The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Back from NRA AM 16

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Back from NRA AM 16 Empty Back from NRA AM 16

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun May 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Just spent the last 3 days at the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville, KY. Had a great time, learned a lot, didn't see everything. Found the seminars too late - but did get to hear Col Dave Grossman for 3 hours. His stuff is sobering and has the ring of hard truth - the future is not bright. I'm going to get a copy of his On Combat - and some more ammo.

Anyhow, it was a good time. Next year it's in Hotlanta. If Hildabeast hasn't outlawed the NRA by then, it should be a VERY interesting meeting.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Back from NRA AM 16 Empty Re: Back from NRA AM 16

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon May 23, 2016 11:48 am

I had high hopes to get to the NRA convention this year, but had to stay home with my wife gong out of town and having to watch the munchkins. I would be interested in going to Atlanta next year, though.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm

I also would love to go sometime--but kids keep me busy and the wife usually plans how we use my paid vacation days.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:26 pm

CF - talk some more about what Grossman said.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 pm

Devereaux wrote:CF - talk some more about what Grossman said.

Damn, that's a tall order. I'll do my best.

America is facing 2 separate threats (I'd say 3, but I'm always the pessimist): external Islamic terrorism and the more terrifying; a generation desensitized to violence and enabled by permissiveness.) The results will largely be the same: attacks on school buses, kindergartens, and grade schools, as well as other gun-free zones like hospitals, large events and nightclubs (This was well before Orlando.) All while the progressive, statist left (3rd threat) moves to disarm the populace - where the only effective resistance can possibly come from.

His recommendation: get prepared (food, water, and weapons), carry where you can - when you can, and fight like hell - the terrorists, crazy youth, and those that want you disarmed in the face of the rising threats. Interesting aside: in any critical situation, immediate and excessive violence can fatally disrupt the bad guys plans. Hit 'em hard and fast (Billy Sherman and ol' von Clausewitz.)

I've done great disservice to Grossman. Read On Combat and then On Killing for his compelling analysis.  If you can, see Grossman talk. It was frightening - but comforting in a strange way to hear my dark thoughts confirmed.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks. I have read On Killing several times and recommended it to friends who wanted to understand combat and killing. I have not read On Combat. Perhaps there is something additional there.

There are several important things to note about modern day Americans. Most of these shooters have been lone or duos. Yet in all this there has been NO ATTEMPT TO SWARM. The Orlando incident shows no attempt by the collective group to swarm the hostile. Note that on the train in Europe when THAT dipwad tried to kill people 3, count them three American (of course - who else would have the balls) swarmed the guy and took him down.

This is much like the behavior of troops against a sniper. IF the troops get spooked and dive for cover, the sniper basically roams free. If they charge him, assault him by fire, what have you, the sniper is neutralized.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 am

Unfortunately, much of modern teaching has been against self-reliance and action. It's all hunker-down and await the authorities. Extreme passivity.

This can be seen in the current "Bully" fixation. The old tried and true solution to bullying, i.e.: a poke in the nose, is no longer allowed or tolerated. Instead the kids are required to report the incident to school resource officers, who start an investigation with well paid professionals administrators, procedures, counselors, lawyers, perp rights, bureaucratic inertia, etc. Predictably -- nothing gets done. Except, if the victim pokes the bully in the nose, all hell will rain down.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am

Precicely! It is fascinating to read old history and find just how much Americans relied upon one another and how little the government was involved. In anything. Today government seems everpresent, with all those characteristics you note.

Except. No one smart works for the government. If there WAS anyone smart working for the government, they would be hired away by the civilian world. That leaves a vast sea of incompetent bureaucrats to "decide" what is right, appropriate, etc.

The country was originally created with 4 basic virtues to be promolgated in the people: Industry, honesty, religiosity, and marriage. If you look at the people up to about 1960-70, those were still strongly demonstrated within the people. In the interval, the progressives have striven mightyly to replace the virtues with - government. Laws. Somehow the idea is that we no longer need to think about honesty because the laws will keep us honest. Thus we get the string of governors from Illinois in jail. Marriage was once the cornerstone of the social fabric. Not so anymore. Now, excluding whether or not you like marriage, the interesting fact is that the results of kids raised by single mothers is abysmal. Yes, there are always some exceptions, but the average is horrible. Interestingly, so is the record of non-married couples living together and raising children.

Charles Murray has written a number of interesting books, one of which, Coming Apart, sets out the statistics to show we are in trouble. Read it if you have such an inclination. Lately I have been reading all manner of stuff about how America was - and why that made it great. DeToqueville would not recognize the America of today.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:42 am

And just to put a fine point on it, there was recently a shoot=out in a WalMart parking lot in, of all places, Maine. Two cars in the lot were arguing over money and they started exchanging fire. When one guy got out of his car, two bystanders who were armed stepped in and put a stop to all that. So here's the final quote from the story:

Thjough in this situation, the two legally armed bystanders may have very well prevented someone from getting shot — or even, worst case, getting killed — Augusta Police have made it clear that they don’t recommend that bystanders step in during such potentially deadly situations.

Instead, they encourage individuals to focus on being “good witnesses” in order to be able to later provide reliable information to authorities.

How pathetic.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Well -- I've already decided that I'll protect me and mine -- the deevolved can go hang. I'm not putting my assets on the line for those who won't help themselves and have actively limited my ability to help myself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am