The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

1903 Springfield

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

1903 Springfield Empty 1903 Springfield

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Guess who finally got a 1903 Springfield -- This Guy!  

A Remington Model 1903-A3 just about fell into my lap at my local gun show. I was at a booth, chatting with a local gun-rights broadcast personality, when I noticed an odd front sight blade behind the table.  Iz dat an '03???  It certainly was. They had just bought a small selection of guns from an eclectic mil-surp collector. A deal was quickly struck.  

To my limited understanding, the rifle seems to be in very good shape. The metal is unrusted and still has original parkerization, the wood has the correct cartouches and has some modorate "experience." The bore is bright with well defined, sharp lands and the crown is unmarked. The trigger is nice - however, not as nice as some other specimens I've shot. The rear sight seems correct. Overall, I'm very pleased: I've been looking for a 1903 for years.  

At $880, it wasn't a great deal - certainly not Dev's eye-waterer.  Instead of overpaying, I'm choosing to believe I simply bought a little too early. These mil-surps are steadily increasing in price.

This completes my triumvirate of WWII US arms: The Garand, the M-03A3, and the M-1 Carbine.  I've also got the British Lee Enfield No. 4. Plus a couple of Mosin-Nagant tomato stakes. Now for the German Mauser. Saw a lot of Turkish Mausers at the Fun Show... thoughts? I know to stay away from most Spanish Mausers.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

1903 Springfield Empty Re: 1903 Springfield

Post by Cornmastah Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Congrats on the find!  I found one of those from AIM earlier this year and snagged it.  Mine came with a new Criterion barrel.  I need to give mine more range time--but been busy figuring out new loads for weird calibers/cartridges.  As far as the Mausers go, you going to try to find a German one or would you settle with a yugo (they have a few left at one of my local shops)?  I have one of the spanish .308 conversions, and I must say... the spanish mausers are not nearly as nice as some of the others (quality and design). If you ever get a chance to buy a swiss rifle, I think you should. Those swiss straight pull rifles are great! I have the k31 and a k1911 long rifle and they are amazing shooters! With the GP11 surplus ammo, they shoot like a target rifle with match ammo.

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Guess who finally got a 1903 Springfield -- This Guy!  

A Remington Model 1903-A3 just about fell into my lap at my local gun show. I was at a booth, chatting with a local gun-rights broadcast personality, when I noticed an odd front sight blade behind the table.  Iz dat an '03???  It certainly was. They had just bought a small selection of guns from an eclectic mil-surp collector. A deal was quickly struck.  

To my limited understanding, the rifle seems to be in very good shape. The metal is unrusted and still has original parkerization, the wood has the correct cartouches and has some modorate "experience." The bore is bright with well defined, sharp lands and the crown is unmarked. The trigger is nice - however, not as nice as some other specimens I've shot. The rear sight seems correct. Overall, I'm very pleased: I've been looking for a 1903 for years.  

At $880, it wasn't a great deal - certainly not Dev's eye-waterer.  Instead of overpaying, I'm choosing to believe I simply bought a little too early. These mil-surps are steadily increasing in price.

This completes my triumvirate of WWII US arms: The Garand, the M-03A3, and the M-1 Carbine.  I've also got the British Lee Enfield No. 4. Plus a couple of Mosin-Nagant tomato stakes. Now for the German Mauser. Saw a lot of Turkish Mausers at the Fun Show... thoughts? I know to stay away from most Spanish Mausers.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Hey Corny! Good to hear from you again!

Yeah, I think I'll stick to the German Mausers. I've gotten an earful when I posted similar questions on MeWe and Facedbook. Turkish, Spanish, Argentinian, etc; no bueno. Although the Brazillian Mausers are getting good noise. An acquaintance was bragging about his Israeli captured Mauser! Fascinating history.

Spent some time massaging the 03 gunflesh. Man, a little synth oil and that bolt gliiiiiiiiiides now. I'm now of the opinion that I lucked out. The gun was late war production, and looks to have been shot very little. I popped the little hatch on the buttplate and found the original cleaning kit - still wrapped in the shipping paper. With just a light boresnaking, the bore shines! Can't wait to get it to the range.

I've shot a couple of Swiss straight pulls. They ARE cool, but procuring the ammo and the stripper clips is problematic from what I hear. But, damn that thing is FAST!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 am

?Which are you speaking of.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Devereaux wrote:

?Which are you speaking of.

Didn't you get a 1903 several months ago for a great price - or am I having a blonde attack?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Never owned a Springfield. Had one of the .303 Springfields that a friend who collects wanted so I sold it. It didn’t really belong to me; one of my best friends dies and it was his son’s, who happens to also be my godson. So I sold it for him. But I neither have had one nor wanted one. I know, I know - they are iconic. But they don’t do much for me. Give me a Garand or M14 any day.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Devereaux wrote:Never owned a Springfield. Had one of the .303 Springfields that a friend who collects wanted so I sold it. It didn’t really belong to me; one of my best friends dies and it was his son’s, who happens to also be my godson. So I sold it for him.  But I neither have had one nor wanted one. I know, I know - they are iconic. But they don’t do much for me. Give me a Garand or M14 any day.

Well, Hells.

I'd say I've lost my mind.... but it's small, and sick, and couldn't have gotten far....

I'm a semi fan also, and lub me some M1(s). Then a friend in St Loo pulled out a 1903 out from under the bed. It had been carried by his wife's father or grandfather in the Big War. We took it out to his farm, and the neighborhood spent an enjoyable day turning money into noise.  It seemed I couldn't miss with that thing.  

Wanted one since....

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:34 am

I’ve nrbrt doubted the accuracy of the ‘03. It is, after all, a stolen Mauser design (too bad S&W never got compensation for all the stolen #1 & #3 revolvers the Europeans simply stole). I have, from time to time, considered buying one of those Mitchell Mausers, but they’re Yugoslavian. I’ve seen one of the boxes Mitchell sends out and it’s neat. And it used to be pretty cheap, especially for an ultimately accurate rifle. And what other rifle than an accurate one is interresting, after all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content