The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review Empty Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review

Post by Cornmastah Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am

I finally took out the Pedersoli Sharps on Saturday but was only able to put around 40 rounds through it.  Shoulder was a little sore from previously firing a bunch of 30-06 and Mosin Nagant rounds.  I may need to install a wussy pad for extended range time with the Sharps or use a softer shooting load.  Here is my quick review:

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review Sharps1

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review Sharps2

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review Sharps3

Fit/Finish: Fit and finish was well done.  I like the color case hardening on the metal.  The action is smooth and feels like quality.  I know it ain't no Shiloh, but it is definitely good enough for me.  I don't like the rear barrel sight--I will be adding a tang sight for sure in the future sometime.

Triggers: I like the 2 trigger (set trigger) functionality.  It makes taking those long shots much easier--it really lightens up the trigger pull.

Reliability: No failures of any sort using my 405 gr hard cast lead bullet loads.  The loads I used were a little more stout than I thought they would be but worked fine.

Cost: around 1250-1350 without a rear tang sight.  It is one of the less expensive Sharps reproduction brands/models.

Accuracy:  Very accurate rifle--I need to practice with the old fashioned iron sights at longer distances though.  The gun is definitely more accurate than I am currently.

Nostalgia Effect: Very high on this one, it is hard to not pretend you are Quigley...

Other thoughts: Big heavy gun--just like it should be.  I ran out of vertical adjustment with the standard rear barrel sight at around 275-300 yards.  I definitely need to purchase a rear tang sight in order to be able to extend beyond 275 yards.  I would like to be able to take it out to 600 yards or so and go from there--why buy a Sharps if you don't shoot it at long distances, right?  It is quite fun to pull the trigger and hurry and look up to see where your bullet impact is.

Summary:  Overall, I really love this gun.  I sold my AR-10 in order to buy this, and I have no regrets.  I think I will enjoy this gun quite a bit, and I look forward to installing and learning how to use a tang sight.  This gun is the kind of gun that I will be proud to pass on to one of my kids someday.  It is a whole different style of long range shooting.

Let me know if I missed something.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review Empty Re: Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 Quick Review

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:36 am

Gawd, that's beautiful.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm