The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Alien Gear IWB II

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Alien Gear IWB II Empty Alien Gear IWB II

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:10 pm

I've been wearing an Alien Gear IWB II holster for about 2 months. Still like it, still feels comfortable, even in St Loonie's heat and humidity.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Alien Gear IWB II Empty Re: Alien Gear IWB II

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:04 pm

I think I'm gonna have to check out this holster. I'm in need of a replacement for holsters for a Glock 20 and a 1911. These looked pretty good to me. Thanks CF.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Just got an email from Alien Gear - there's now a Cloak Tuck III IWB. Know nothing about it. They are still offering a good deal on 2 holsters.    

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the clips Alien Gear uses. They have detached when I've bent over or squated - rarely and never catastrophically, fortunately. I just end up with one side loose and the holster/ gun riding up.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 pm

That's good to know.

I am notoriously hard on clips on these hybrid style holsters. I've bent kydex clips on a Comp Tac Minotaur to the point where they needed replacing, and I've broken off kydex clips on Theis holsters. So far, the toughest clips I've found are Crossbreed metal clips. Galco uses some good strong metal clips, too. They connect with 2 screws on each clip.

On these types of holsters, I'm at the point where I prefer metal clips that attach with a regular type screw head (slotted or phillips), so I can tighten them as needed with a Leatherman. I have a hybrid holster I bought while on vacation from a local maker, and the clips are held in by screws with the tiniest little allen heads. I hate those. The screw heads are almost stripped out.

Someday, I'm going to find a hybrid IWB holster that uses leather loops with snaps to attach to the belt. And I will buy enough loops for all 6 of my hybrid holsters.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:27 pm

OK. Stupid question. ?Why do you prefer IWB rather than OWB, when in either case you have to wear your shirt untucked.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 pm

BTW, CF, ?still like that mag carrier. It looked pretty neat the day I saw it. I might consider one for my 229 mags, if they make those.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 am

There are 2 primary reasons why I prefer IWB over OWB.

The first and primary reason is, I usually carry full sized guns, with full sized grips. I have found no OWB holster that pulls the grip in as tight to my body as an IWB holster. I have found some that come close (like a solid pancake holster), but none that pull it in as tight. Also, since the barrel goes into the pants, I can carry a full-length barrel.

The second is, IWB allows a slightly larger margin of error in daily movement. If I need to reach in a pocket for my keys or my wallet, I'm not worried about the barrel of the gun becoming exposed. I only need to be concerned about the belt line becoming exposed.

Finally, I'm at a point in life where I've been carrying IWB for so long, my entire wardrobe is geared around it. If I don't have a 1911, GP100 or N-frame tucked into my pants, I have to constantly hitch them up.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Devereaux wrote:BTW, CF, ?still like that mag carrier. It looked pretty neat the day I saw it. I might consider one for my 229 mags, if they make those.

Haven't found anything better. Don't think I will. I tried horizontal and vertical holders, but they were much harder to conceal, and not nearly as comfortable -- or faster to employ. SnagMag for the win!  

I'm pretty sure that they make SIG holders.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:30 am

Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB 2.0 Failure

Aw, hell. The base for my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB 2.0 has failed. There's a sheet of plastic between the leather and neoprene, and it cracked completely through in two places. The holster is partially usable, but retention would be an issue. So, it's deadlined.  

I really like the holster for the 5 months I've been wearing it. To be fair, I've been wearing the holster while moving and setting up the new house, so it has experienced more than it's share of deep knee bends, squats, stretches and moaning softly huddled in a corner whilst slowly rocking back and forth... Still, I'm disappointed.

AG has gone to an IWB 3.0, which substitutes spring steel for the plastic. I'll bet they were seeing a lot of these failures. They're offering an "upgrade" from the 2.0 to 3.0 for "only" $8. A cynic (card carrying) would say they want me to pay for their recall.

We'll see how well Alien Gear's Forever/ No Question warranty works. I've called them - was only able to talk to a machine, and they haven't called back.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:34 pm

LOVE talking to machines - they make SO much sense when you hold a discussion with them.

You all know I am not an IWB wearer. I have a Mitch Rosen snap on (?R5-G or something like that - the one with snaps for the belt rather than slots to slide the belt through). But I also have a couple Yaqui or Slide holsters. They are basically a piece of leather that snaps onto your belt, with a second piece that hold the weapon. So the weapon is held only by a strip of leather, rather than a whole basket. Mine also have a leather tab that rises up from the leather to keep the weapon off your bare skin above the waist line.

I really like these. A friend makes them, so I got them cheap (like free - I keep trying to tell him I need to pay him something but he refuses), but I believe they are fairly inexpensive as hand made stuff goes. If I can figure out how to put up a picture, I will put up pics of both.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Actually reached a real live customer service Alien. Finally.

Happy to report they will ship me two new 3.0 IWB bases without the nonsense of shipping back the failed parts. It will cost me an $8 upgrade to the new 3.0 spring steel base. They gave me two upgrades even though the second holster has not failed (yet.) The She-Alien all but acknowledged that they have to recommend the new 3.0 because of problems with the former model.

So despite the irritation factor, I'm still fairly happy with Alien Gear. I'll be without a functioning holster for 7-10 business days. Sucks, as I've become accustomed to that comforting weight on my hip.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Which merely points out that you need to have more than one holster, and possibly more than one gun to carry. ?What if your weapon needed to go to the gunsmith.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Devereaux wrote:Which merely points out that you need to have more than one holster, and possibly more than one gun  to carry. ?What if your weapon needed to go to the gunsmith.

Good points. I could cobber together something - but it wouldn't be top notch. I do have another full set up - but it involves using the Princess' guns (M&P 9s, whilst I'm a Glock fanboy.) I haven't asked her yet - you see, I've got this bum knee.... And lord, I've got enough Glocks to fill a functioning holster many times over.

Always been my intention to have a full back-up, once I had enough experience to know what I wanted. Actually, the AG 2.0 failure somewhat validates that approach. Rig and re-rig coming soon.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:17 pm

After I had to re-order kydex clips for a hybrid IWB holster, and waited patiently for them to arrive, I decided I needed to get a second holster for my most carried handguns.

I settled on the Simply Rugged Sourdough holster, with IWB straps. Bought one for a GP100 and another for my n-frame S&W's. I liked this one best for a substitute because it gave the option of IWB or OWB, so it could serve for different modes of carry (although I still always carry IWB unless I absolutely don't care about concealment, like when I'm at the shooting range for an extended time period). Even has slots for cross draw carry if I'm in the mood.

I'm not saying it would be a good choice for everyone, just that it worked for me. It actually works quite well in IWB mode for me with the big revolvers.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 pm

So, looking back, it looks like you got less than 6 months use out of your holster. That seems pretty pitiful. ?How come you are staying with the same brand.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:57 pm

1) I'm cheap. A fully functioning holster for $8 is too good to pass up.
    2) I really liked the AG - right up to the time it broke. New new spring steel/ plastic laminate sounds like it has a good chance of success.
    3) Lifetime warranty
    4) I'm cheap
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 pm

You carry a weapon because you don't want to die. #1&4 are not compatible with living. Not in SD.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm