The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either...

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either... Empty New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either...

Post by Cornmastah Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Picked up one of these the other day. Special ordered it in--nobody keeps this gun in stock.

CVA 300 blk single-shot, break-action pistol w/ threaded barrel:

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either... CVA_pistol

This one is going to be a fun one. Going to put a bipod on it and have some fun shooting some light loads with a suppressor for the kids (and me), and some heavier loads to shoot at longer distances.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either... Empty Re: New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either...

Post by MrJim Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 pm

It looks like a Contender sort of....new single shot on the block?

Seems like I've owned Contenders most of my life...Very Happy
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either... Empty Re: New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either...

Post by Cornmastah Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:58 pm

CVA--They are probably better known for their muzzle loaders and single shot rifles. The single shot pistols are kind of a new addition for them--basically one of their rifles with a short barrel and pistol grip instead of a stock. The triggers are quite nice and the quality seems to be top notch--a good step above the H&R handi-rifles I have purchased and used.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Not sure how I missed this. That is one very cool pistol. I'm anxious to hear how it shoots.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:43 am

I haven't been able to take it shooting yet, but am very curious as to if the short tight twist barrel can stabilize my long 245 gr cast bullets. Instead of shooting this last weekend, I spent several hours casting several different bullet shapes and sizes. I also was able to pick up my new Liberty Mystic X suppressor that I've been waiting for. I am going to need to do some testing with both of those.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Too cool!

Are the Contenders still being made? Don't hear about them to often anymore....
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Too cool!

Are the Contenders still being made? Don't hear about them to often anymore....

Yup~new generation called G2 have been out for awhile....Smith & Wesson owns Thompson/Center as I understand...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/g2-contender

...and if I'm not mistaken the new G2 barrels still fit the old Contender frames.

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 am

Going to be driving up to the mountains sometime during this weekend. I figure I should be able to take this little gun along with me and throw a few rounds at some steel plates. I at least need to sight in the red dot on top. I might as well bring the mystic suppressor too.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Took this gun out on friday and saturday and set up a short range.  I introduced several new shooters (fathers and sons) to shooting with this gun as well as some others.  This "pistol" worked really well for the new shooters due to the simplicity, the lack of a stock (for the kids), the red dot, the nice trigger, and the Mystic X silencer/suppressor on the end of the barrel.  

I had the kids shoot my pew pew loads of 115 gr cast bullets @1000 fps and the adults were shooting the same loads as well a plethora of others (150 gr supers, 170 gr subs, 195 gr cast supers, 220 cast subs, & some 247 gr cast subs).  The adults shot standing & the kids shot from a sitting position with a bag.  I made sure to bring some steel plates so people could get instant feedback on their hits or misses.  Made a lot of smiles this weekend.  

I REALLY like this gun.  The trigger is nice--like a decent rifle trigger and the break action is nice and smooth.  The only downside I see is the the plastic handguard and the plastic grips--I may have to buy some custom wood for it sometime.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Friend I shot prairie dogs with would walk in the evening with a Thompson Contender to add to his daily "body count". He liked the gun. I never seemed to warm to it. No special reason.

Yours is interesting. Kind of nice to see threaded barrels becoming more prevalent. Sign of the times I suppose.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Yeah, this gun worked perfectly for the younger new shooters. With the suppressor, it indeed looked odd, but worked great for the intended purpose.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue May 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Just a quick update with a photo to show the "pistol" with a suppressor being used.

New pistol, but not a revolver... not an auto either... Noah300blk_pistol
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue May 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Man that DOES look odd. But it shoots well and you like it, so that's all that's needed.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 pm

It is an accurate gun too. I loaded up some supersonic loads (my normal 300 blk 150 gr plinking loads) and was hitting steel out to 300 yards consistently (rested of course). The simple action and the variety of loads make it a good gun for kids to learn on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm