The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Mounts

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Mounts Empty Mounts

Post by Devereaux Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Just bought a Vortex 1-9 30mm illum reticle scope which I plan on using on an AR. But I don't have mounts.

?Anyone have bulletproof rings to use on a flattop AR.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Mounts Empty Re: Mounts

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:43 am

I've had very good luck with the cantalivered design for AR-15s. They push the scope forward, providing the necessary eye relief.

Vortex makes a damn good design:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-3-inch-offset

I've got a couple of theirs. Also saw Vortex has released a Precision Series of cantilevered mounts. (I suppose Doc would say cantileeevered mounts.) One even has a sorely needed 20 MOA preset cantilever. I'd stay away from the quick release mounts though - they all loosen up with enough rounds.

The Burris P.E.P.R. is also a very good cantilevered mount.

Gonna need a range report for your 1-9!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks for the steer, CF.

May be a while for the range report. I bought the scope because it was on sale and looked good. I still have a Vortex red dot to try out. I am becoming less amoured with my Eo’s so perhaps I”ll try it on one of my 5.56’s and see how it works. Would really like to get back to Aimpoints though.

But no specific gun for the scope. Thinking of building a .223 Wylde.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Devereaux wrote:But no specific gun for the scope. Thinking of building a .223 Wylde.

I was building a DMR with a 20" Krieger barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber -- before the move. Now, I'm -- looking for my gunsmithing tools. And my primary computer. <sigh> The gun is designed around the M262 77gr Sierra Match round.  Should be an honest 600 yard shooter, while being capable of using the 55gr FMJBTs in a pinch.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I use the cantilever rings/mounts also. I've had good luck with the burris p.e.p.r ones as well as the vortex ones.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Hmmm. I may have to get a set of rings just to mount the scope on a frame. Be kool. No rest of the weapon, but at least the frame and scope. Could even put a BCG in it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:49 pm

?How about a mount for a SOCOM. It has the pic rail up front, so the scope will be forward. I got the scope mount to mount a scope right on top of the action but don’t really want to do that.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 am

Been playing with the two Vortex red dots that I have. One is a simple red dot. The other can change colour to green if you wish. But that one seems finicky with the on-off switch AND the colour change switch. It uses the Inc/Dec buttons for those functions and it doesn't seem to use them all that well. I am wondering if it's defective.

Anyhoo, I put the simple red dot on the SOCOM. Fits OK, but I have to loosen the rear sight to get some elevation on it. I can see the front sight through the mount but the rear is too low in its full down position. Of course it ought to be about 6-8 clicks up for basic shooting. We'll see how this all works out.

Looked at the scopes I have. I have ended up with 2 Vortex 1-6 and 1 Vortex 1-8 and 1 Leupold something or other (not sure). I think all have illuminated reticles. But none are long relief scopes as would be needed for the SOCOM. Will have to look further.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm