The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting Empty Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Think I will finally make the plunge and join the ranks of those who cast their own bullets. I'm guessing that the costs will be a little more or close to equal with buying cast bullets online. However, I see the primary advantages of casting being: (1) I can tailor the bullets more closely to the particular gun and caliber (especially making them softer than those I can buy online), (2) I won't be as subject to bullet droughts as I have been in the past, and (3) I know I will greatly enjoy it.

I've read Lyman's manual on casting from cover to cover, and think I have a reasonable grasp on the concepts. My question to those of you who have experience with this is, is there a particular caliber that's easier to start with than others?

Calibers I'm interesting in casting include 45 Colt, 45 acp, 44 magnum/special, 38 special/357 magnum, and eventually 30-30 Winchester. I think I should start with just one caliber, get the fundamentals down, then move on to another. The calibers I shoot the most tend to be 44 and 38/357.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting Empty Re: Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting

Post by Cornmastah Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Excited for you--Let me know when you have questions about stuff.  I may have a few tips with stuff I have learned.  That Lyman cast bullet book is a great reference, as well as the castboolit forums.  Before you jump into the purchase of a lubrisizer and what not, I would recommend trying to powdercoat your bullets first--and then using a push through lee sizing die.  If you have questions on melting pots and ladle pouring vs bottom pouring, let me know also.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting Empty Re: Getting Ready to Get Started in Bullet Casting

Post by Cornmastah Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:46 pm

TJ, done anything with this yet?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Not yet. I was going to get into it over Christmas, but at the last second decided to invest my available funds in accessories and training with my still-new-to-me 1911 (holster, mags and carriers, tons of bullets and components, training class, etc.). I should be done with that around March.

However, the way things are looking with the upcoming election, I'm considering using the funds I would use on bullet casting and getting into an AR while I still can. No matter how you cut it, I think as the election gets closer the prices on AR's and accessories will rise, and I think if I don't get into it now, I will regret it later.

Been looking at various makes and models, as well as building from the ground up. Since this would be my first AR, I'm taking a serious look at just getting a good-enough entry model with enough cash left over for optics, mags, ammo, dies and components. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Ruger AR 556, but close contenders are the S&W Sport II and Aero Precision AC 15. If I decide that I don't like the AR platform, I think I could sell a pre-built rifle more easily than something I built myself.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:38 pm

I would get the AR before the casting stuff--seems like a smart choice.  In case you are looking to build your own, I would take a look at palmettostatearmory.com as well as radicalfirearms.com.  The downside to radicalfirearms.com is the wait time between ordering and shipping.  They build to order so you save a bunch of money, but you have to wait.  Whatever route you go, I would try to get a free floated barrel.  The plastic handguards are just "meh" and will decrease your accuracy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm