The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Glock Knuckle and Potential Fix

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Glock Knuckle and Potential Fix Empty Glock Knuckle and Potential Fix

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Lately I've been spending more time with Glocks. Giving my wheelguns a break for a little while. Before I go back to revolvers full time, I want to get the same level of comfort and familiarity shooting Glocks as I have with my revolvers.

With the extra time spent firing and dry-firing, I've noticed the skin rubbing a little raw and a callous developing on the side of the knuckle of my middle finger on my shooting hand, the part that makes contact with the underside of the trigger guard. I did a little research online and learned this syndrome even has a name, "Glock Knuckle".

What's happening is, there's a little cutout where the trigger guard meets the grip, which lowers the pistol deeper into your hand. Cool. Makes for a lower bore axis. However, that leaves a little hump in the trigger guard that contacts the front of your middle finger, and it rubs a little hard on your knuckle if you have long fingers. Also, the polymer at that spot is a tiny bit rough. I never noticed it before because I've not spent as much time shooting my Glocks consistently as I have lately. It is more of an issue for me with full power 10mm and 40 S&W ammo than a 9mm.

So now what? There are plenty of places that will reduce that hump for a fee. But what good is a plastic gun if I can't modify the shape myself? I took some sandpaper to the hump and smoothed it down a bit. Then I used progressively finer sandpaper to make it a nice, smooth surface. That section is now smooth as glass and MUCH more comfortable

Haven't shot the modified Glock yet, but I'm already feeling a huge difference in comfort when dry firing. I'm very anxious to get to the range this weekend and try it out. Will let you all know if it was a good idea, or just a stupid idea that I will regret.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Glock Knuckle and Potential Fix Empty Re: Glock Knuckle and Potential Fix

Post by Cornmastah Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 pm

I had the same problem with my g27 when I injured my middle finger middle knuckle. I ended up selling my g27 after that, and started carrying my g19--which didn't have the same problem for me.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:05 am

Heh, heh! Nice Block you got there, TJ! Very Happy
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Devereaux wrote:Heh, heh! Nice Block you got there, TJ! Very Happy

Yup, that's the idea. Rounding off the edges of the "Block".
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:05 pm

I have since put about 100 rounds through the 40 S&W, and about 150 rounds through the 10mm. The fix worked like a charm. No bumps, abrasions, or the like on the inside of the middle finger knuckle. Looks like this will work.

It's a little busy round here right now, but I'll try to post pictures soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:50 am