The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

NooB CCW Holder

MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

NooB CCW Holder - Page 2 Empty Re: NooB CCW Holder

Post by MrJim Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:29 pm

...and a good belt makes ALL the difference in carry...wish I learned that lesson way back then..
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 pm

For administrative handling of the firearm at night - I've been taking the gun out of the holster, putting it in a gun rug, then placing it in the gun locker in the bedroom. No unloading.

Is their a better - safer - more accepted best practice methodology?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 am

I sleep with mine under my pillow.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 am

The wife's cat-bastard would be a goner.

I do have a full size with light and laser nearby for nighttime bedroom duty.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Heh, heh! That would be an OK result, too. Probably bother the neighbors from the noise, though.

I have issues with loaded guns. I have guns that are loaded and ones that aren't. They aren't always the same ones. SO ... what I have developed as an unfailing habit of looking at every gun before I mess with it, even if I know it's unloaded. Every once in e LONG while I catch a loaded gun, but mostly it's uncommon. BUT that once in a while is nice to see that the system works.

My point is that I don't believe there is an issue with a loaded weapon, BUT you should recheck it every morning when you put it on your belt. Just like you check weapons when you mess with them.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 pm

I keep the regular carry rotation handguns in a small safe next to the bed. I have this ritual I go through every night before going to sleep, that includes making sure the designated home defense pistol is loaded, speedloaders and flashlight are handy, and then setting it in the safe so that it can be reached quickly if needed. Then I leave the safe door open.

It's just difficult enough to reach that I've gotta be thinking before getting my hand on it, and easy enough that it can be accessed very quickly.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:51 pm

You're a good man, TJ.

I'm too old to reach well, so I find more and more I have a 226 at my side. I can reach it without any significant movement. What with my CPAP and my poor hearing, I feel that I might not have much time for reaction. I DO have a home alarm system, and it's pretty good, but all those things can be bypassed.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Update:

Carrying more or less every time I'm away from the home. So far, so good.

I need to work much more on the draw. Especially, on getting the cover garment out of the way.

I think I need a purpose built gun belt. My good belts might not be stiff enough. Any recommendations?

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm

I personally like the "Real Man's Belt" from Simply Rugged. I had one for about 5 years, and I just bought another to replace it. That's after carrying large revolvers IWB wherever legal, pretty much 7 days a week.

It's pretty simple, just thick tough leather. Costs about $50.00. I've owned a Wilderness Tactical Belt, and 2 different leather CCW belts with Kydex inserts, but I will never get anything other than the Simply Rugged belt in the future. Tough, sturdy and comfortable.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks, TJ.

Gotta report: I was "Made" Saturday.

Fortunately, it was at a trap field, by a range officer, but it's a fail nonetheless. I was futzing around the trap range, waiting my turn again, when a range officer approached me. "You wearing concealed?" "Uh.... yeah"; I stammered. "It's not. Not a problem. I carry myself. But you need to keep it hidden. No one has noticed, but I know what to look for."

Oh, shi'ite.  

I was wearing a new synthetic lightweight sweatshirt. It's really light and comfortable, and it has strong elastic bands at the neck, cuffs, and waist. -- I'm damn sure you know where this is going. -- When I repetitively bent over to police my shells, the elastic waist rode up and up -- until the pistol was partially exposed. Carp! Spent the rest of the time tugging the hem down, which I'm sure was another tell.  

Aw, heck: ANOTHER lesson learned.  Long tailed shirts - without an elastic hem.  

Oh -- and I bought a house -- which was why I was engaging in some recoil therapy.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am

Dang, that's a real bummer to be made so early in your concealed carry experience.

Your story reminded me of a lesson drilled into me years ago. I once spent several years studying combative arts under an older gentleman who taught hand to hand with Airborne units. One of his many catch-phrases, cited often during grapping classes, was "Nothing good can ever happen from bending over or from sticking your butt in the air."

At the time, I thought that was also good advice for concealed carriers.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Well, not really a bummer, as MO is an open-carry state; so no harm: no foul. Still I failed in my duty to keep it concealed. Did learn, tho... Better next time.

And I heartily agree with your SD instructor. Wink
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Yeah I don't worry to much these days about being "made" since PA is an "open carry" state..

Read earlier today that my birth state Kansas is becoming a very friendly OC/CC state Smile
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 pm

July 1st -- Kansas become a Constitutional Carry state!   Yay, Jayhawks!

The Progressive's panty wadding is approaching 4.5 on the Richter scale.  Wink
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Horray Jayhawks!

Unfortunately, Illinois continues to be its usual nasty self. But we DO have CCW AND Shall Issue. OTOH, all kind of people were hoping Speaker Madigan would keep his pissed-off mode a while longer. He was hostile because the downstate dems informed him they would not vote for anything that did not have those two things. HOWEVER the current story is that had he let the 6 mo time limit expire, the fed judge was going to impliment constitutional carry on Illinois. It was Cullerton, Majority Leader of the Senate (guess where he's from) that convinced him to pass the law and at least have some control. But apparently downstate was hoping Madigan would be his usual self - unable to accept anyone else but himself as the ruler of laws. We did manage to get some provisions in that blocked Lisa Madigan, State Attorney (and his daughter) from being able to publish the list of those with CCW's.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:54 pm

As Gun Culture 2.0 and CCW gain popularity, there's going to be a growing enthusiasm and involvement in firearms laws and the political process. Gun owners with skin in the game vote in heavy percentages. Seen it happen in other states - and the reverse happen in California.

Chicagoland pols might be in deeeep trouble. Dev, you should stock up on concrete with the coming demand for cement overshoes.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Just finished my CCW application. It has been filed electronically, along with my fingerprints. The electronic prints have come some way - they are much easier to get good prints. I once had to do this back in PA and it took a LONG time to get a good set of prints.

Now to pay my taxes. I HATE this!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Just filed my taxes - late because of the complications of having two households in two states. But, nevermind that...

Had to go to the only Post Office open after 5:00: the one in downtown St Louis. My GPS had me traversing the center of old St Louis - which I found is a freakin' war zone. I didn't know better. And I was disarmed because I was going to be on Federal property and can't have a weapon. I REALLY missed my CCW.  

I went home another way - older and wiser. The CCW is on the hip now - and I feel much better. Damn the Government that made me travel 40 miles unarmed, because of those last few yard on government property.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 am

?Does not Missouri have the auto as a safe haven, so you can lock your weapon in the gloce box while you run into the PO and back.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:00 am

I grew up in SW Missouri~once when I was little we went on vacation in the St Louis area (Six Flags over MidAmerica)...dad made sure to drive us through the ghetto sections of St Louis just to show us how good we had it back home (he always did that no matter where we went...KC, Memphis, Dallas, OKC, any large city he had to drive us through the poor sections lol)...in fact, whenever we kids had the backyard or our rooms messed up he would say "Clean this up, this looks like East St Louis!" lol!   Somehow Kansas City was the more respectful of the two major MO metropolises (sort of like here in PA where Pittsburgh isn't considered as rough as Philly)..

ok derail is over...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 am

Devereaux wrote:?Does not Missouri have the auto as a safe haven, so you can lock your weapon in the gloce box while you run into the PO and back.

Don't know for certain, Dev. Need to find out. However, my CCW instructor was adamant that we not bring a weapon onto Post Office property - buildings and parking lots.

And I've got a gun safe that's cabled to the pax seat supports.  

BTW, a couple of sumdoods got shot last night on that route.

Jim, St Lou remains a very livable city - but there are pockets of OMFG.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:?Does not Missouri have the auto as a safe haven, so you can lock your weapon in the gloce box while you run into the PO and back.

Don't know for certain, Dev. Need to find out. However, my CCW instructor was adamant that we not bring a weapon onto Post Office property - buildings and parking lots.

And I've got a gun safe that's cabled to the pax seat supports.  

BTW, a couple of sumdoods got shot last night on that route.

Jim, St Lou remains a very livable city - but there are pockets of OMFG.  

Laughing yeah funny I never got a tour of those parts of town..
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Speaking of CCW warmer weather rolled in~first "pocket carry" of the season yesterday when I tucked the .32 Tomcat into my jeans pocket...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Pocket carry -- gotta get with that. Hearing good things about the Ruger LC9S Pro. Anyone have any insights?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Check out the Shield. I pocket carry it from time to time (like last night, since I can't shoot with my right hand from my tendon surgery). Desantis makes the Nemesis pocket holster - cheap and works well for the intended purpose.

LC's in 9 have a tendency to hurt some when you shoot them. Plus they have that LONG DA trigger - what I wanted for my daughter (in .380) but you might find that a bit putting off.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm