The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Bullpups.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Bullpups. Empty Bullpups.

Post by Devereaux Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 pm

I have heard mixed reviews of bullpups. Not sure just why, though.

I recollect (and had an opportunity to buy one) the Steyr, or some such, bullpup that looked like some spacegun, with the strange telescope that kind of doubled as a handle. I am told it was a fine weapon, but the one I saw was going for something like $2700. It had the accessory long barrel, but overall it was just more than I wanted to spend.

I am noting a lot of military grade rifles are in the same cost range. M1's are >$1,000. M14 (or the civie version) seem to be >$2,000. This last amazes me. There are still receivers being made for 14's, so ?why are they so expensive.

Tavors seem to be running about $15-1600. That, too, strikes me as being expensive. They, too, are mass-produced military rifles. They are modular in approach, so barrels swap out easily. So it again makes no sense to me that they cost as much as they do. I would be much more interested if they were $900-1,000.

?You guys have any thoughts. ?Still too early to get one.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Bullpups. Empty Re: Bullpups.

Post by Cornmastah Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:29 pm

I always like the idea of bullpups, but when I try to shoot them, I end up disliking them.  I've owned a few and have ended up selling them all.  They are usually plagued with poor triggers, a huge distance between the bore and optics (which makes it tough shooting at different distances), and the ergonomics/reloads are awkward.  That said--I have not had a chance to shoot a Tavor, so I have no opinion about it specifically. To me, the Tavor seems a bit overpriced and doesn't seem to offer much over an equally priced high end AR15 other than over all length.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Wish I could add to this, but everything I know about bullpups is what I've heard from others.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 pm

I've shot several bullpups. Kinda neat. However, the thing about bullpups -- is the trigger. The best I've felt makes me long for a carpy mil-std AR-15 trigger.  The Tavor isn't bad - by bullpup standards - but it's still barely workable.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Triggers. Geissele sells a trigger for the Tavor. It is supposed to be a big improvement, as Geisseles usually are. But I have no direct experience. However, I would definitely put one in if I get a Tavor. I have them in all my AR's, and I have 3 sitting in their boxes waiting for me to decide on what to build. Interestingly, it comes as a kit plus separately (and $85) the actual trigger. And the trigger replacement kit isn't cheap - like $325. So it better be a pretty f--ing great trigger.

I expect the bore-to-optics distance would also result in better recoil control, the bore being substantially lower. Depending on the optics, your view of different targets would be affected. Battle sights are the setting that allows you to hit a man at anywhere from right in front to some 250 yds. That kind of setting on an optic for a bullpup would make sense.

Have no clue how I'll like the reloads. They are a bit unusual in location, but then the whole concept is a bit unusual, so one would hardly think the mags would be "normal". Perhaps we're just accustomed to mags one way and it will take getting accustomed a different way. I'll let you know if I get one what I think.

Overall, I grasp your point, Corn. But for me this would be an unusual purchase - just because. I have long ago passed the point of "need". I still have 5 AR frames I haven't built to contemplate (and 2 Vltor uppers), so this is not an either/or situation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:34 am