The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Cornmastah
Dirty Bob
6 posters

Howdy from Texas!

Dirty Bob
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Howdy from Texas! Empty Howdy from Texas!

Post by Dirty Bob Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 pm

Good afternoon!

I'm in S. Texas and have been enjoying the podcast for a few years (including the infamous "Run, Doc, Run" episodes!

I just heard about the forum and decided to drop by and check it out.

BTW: Doc read my voicemail at the end of the last episode (#134), with the request for an EDC segment in a future episode.

All my best,
    Bob
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Howdy from Texas! Empty Re: Howdy from Texas!

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Hello Bob, glad you're here. I think you'll find this a friendly place. Glad you're here.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Howdy!
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:50 am

GLAD YOU ARE HERE DIRTY BOB!!
    ENJOY!!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 am

Welcome, DB!

And your EDC request is very timely: in a couple of weeks I'll have my CCW license. And I DON'T want to carry Batman's utility belt.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    And your EDC request is very timely: in a couple of weeks I'll have my CCW license. And I DON'T want to carry Batman's utility belt.    

Hope you have better luck with that than I did. I have had to learn to embrace the nerdiness of a well supplied belt.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Okay: I'll start.

Baseline EDC: Pre-Carry

G23
    Alien Gear IWB 2.0 Holster
    SnagMag Pocket Carrier for G22 mag
    LED AAA Keychain Light (Doubles as a Kubotan Baton (Kinda))
    Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Knife
    Cell Phone

Known or Suspected Deficiencies (According to the Professional Gun Writers):
    No Green Laser Sight (Planned)
    No Weapon Light (Planned)
    No Tacticool Hand Light (Maybe)
    No First Aid Items (Tourniquet - Maybe)
    No BUG or BUG Ammo
    No Less Than Lethal Items (Except For Dog Spray Carried On Dog Walks)

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah, I think the professional writers are often full of crap.

My belt fills up with a Theis hybrid holster, couple of speedloaders, a small 6 round pouch for a Tuffstrip (for loading less than a full cylinder), cell phone, and Leatherman. Sometimes a Buck 110 goes on the belt, or a Spyderco Endura goes in a pocket. I'm probably overdoing it with the Tuffstrip pouch. I figure that things I might need in a hurry go on the belt, things not needed quickly go in the pockets (Fenix flashlight, keys, wallet).

I used to carry pepper spray as a less than lethal option, until I had one go off in a pocket and I didn't realize it until I felt a burning sensation on my thigh and I could've wringed the pepper spray out of my jeans. That hurt for hours. I'm done with chemicals now.

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Yeah: used pepper spray on a pit bull. Spray later leaked in my pocket, giving me a blistering burn on the leg. Turns out many Mfgs recommend discarding pepper spray after use.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:42 pm

I can say, however, from my days when I was a postal carrier in summers in college, that U.S. Postal pepper spray goes very well on soft-shell tacos.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:10 am

LOL, TJ.

I made a formal report to the cops (discharging a weapon inside city limits (California, dudes)). They couldn't be bothered and sent me to Animal Control. SPCA was very interested in what I used, as the spray they carried "didn't do jack". Didn't ask him about tacos.  

My "Police Spray" blinded the pit, but didn't stop it. However, a blind pit bull is at a significant tactical disadvantage, especially when facing Size 13 brogans. I tried to take the bastard's head off with each kick. The idiot owner finally corralled the pit -- and then turned on me for kicking his dog. The fool somehow did not realize I was barely holding back two Sheps that desperately wanted to party.

That's life in the monkey house.
    Dirty Bob
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:06 am

Wow, Charlie!

I go out of my way to avoid canine confrontations. In part 'cause I'd hate to have to hurt a dog. I'm a big softie with dogs and cats.

RE: EDC, your prospective loadout looks good! I'd suggest a stronger light, though.

I've come to really embrace a smartphone as a critical part of EDC. In addition to summoning help, it can be used to record evidence, photograph witnesses and/or perps, record statements, and much more.

I also never leave without at least one reload. The mag's the most failure-prone part of the gun. Even if it doesn't fail, it can be ejected and lost at an inconvenient time. I've never read of a citizen reloading, but if you defend yourself, you'll want to reload. You may find yourself with a long wait for the cops in a bad neighborhood.

I'm always experimenting with options, but the "always gun" is a double action revolver or striker-fired pistol in an appendix IWB holster. It's my favorite carry: easy to conceal (for me) and fast.

In a recent trip up north to Austin, here was my loadout:
    Howdy from Texas! Dirty_11
    On the first day, I carried the Glock 26 in a Glock Sport/Combat holster behind my left hip, balancing the revolver. It was quite comfortable. On the second day, I tried a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster for the Glock. A 17-round mag was on the offside of the shoulder rig, in addition to another on my belt. It was a lot, but I just wanted to see how hard it was to carry two compact handguns and 60 rounds of ammo. It wasn't all that bad, but I'm going back to a much lighter EDC!

All my best,
    Dirty Bob
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am

Holy snot, DB; set off any magnetometers lately?  Wink

Couple of questions/ thoughts:

Are BUGs really necessary? Especially with an extremely reliable pistol like the Glock? Then again, I'm a belt and suspender guy myself.

I see you've carried a G17 mag for the 7 rounds advantage. There's also the increased grip for controlability. I'm surprised more people don't use that trick.  

Like the neck knife idea.

I am looking for an upgrade flashlight. Months ago I saw the perfect one: a long, thin, aluminum LED with two AAAs. It'd make a nifty Kubotan baton. However, the price made my inner Scot wail in anguish.  

And... I'm a huge squishy when it comes to animals. However, attack my furkids, and it's Game On.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Lets see, I'll play!

When I can carry (Can't at work or in the car at work): XDS 3.3 9mm in Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0
    Spare magazine in Remora pocket holster or MagHolder
    CKRT Ryan Seven in the pocket
    iPhone 6
    Wallet
    Keys
    Tactical pen-thing my wife got me for my birthday this year

In my backpack that's with me on the drive to/from work and at work I have a good sized Maxpedition pouch with:

Small little flashlight
    Whistle
    Mirror, metal backed
    2 pens
    Little first aid kit from Coleman
    small thing of bandaids
    Common medications (Aspirin, Aleve, anti-nausea)
    Soft cloth X2 for glasses cleaning
    Rescue tool for breaking windows

That's about it. I know it could stand to be a heck of a lot better.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:04 pm

And I should add, yay for another Texan!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:10 am

Only have so many pockets...

I carry:

-Surefire flashlight--yeah the kind that takes the annoying expensive batteries, I really want to find a good one that takes AA or AAA because I use it so often

-G19 in an inexpensive holster (easily put it on/take it off--can't carry at work but can keep it in the car)

-Kershaw one handed knife

-Keys, cell phone, wallet

-Always keep a backpack in the car with multitool as well as a few other tools
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Beta and Corn mentioned bags they carry in the car for some additional safety gear. That could be a whole 'nother topic.

In unstable California, my car always had a "Get Home in 3 Days" bag. Everything I need to walk the 21 miles home from work was in that bag. Food, water, boots, socks, GPS, radio, flashlight, maps, knife, hatchet, sleeping gear, cash, etc. etc. etc. 40+ pounds in an ALICE bag. Damn water weighs too damn much.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:11 pm

True enough Charlie, That's the thing (get home safely, one night on the road) I -don't- cover real well. I have a mini-bag in my work backpack, and a 'incident on the road' bag in the trunk with a couple of road flares, a big flashlight, survival blanket, some small tools, latex gloves, safety glasses, basic roadside emergency type stuff.

It's a smart idea I think to keep a change of clothes, socks, some water, maps, sleeping gear, water. Even in Texas, I could find myself stuck somewhere I suppose, even if it wasn't 'real' winter.

EDC wise, I love my CKRT Ryan but damn if the thing doesn't have more ridges and bumps and hard things on the grip than I'd really like. I didn't notice it until I started pocket carrying it and every time I reach for my wallet in that right front pocket where it's clipped I scrape my damn knuckles.

Any tips on a sub-50 knife that's smooth? Or I suppose I have a cheap 5 dollar belt pouch I can throw on my belt even at work, and store it there.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:44 am

betafu2 wrote:...Any tips on a sub-50 knife that's smooth? Or I suppose I have a cheap 5 dollar belt pouch I can throw on my belt even at work, and store it there.

Check the Kershaw knives on amazon.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    betafu2 wrote:...Any tips on a sub-50 knife that's smooth? Or I suppose I have a cheap 5 dollar belt pouch I can throw on my belt even at work, and store it there.

Check the Kershaw knives on amazon.

+1  

Lub my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek for front pocket carry. Flip the carry clip around so the tip is carried up. You'll need a set of Tork allen wrenches. Also tighten the "safety" so it doesn't engage unexpectedly.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Dirty Bob
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:04 am

A little more info about my EDC:
    Howdy from Texas! Dirty_11

I normally carry one of the above, often backed up by a P-32 in the back pocket. With the G26, it's a 15+2 mag on my belt (hidden in plain sight in a "multitool pouch" by Galati Gear). With the .38, I normally have one speedloader though I plan to switch to two Speed Strips in a belt pouch.

Appendix carry lets me conceal even in hot weather, and I can tuck my shirt in. The holster for the Taurus is a Galco Tuck-N-Go. The holster for the Glock is the better Galco Ultimate Second Amendment holster. The Galco U.S.A. is excellent and is my favorite. One thought, though: you can see how the softer leather of the Tuck-N-Go has changed shape after long hours of carry. This actually makes it more comfortable than the Glock, especially if I have to bend a lot.

Knives are a modded blade from Jantz Supply in a homemade Kydex attached to the keys with a quick release attachment, and a CRKT Ringer 3 neck knife with the "tail" cut off the back and sanded smooth. The Ringer is much easier to get to when seated than the larger knife. Very useful utility blade. The only one that non-gun people see is the tiny Swiss Army. I detach the fitting and leave the fixed blade in pocket.

Not visible is my all-metal Zebra F-701: a modest-priced pen that is extremely sturdy and writes well. It travels EVERYWHERE with me, as does the flashlight, even on airplanes, into Federal buildings and other weapon-free zones.

I'm amazed at the discussion that this thread has spawned. Did anyone catch the podcast? It was fun to hear what our erstwhile experts carry. I knew Grant liked the GP100, but he's one of the few people I've ever heard of that carries one. That's a big pistol!

All my best,
    Dirty Bob
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Actually, a 4 inch barrel GP100 is my regular carry gun when the weather gets warmer. The Ruger compact grip is REALLY easy to hide under a shirt in an IWB holster.

I suppose it's heavy, but with a good stiff belt I don't notice it much.

But I will admit, my regular carry of a 4 inch barrel 629 has become noticeably heavy lately. Maybe I'm just getting older.
    Dirty Bob
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:Actually, a 4 inch barrel GP100 is my regular carry gun when the weather gets warmer.  The Ruger compact grip is REALLY easy to hide under a shirt in an IWB holster.

Awesome choice! The GP100 is super-easy to shoot well and is built like a tank. It's one of the all time great revolvers.

Respectfully,
    Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content