The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets Empty Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets

Post by Cornmastah Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm

I ended up picking up some Ramshot Competition powder recently and did some testing. The powder looks like kitty litter but with smaller grains--it meters VERY well. I get consistent metering with my powder throws--much better than Unique (one of my favorite powders). I loaded and tested some of my blue 230 gr powder coated cast bullets with around 4 gr of the Competition powder. I shot at an indoor range and was unable to chrono the loads, but they shot well on paper. I think this powder will replace my other preferred powders for 45 ACP and become my default.

Here is a pic of the loaded ammo:

Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets Blue45s
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets Empty Re: Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets

Post by Tennessee Jed Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 am

Interesting. I take it Ramshot is a fast burning powder?
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets Empty Re: Testing new powder in 45 ACP with coated cast bullets

Post by Cornmastah Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Competition is the powder name, and yes it is a fast burning powder. Ramshot makes various powders, including my favorite 223 powder: TAC.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 am

Just a quick update on this.  I think I have shot about 500-600 rounds of 45 acp ammo with this powder.  I like it.  It meters great and shoots great.  It fills up the case enough so I don't worry about not seeing a double charge when I give it the "eyeball once over" check.  If you come across a bunch of this powder and it is cheap, you might want to try it out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am