The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Aimpoint Comp4s

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Aimpoint Comp4s Empty Aimpoint Comp4s

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Everything I have ever read about the Aimpoint Comp4s has been superlative. It appears to be one of those optics that simply has to be flat out shot with a bullet to fail. But its price has always been a barrier to buying one. Best price I have found anywhere has been about $720.

Midway now announced (actually about 2 days ago) a sale on Comp4's and Comp4s's. $660 including shipping. I suspect they are trying to clear out inventory, perhaps in preparation for a newer model from Aimpoint. Still, I couldn't pass that up, so I bought one. It arrives today (supposedly - if you believe UPS).

I am really excited about getting this. I have electronic optics for all my AR's now, but THIS! This is the epitome of scopes. There are smaller, and lighter, and smaller AND lighter ones out there, but this may be the last electronic I need. Just move it if I need to.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Aimpoint Comp4s Empty Re: Aimpoint Comp4s

Post by Cornmastah Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Let us know how you like it. I've been eyeballing a Aimpoint Pro patrol optic--but haven't bought one yet.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:08 pm

1st impressions.

It came last night, so I only got to really see it well today.

It is, first of all, quite compact. It is shorter than the jobbie that Corn mentioned from Vortex. It also comes with a full picatinny mount that is hard mounted to the bottom. As it came, it had the spacer already installed so it stood the correct height for an AR.

The mount is neat. It is long enough to solidly grab the pic rail. The screw (?anti-recoil bar I think they call it) is wide enough so there is not slop when you put it on the rail. On the left is a knob that tightens the mount onto the rail. It is called a Knob, Torque. It is built so you tighten it until it clicks twice, at which point you know it is tight enough. Really neat. No more guessing how much to tighten it.

It comes with a battery, a KillFlash, and the lens bra you see on many scopes. The battery is a regular AA - nothing magical there. It fits into the tube along side the scope. I have the 4s, so the tube is along the lower part of the scope; the original 4 has it along the higher part.

I did not like the KillFlash. It made the dot look a little weird. It has these little slots around the front edge, as if you were to hook a tool to that and twist it to put it on or off. So, not having the tool, I called Customer Support. Got right through. The guy there said to put the palm of my hand on the scope and twist it off. It actually worked! Just like that! And with the KillFlash off, the dot is now a dot.

One of its features is that the battery is suppose to last some prodigious length of time (like 800,000 hours). That seems to mean to me that I can turn it on and leave it on and not worry about the battery for a couple years. Not bad for an electronic sight.

The rear has thread inside the case where you can apparently screw in a magnifier. I believe Aimpoint makes a 3x mag - if you should have that need.

Not having Corn's backyard range, it will have to wait a bit to be tested. I still need some dies to get set up to reload this cartridge, but soon. And I want to get some hunting loads to take with me in November. This will make a great hunting rifle.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Wait, so which rifle are you mounting it on?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm putting it on the .300BLK. The other two are 5.56 and both have Eotechs. Thought i'd keep the same for the same calibre.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content