The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Foreign Policy

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Foreign Policy Empty Foreign Policy

Post by Devereaux Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm

I have of late been reading history and political science, particularly Angelo Codevilla. One of the interesting points he makes is that ALL foreign policy should be aimed at national interests.

He reviews some of the early precedents, the mistakes, and the refinements that the nation did. Much credit must go to Washington and to John Quincy Adams, who while he wasn't much of a president, was a giant when it came to establishing what America would think and do vis a vis foreign nations. Washngton established the concept that one should treat with all nations and not meddle in their internal affairs, that all we wanted was to be left alone and trade with everyone. Jefferson and Madison, despite their disdain for a military, discovered that when the big dogs fought, they demanded the little dogs were "either with them or against them". We wanted neither, but Jefferson and Madison discovered that was simply not a reality of the world. So we fought the War of 1812 and just barely managed to get through it with our reputation and position intact. It took Adams to finally figure out how to treat with other nations. And it took a Navy. (One of Adams' comments to Lord Castleraugh, then the PM of England, was, "If America had a third the navy you have, the Barbary pirates would no longer be heard from.")

So here we have Trump attempting to deal with China, Russia, the (God-forsaken) Middle East, Mexico, and Canada - and of course the EU & NATO - on some relatively equal basis, neither telling them what to do, nor allowing us to be put in a position of supplication. ?Why are the democrats howling so loudly then.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Foreign Policy Empty Re: Foreign Policy

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:36 pm

"Aimed at national interests"

When I think back over the last 26 years of diplomacy, I get a cold lump of dread in my stomach.

China, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Syria, Libya, .... etc, etc, etc.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Well, pick a couple out of your list and then list our national interests there.

Libya: ?What in tarnation did we have any business getting involved in that nation. Knocking off Gaddafi was a singularly stupid thing, and of no use to us. We had no national interest in being involved. Back when El Colonel was sabre rattling, Reagan sent a couple F-111's to set his thought straight, with great effect.

Syria: ?Can anyone explain to me just why we are interested in the least what that pig does. Yes, he's nasty, but I don't recollect any huge reaction when Mao mowed down the millions of Chinese or Stalin the Russians. ?So what business do we have in Syria.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 pm

With Hildabeast, you have to follow the money -- and the bodies.

Trump will be a tremendous success if the only thing he accomplishes is keeping that harpy out of office.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 pm