The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend - Page 2 Empty Re: 6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Post by Cornmastah Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:49 pm

So, in celebration of the election results (house and senate included), I decided to take the plunge on yet another caliber. I ordered a barrel and bolt for the 338 spectre cartrige. I also ordered 500 rounds of brass from starline (10mm magnum). Just need to get some funky dies and throw the upper together. Probably be nice to get a 338 bullet mold for cheap plinking too.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend - Page 2 Empty Re: 6.8 SPC - I Can No Longer Recommend

Post by Cornmastah Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:07 pm

I built this and loaded my first rounds this weekend and tested it out. Barrel full of fun! I will post a video later. I ended up building it into a nice little sbr so that with a suppressor it is about normal length or shorter.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:59 pm

OK. I'll bite. ?What in tarnation is a 338 Spectre. Doubt it has anything to do with the nefarious criminal organization of all the Bond movies.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Devereaux wrote:OK. I'll bite. ?What in tarnation is a 338 Spectre. Doubt it has anything to do with the nefarious criminal organization of all the Bond movies.
    Basically it is a bigger version of 300blk.  It takes the larger (more expensive but higher BC) .338 bullets and shoots them in a standard sized AR15 using necked down 10mm magnum brass.  It uses 6.8spc bolt and mags.  Huge bullet, very quiet... or less huge bullet that hits pretty hard.  Basically something else for me to mess around with.  I love playing with different calibers.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Hmmm. ?Is this something CF might want to do. He has a 6.8 I believe, which he is finding rather useless - no large capacity mags (or perhaps ANY mags).

?So is this just a goof-off round or is there actually a purpose.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Still liking the 6.8 for it's accuracy and terminal ballistics.

Except the .300 and the 6.5s et al. have stolen all the oxygen out of the system. However, there seems to be a possible revitalization of the cartridge. I'm getting more and more requests for the ammo and advice.  

I hadn't known that the 10mm (gots one!) and the 6.8's Remington .30 donor cartridge share the same cartridge web. (They don't - I blonded.) Interesting. Thanx Dev and Corn. Keep us informed.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Been working on my DMRish (Designated Marksman Rifle) build. I've got a Krieger match 20" .223 Wylde barrel in a 7.7 twist. It'll shoot the 77gr bullets and should be an honest 600 yard shooter.

The theory is the DMR can be a semi-sniper and still use the standard 55gr 5.56 in a pinch. Been fun, but the 18" free floating hand-guard I want has been unobtainium.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Devereaux wrote:Hmmm. ?Is this something CF might want to do. He has a 6.8 I believe, which he is finding rather useless - no large capacity mags (or perhaps ANY mags).

?So is this just a goof-off round or is there actually a purpose.

Meh, it could work well for doing several things like killing hogs, deer, etc... but when it comes down to it, it is fun to shoot.  I don't really hunt, so I guess you could say most of my guns don't have an actual purpose other than the hobby and enjoyment.  I haven't needed to defend myself with a gun either in my lifetime... so yeah--for fun's sake.  What can I say, I am a caliber collector...

Oh and it uses 10mm magnum brass, not regular 10mm brass.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Cornmastah wrote:

Oh and it uses 10mm magnum brass, not regular 10mm brass.

Learn something new every day...

Thanx.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:30 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I've been tinkering with the .277 wolverine. If you want (almost) the same performance as the 6.8spc but without the special mags or bolt, the .277 wolverine does it--just a barrel swap.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am

Well, this was unexpected... The Army is considering adopting a 6.8 for squad support weapons.

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/us-army-6-8mm-weapon-systems/?fbclid=IwAR2Ac60K6Sj0A4hLPPs7dJHhNYg3QTQFcxHxhliRQRuWybAdV9Kdu5mywfc

Still trying to find independent confirmation.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=0954032272b6d0e198b5263ac57e848e&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

Interestingly, the RFI does not mention a cartridge by name, just specifying a 6.8mm projectile, which will be provided by the Army. The 6.8 SPC II  prolly must be considered the front-runner, with it's long record and successful use by several militaries and special forces.  But, you never know, given the Army's decades-long obsession with collapsible or caseless cartridges.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:20 am

As I feared, the Army won't be using the 6.8 SPC II cartridge in their new rifle. Rather, they've spec'd out a 6.8 bullet in a telescoping, high-pressure, high-cost cartridge.  

What the Army is facing is the stark reality that Eugene's brainchild has evolved into a highly effective, low cost platform. It's the 5.56 round itself that is now aging out. Today, the 55gr bullet is a bit anemic with the prevalence of body armor and the hopped-up Johnny Jihadis. However, a proven round like the 6.8 SPC, or even the 300 BLK, could solve that problem. But.... what's the fun of that?  There's all this R&D money to be spent!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 pm

The 300 BLK is more of a room-clearing round. It seems best in an SBR with a can. You can clean a room nicely with the 200gr subsonic round and the can keeps the noise to an acceptable level. It's loud enough in combat outside, never mind inside a room or building.

What Afghanistan taught was that once again killing range IS important. The .308 was good to 850, and probably more. I suspect the .30-'06 was more. There are clearly times when shorter range is OK. Europe may be like that. But, as you mention, body armor has evolved. The newer rounds no longer work against a kevlared man, even the steel core stuff. You need bigger bullets. Check some of the body armor sites, which civiies can get and you find that most defeats 5.56 but not .308, and therefore certainly not .30-'06.

Back to heavier combat loads it looks like. Today's rucks are too heavy by a half.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Read that a Marine's total combat loadout in the Stan weighs 155-175 lbs. That's nuts, especially in 130 degree temps. The guys aren't much heavier than their equipment.

Another article coyly described the Army's 6.8 bullet as a "dart". Hmm.

I'm just afraid the Army will propose this wiz-bang, sci-fi, uber-veapon that kills via sticker shock. And the poor grunts will continue to soldier on with a substandard cartridge because the replacement weapon system is completely unaffordable.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, but that load is a bit deceptive. It includes the "personal hydration system" (camelback drinking system) plus the full battle rattle and helmet. The helmet was originally light but has added weight over time as things have changed in it, including NVD's and stronger construction. Plus there's the ammo load, which is included. Don't know what they are loading out with but I would bet at least 15 mags (450 rounds). Then there's the question of additional "requirements" (my first company commander required each man to carry a mortar round), plus extra ammo for the machine guns, grenades, claymores, flares, batteries for the radios, smokes, pop-up's. It adds up quickly.

STILL - that's a LOT of weight.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Can't believe I actually carried all that shit once.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 am