The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Sig 320's

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Sig 320's Empty Sig 320's

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:39 pm

So a few weekends ago a couple of us went to Charlotte, NC to visit one of our TBS classmates who has pancreatic CA. We had done this last Nov and then brought guns and went shooting. Obviously we decided to do the same again.

Fitz, the guy we were visiting, set up a session at a local private shooting range belonging to a club. He knew the president, so we got to be "special guests". We were treated royally and had a bucket of fun. They had some 5-6 instructors there to "oversee" the shooting, and they brought their guns, which we got to shoot.

So one of the guns I got to shoot was the Sig P320, in both 9mm and .45 ACP. I like that gun - especially in .45. I was flabbergasted on how easy it was to shoot. Indeed, it seemed only a slight bit more recoil than the 9, when there should have been a ton of difference. Indeed, I may just have to get me one of those. I really, really liked it.

You guys should get to shoot one if you can.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Sig 320's Empty Re: Sig 320's

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 pm

As an aside, one of the impressive things about Charlotte was how well we were greeted everywhere we went. We had all got hats made with Vietnam, the medals, the eagle, ball, and anchor on them and we wore them as a group. The result was not only did we get a bunch of "Thank you for your service." but our tab was picked up 4 times in 2 days. Absolutely amazing!
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 am

I've always liked Charlotte. I'm not surprised you guys were respected there.

I keep hearing about this Sig 320. And now it will be the official sidearm for U.S. armed forces.

Saw a guy at my range a few weeks ago shooting one. He acted as though he was shooting Jesus' own pistol. He was shooting it very well. Then he tried to help show his wife how shoot her Glock, and the pattern from his shooting the Glock looked more like a shotgun pattern. My impression was, if that Sig can help a guy like that shoot that well, that's something I need to look at more closely.

I am in the process of refurbishing a pretty old Marlin 94, 32-20, manufactured in 1904, that I intend to trade in on something else. I think I will look at this Sig when I do that.

Although, Lipsey's recently added on their website that they are coming out with a birdshead Ruger Single Seven in 327 Fed. Magnum that is also very interesting to me.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Like I said, TJ, the gun is really nice to shoot. Reminds me of the first Glock I shot - a 17 Gen 1. I liked that so much I bought one - only to sell it a dozen or so years later. But I taught a number of people to shoot with that gun.

I think this P320 may well be the next Glock 17. I is, as I noted, really easy to shoot in .45, something not many guns are. Most .45's tend to. make your brains turn to poo and float in your earmuffs. This thing just shot 10's right out of the chute. I think the military will like this a lot.

I heard from the Charlotte guys these were selling at the local Cabellas or equivalent for about $550. Not a bad price for a new gun that shoots well.

I'm still having this itch for a Tavor.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:46 pm

There's a guy at my range who is crazy about his Tavor. He loved it so much he bought one for his wife. It's kinda fun watching a hubby and wife blasting away with a pair of Tavors.

I am going to check out that 320. I wonder if one could use the full length slide on a compact grip frame? Since chopping down a Glock 19 frame to Glock 26 size, I am totally sold on that concept of short grip for easy concealment, with a longer slide for better sight radius. Of course, that's completely dependent on using an IWB holster.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 am

I just think there's something kool about a Tavor. It shoots the 5.56 and uses AR mags so it's easy to feed. Man that thing is SHORT. Yet you get the full barrel length effect. And it's easy to swap barrels, butting a longer one on if you wish.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 pm

If you do end up getting a tavor, let us know how you like it!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, I'm still looking. My daughter just picked out a stone for her engagement, so that's coming up and that will be expensive! Gotta save up for that. Plus we're going to Europe to visit some friends and that will cost a bit too. AND my wife wants a new car. Ergo I expect the Tavor will be down the list - at least for a while.

But I'll certainly submit a report if I get one.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 pm

My first-born is going off to college this week, out-of-state, with out-of-state tuition, which has also put a big damper on my acquisitions.

All that is to say, I feel your pain.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 pm

My wife is all excited about planning the wedding. I keep hearing cash registers ringing.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:05 pm

My dad sunk a fortune into my sister's wedding. The marriage lasted a year and a half. The strain of a very colicky baby was too much.

Offer to put a down payment on a house if they elope. Wink

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote: I am going to check out that 320.  I wonder if one could use the full length slide on a compact grip frame?  Since chopping down a Glock 19 frame to Glock 26 size, I am totally sold on that concept of short grip for easy concealment, with a longer slide for better sight radius.

Yup. Saw it done on a Glock forum, of all places. It leaves about a quarter inch gap between the dust cover and the lower slide. Not a problem, it's said to function very well. The 320 owner says it's the best concealed carry pistol he's ever seen.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am

Well, after almost 2 years of not buying any weapon, I broke down and bought a P320 in .45. Then I went and found a Sig P239 in .357 Sig for a good price and bought that too. I will try to pick it up tomorrow.

Haven't had a chance to shoot the 320 yet (?how screwed up is MY schedule!) but I am looking forward to doing so soon. And now I have a new .357 Sig to shoot also. Am thinking of getting a BarSto .40 barrel for it also, so I can shoot practice garbage rounds. I have a lot of .40 brass and it's easy to reload, as opposed to the .357Sig.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am

That's great. I'd like to hear about that 239 after you've shot it. That model has intrigued me for a long time. I's also like to hear how the 320 shoots. I saw one at my range, and haven't seen any since, which is kind of weird. The people at my range tend to buy and shoot whatever the latest-greatest is.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 am

I’m off to San Francisco tomorrow for my 50th reunioni of my Basic School company. That will take up the week, but after that I WILL find time to shoot these guns. Report to follow.. From everything I can see, there should be 2 points to note about these guns. The 320 should suck up recoil really well, and the 239 should be seriously accurate. I quite like the “smallness” of the 239, without it <i>being</i> a small gun. I think it’s the single stack thing - takes up less space. I have become quite accustomed to double stack weapons, but they are just plain harder to hide.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:42 pm

I got a VEEEEERY lightly used SIG 320 when I worked at Gander. I like it, however I don't have nearly enough time behind the trigger. Initial impressions are that it is better than a 4th Gen Glock - but not tremendously so. I'll prolly be sticking with my Blocks; especially if the Gen 5 is as good as everyone says.  

TJ, a lot of people are refraining from shooting the P320 until they get the SIG recall performed. I've heard of action pistol clubs that have temporarily banned the 320. Might be the reason you're seeing so few o' them.

Dev - going to be really interested in your thoughts on the P239 - and any experience with the 365.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

I’ll let you know when I sort out all the issues with the 239.

I don’t have a 365, but if even half of what I hear is true, I’d stay the heck away from that gun. WAY too many issues with the striker.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Yeah, the initial reports on that 365 don't sound very good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:24 am