The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife Empty Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Amazon is having a pretty good Deal of the Day Sale (Friday, Dec 14, 2018) on a really good knife: A Kershaw Ken Onion Leek.

Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife 71Ymc%2BZOQaL._SL1500_

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Stainless-SpeedSafe-Reversible-Pocketclip/dp/B0009VC9Y0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544799305&sr=8-3&keywords=kershaw+leek

I favor the black, partially-serrated edge, which works on the modern fibers in seat belts, etc. It's also on sale, for a higher price. I ordered a spare.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife Empty Re: Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife

Post by Devereaux Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Man, I hate serrated edges. They are darn near impossible to sharpen.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife Empty Re: Today ONLY: (Friday 14Dec18) Amazon Deal of the Day on Kershaw Leek Knife

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:20 am

If you've ever had to cut wet spectra, kevlar or arimid lines, you'd LUVE serrated knives.

But yeah, serrations are a PITA. Just necessary for my definition of the mission.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 am

I suppose then you love the multi-knives that have a saw. I expect a sharp knife will cut whatever it needs to cut. But most people don’t keep their knives sharp. It’s a PITA to sharpen knives often, and impossible to sharpen the serrated ones. Plus if the serrations are on the lower cutting side, you can’t sharpen that side well either.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:35 am

I tend to be a sharp knife dude. In Nam I sharpened my K-Bar every night. Lent it to a troop for something and he promptly cut himself. That’s considered a bug; I consider it a feature. I suspect if I had to cut lines my knives would do it, perhaps a bit more slowlly. But they WOULD cut. And then you’d have to resharpen them that night.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:46 am

Seen the serration benefit first hand: I tried to cut our spectra spinnaker sheets with my Myerchin sheath knife - and all I got was tired. I kept that knife sharp enough to shave the hairs on my arm - a good working edge. However, the blade just skated over the high-modulus fiber lines. They were also very wet because we had just dragged the damn things all over the race course, hence the need to shorten them. Our foredecky finally snorted and handed over his serrated folder, which made short work of the lines.  

You still have your K-Bar? I've been thinking of getting something stabier for my SHTF kit. And the K-Bar is right at the top. 'Course, I've already got my Glock knife - with a serrated edge...  Wink

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  Just got back from a Christmas with my folks.  First one back home in 5 years.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:56 am

Yup! Still have my K-Bar. And my Camillus folder, which I carry everyday.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:29 am

Good recommendations.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:41 pm

That Camillus has been a workhorse. It is all metal, has an awl, bottle opener/screw driver, and can opener in addition to the blade. Big hook on the end to latch on .

I have other stuff - mostly fighting knives. Got into this via a friend of mine who collects and probably has thousands of knives,, from cheap China stuff to custom made.

I have a custom hunting knife by a guy out in Montana, but still like my Buck 101 folder best. I even have one of those as a switchblade. Not nearly as menacing as it is useful out in the field as a way to open a knife.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Ah, Bucks.

I've got a Buck 110 that I bought about 40 years ago, when I was working with the tools on the mean downtown streets of LA. It has the old style square edge bolsters; it's that old. It's opened a lot of boxes, skinned a lot of heavy wire insulation, been used with a hammer to cut heavy copper wires in an emergency, and I palmed it when my crew was threatened by 3 hypes.

Showed it to my wife years later. She nipped it, and took it to an old scissor sharpener who had spent years in Germany's knife sharpening guild. He reground the blade, removing all my abuse, and gave it the finest working edge I've ever been privileged to see. It's so perfect, I fear to use it anymore.  Wink      

I like knives, especially the working knives, but I've never been a collector. More of an accumulator. Wink The K-Bar fascinates me because it was a knife, a shovel, a hammer, a fork, spoon, etc...  

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Well I can not really call myself a collector, but I do have "a few". I particularly like fighting knives, so I have some fixed blade types, and a number of spring-operated ones. One is even a collector piece. I like knives. I think they are useful tools and I believe everyone should carry one for the little things that pop up in your life. I recollect repairing a retaining strap on a friend's ski once at the top of the lift, using my Camillus. Came in handy.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm

As an irredeemable Magpul fanboy and a certified knifeaholic: DADDY WANTS!!!

Coming Spring of '19 - Limited time - Price unannounced (ruh-roh.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm