The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Empty Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS

Post by Cornmastah Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:55 pm

I've had a tad bit of free time this last week and decided to play around a bit with some more stuff.  Been doing some more playing with softer alloys.  This batch I did some 160 gr flat points and sent them out around 1500 fps with a1680 powder in 300 blk.  In my opinion, 300 blk is a reloader's/caster's paradise round--there is so much stuff you can do with it.   I know, I know, shooting into a bucket of sand isn't super scientific, but that darn ballistic gel is super expensive. (If anybody wants to donate the gel, I can do whatever experiment you want to see.)  Anyways, this is what the ammo looks like when loaded:

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Redlead5

This is what they look like after being shot into some "ballistic sand" in a bucket:

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Redlead1
    They are completely turned inside out, but for some reason stick together.

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Redlead2
    I weighed these after, and some of them weigh the same as before minus a gr or two.

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Redlead3
    It is interesting how the powder coat stays on the lead and almost seems to hold the lead together.

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Redlead4
    What do you guys think?  Does the PC hold the lead together?

I need to shoot some of these into some milk jugs and see what kind of expansion I get with water.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Empty Re: Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS

Post by Cornmastah Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:58 pm

These will make really great inexpensive close range rifle plinking rounds used on steel targets.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS Empty Re: Powder Coated Soft Cast Bullets @1500 FPS

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:57 pm

I think you're on to something there Corn. My guess is that the powder is holding it together. Unless I'm mistaken, those inside out.

And those were flat points, and not hollowpoints, correct? What type of lead alloy did you use?

Did you use gas checks?

I'm thinking that type of alloy would be terrific in a 30-30 load, or maybe even a 357 mag rifle load.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:42 pm

They were flat points, not hollow points.  I think with that kind of expansion, a hollowpoint with the same alloy would probably fragment--like that soft lead 44 mag hollow point test I did earlier.  

Yes, the fired rounds were turned completely inside-out.  

No gas checks used on these ones--just plain based.

I was using an alloy of 4 parts soft(er) lead and 1 part foundry type hard lead if I remember correctly.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Now THAT is what can be done if one casts his own bullets. Out-freaking-standing!

This is exactly why I want to get into casting. If I can get a 357 mag flat point bullet to expand like that out of a lever action carbine, I will have solved my own personal zombie apocalypse ammo question.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:51 pm

It gets really interesting when you play with different alloys and such.  The powder coating process is another cool variable.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 pm

I am sure. I've done some reading about cast bullets for the 30-30 and how effective they are on deer. I've read that by using softer lead, you don't need super duper high velocity for a bullet to open and expand.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:02 am

Guys, go back to the Civil War and later to see the effect of soft lead. It is the primary reason for the Hague Convention. What I don't get is HOW the bullet turns inside out. It's as if the bullet rear overtakes the point. I am presuming the pics show the point in the centers.

Taking deer with soft point bullets isn't a problem as they are soft skinned animals.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm not totally sure how they get turned inside, but I would guess that the powder coating on the tip gets broken on the first of the impact with the sand, and the rear of the bullet tries to keep going. The powdercoating on the outside holds the lead together.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am