The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Firebase Foxtrot SitRep

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Firebase Foxtrot SitRep Empty Firebase Foxtrot SitRep

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:07 pm

SitRep:

Firebase Foxtrot has successfully exfiltrated from the enemy held territory of St Louis. A new, permanent forward base of operations has been established west of the rivers. The bridges have been mined; ready to be dropped in case the natives get restless.

Systems, such as security, nutrition, communications and coffee, are slowly coming back on line. However, Firebase Foxtrot is definitely in limp-mode. Entropy has been contained - and will hopefully be reduced in the coming hours, days and years. In the meantime, our lives are divided into hundreds of cryptically labeled cardboard boxes.

Took time from the chaos to attend a Cardinals game. The seats were great - just back from first base. A Card hit a skying foul ball which landed 10 feet away to the sound of bruises. It emerged from the scrum rolling directly toward me and I was on it like Rosie O'Donnell snarfing up the last donut. It's my first foul ball after all the years of attending MLB. I take it that as an omen of Odin's approval of the changes.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Firebase Foxtrot SitRep Empty Re: Firebase Foxtrot SitRep

Post by Cornmastah Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Awesome! congrats on the ball. Stay safe.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:SitRep:

Firebase Foxtrot has successfully enfiltrated from the enemy held territory of St Louis. A new, permanent forward base of operations has been established west of the rivers. The bridges have been mined; ready to be dropped in case the natives get restless.

Systems, such as security, nutrition, communications and coffee, are slowly coming back on line. However, Firebase Foxtrot is definitely in limp-mode. Entropy has been contained - and will hopefully be reduced in the coming hours, days and years. In the meantime, our lives are divided into hundreds of cryptically labeled cardboard boxes.

Took time from the chaos to attend a Cardinals game. The seats were great - just back from first base. A Card hit a skying foul ball which landed 10 feet away to the sound of bruises. It emerged from the scrum rolling directly toward me and I was on it like Rosie O'Donnell snarfing up the last donut. It's my first foul ball after all the years of attending MLB. I take it that as an omen of Odin's approval of the changes.

You been watching too much Falling Skies. (What a ridiculous concept! The Second Massachusetts! Like Mass is a great gun state. They would have been wiped out in the first wave.)
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:12 am

Never heard of Falling Skies. Any good? On Netflicks?

Always laughed at the concept of a technological powerful space faring race coming here -- and getting it's assets kicked. You know, as if we went into Afghanistan and... wait...
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:04 am

Oh, it's one of those TNT series about how aliens invade and enslave or kill numerous humans and how the humans fight back. The usual stuff.

But the part that is weird is that the resistance group that is the center of the story is the 2nd Mass, led by no less than some professor. The likelyhood of that is simply off the scale. Just the thought that Massachusetts comes up with a militia unit that is armed in and of itself is preposterous. Then there's the professor part. I have been watching some of it, but truth to tell, I think I may well erase it from the listing of shows that I am recording. It is getting a bit boring. Usual weird aliens that act primitively but are controlled by nondescript leaders with telepathic ability.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:30 am

I watch some Falling Skies when seasons come up on Amazon Prime..

I was raised in the Missouri Ozarks~only got to St Louis once when the family went to Six Flags there back in the mid 70s....got to KC way more often...KC & StL have the same reputation as Pittsburgh & Philly here...one is a rather violent rough city to avoid and the has a bit of charm and not quite as rough Laughing
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:48 am

Yeah, but which is which. Pittsburgh is aa steel town, and you would think it's tough, but my impression is that Philly is a lot worse. Can't really speak to KC & StL.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:16 am

Well, Dev, there was an extremely effective Revolutionary War leader, renown for his military prowess. Funny thing, he had no prior military experience and had never led men, but he was a voracious reader of military history, tactics and military science. When History came calling, he responded. I believe it's Nathanael Greene, but I've slept since then. Gives hope to this armchair warrior. Wink

And in Masshole, you can have a neutered version of the AR-15, without a flash hider, bayonet mount, and the extremely evil collapsing stock. Mags are limited to 10 rounds. What I don't know if Mass' populace has the same libbie urban and rural and suburban gunnies division. I've been told that even in MA, freedom's flame still burns, sadly diminished though.  So.... maybe not all that preposterous, certainly less so than Hillary's presidential campaign.

I'm going to take a look at Falling Skies.  

MrJim, I've been boots on the ground in St Loo for six months. It's a surprisingly pleasant, livable and amiably integrated city. However, there are about 25 sq miles of absolute hell where crime, drugs, gangs and poverty rule. And it's worse across the river in East St Louis, Illinoid.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Speaking of Revolutionary times isn't applicable. First, tactics were a lot simpler. Second, the people in America were mostly people who still lived in a relative wilderness, so survival skills, even for those living in Boston or New York City, were present. Third, pretty much EVERYONE was not only armed but skilled in the use of arms.

Compare that to today. Weaponry in Mass have been on the downtrend for some time. Handguns require, at least prior to Heller permission from the local police chief to own. You could technically own one but it had to stay in your house, AND there was no legal way to transport it from the store to the house, if the cops wanted to be Massholes - and they often do.

I do not know the current legal stand on AR's but I suspect it is much like having a CCW - difficult. I had a CCW back in the days of college (60's) but that was only because I was part of a pistol competition team shooting bullseye. Local chief gave them to members if the club would certify you were a regular member. Except it was then a complete CCW - you could go anywhere concealed. They didn't have half steps; I expect it was because they had few who owned pistols.

NOW, lastly, Nathanial Greene and modern college professors are like oil and water, black and white, day and night. Ain't no common ground except both walk on legs (well, maybe modern prof's actually crawl on their bellies like snakes, but that hasn't been confirmed).
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Well, Dev, there was an extremely effective Revolutionary War leader, renown for his military prowess. Funny thing, he had no prior military experience and had never led men, but he was a voracious reader of military history, tactics and military science. When History came calling, he responded. I believe it's Nathanael Greene, but I've slept since then. Gives hope to this armchair warrior.  Wink

And in Masshole, you can have a neutered version of the AR-15, without a flash hider, bayonet mount, and the extremely evil collapsing stock. Mags are limited to 10 rounds. What I don't know if Mass' populace has the same libbie urban and rural and suburban gunnies division. I've been told that even in MA, freedom's flame still burns, sadly diminished though.  So.... maybe not all that preposterous, certainly less so than Hillary's presidential campaign.

I'm going to take a look at Falling Skies.  

MrJim, I've been boots on the ground in St Loo for six months. It's a surprisingly pleasant, livable and amiably integrated city. However, there are about 25 sq miles of absolute hell where crime, drugs, gangs and poverty rule. And it's worse across the river in East St Louis, Illinoid.

Razz My dad would use this expression whenever the backyard or bedroom was a mess: "This looks like East St. Louis" ~ on the vacation mentioned he drove us through the worst of East St. Louis...but then wherever we went on vacation he sought out the ghetto areas to try to show us how good we had it Very Happy
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Devereaux wrote:Yeah, but which is which. Pittsburgh is aa steel town, and you would think it's tough, but my impression is that Philly is a lot worse. Can't really speak to KC & StL.

Pittsburgh/KC are nicer and more civilized than StL/Philly~~~~but that is just my biased opinion Cool
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Falling Skies... so much makes no sense in that show.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Cornmastah wrote:Falling Skies...  so much makes no sense in that show.

Kind of the epitaph of most of what is produced today.

?Ever notice how much stuff is either recycled or plagerized. Not much original stuff out there.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:49 pm

So, CF. ?Things quieted down some your way.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Devereaux wrote:

?Ever notice how much stuff is either recycled or plagerized. Not much original stuff out there.

Yeah, it gets a little boring...

Falling Skies, though, makes no sense when it comes to the survival & combat priorities. The leader of the group constantly goes on "suicide" missions for lower priority purposes. I guess it is just a TV show, but man--I would think the producers would be able to make such a better show by now.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:

Falling Skies, though, makes no sense when it comes to the survival & combat priorities.  The leader of the group constantly goes on "suicide" missions for lower priority purposes.  I guess it is just a TV show, but man--I would think the producers would be able to make such a better show by now.

Guess you take what you can get...watched a season of "Defiance" sort of that same sort ~ post-apocalyptic US with aliens..got through one season, started the second...just got tired of it....rather watch "Mountain Man" Cool
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:20 pm

I watched a bunch of Longmire and enjoyed it. If you haven't seen it, take a look. BTW sorry to hijack this thread CF.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:

Falling Skies, though, makes no sense when it comes to the survival & combat priorities.  The leader of the group constantly goes on "suicide" missions for lower priority purposes.  I guess it is just a TV show, but man--I would think the producers would be able to make such a better show by now.

Actually, for Falling Skies it makes sense. After all, what would a psychology college professor from Massachusetts know about survival or tactics.

OTOH, Last Ship has a similar problem. The captain keeps going off of the ship on these missions. Mostly they are a dumb use of a ship's captain. I could understand a large scale raid or something along those lines, but even then ships' captains DON'T leave their ship. That's what you have XO's and other junior officers for.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I watched a bunch of Longmire and enjoyed it.  If you haven't seen it, take a look.  BTW sorry to hijack this thread CF.

I had a coworker say the same...I guess two telling me means I should check it out... Cool
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:37 pm

MrJim wrote:
    Cornmastah wrote:I watched a bunch of Longmire and enjoyed it.  If you haven't seen it, take a look.  BTW sorry to hijack this thread CF.

I had a coworker say the same...I guess two telling me means I should check it out... Cool

Make it three. I watched the whole series and liked it. I am hoping it will come back for another season.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content