 45-70 cast bullet with two wraps of bank 40gsm paper wrapped to get it up to .470 (from memory). Woeful accuracy so not sure if it was the 140year old rifle, the bullets or my poor reloading skills with black powder. I know there was also neck tension problems with the cobbled together sizing technique.

It is fiddly, I don't think I would want to be doing a great number of them.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:43 am

What were you using for the sizing process? I've heard the lee push through dies (that I currently use) work well for that. I think that it is one of those things that really depends on getting the right bullet shape, size, paper type, paper thickness, etc... Lots and lots of variables--but it seems like some people are doing it successfully. I may have to tinker a bit and see if it is worth it. I would probably start out with the 45-70, and go from there.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm