The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

.308 AR

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

.308 AR Empty .308 AR

Post by Devereaux Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 pm

I have always kind of passed up the idea of a .308 AR. I am not sure just why except that generally they are expensive. Mags are hard to find, the whole rifle is "different", etc. BUT I have to admit that IF you are building your own, it is easier to make an accurate AR than any other rifle. So perhaps an AR in .308 is a reasonable idea.

?Do any of you have one or have experience with one.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

.308 AR Empty Re: .308 AR

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Weeeeeeell... I was able to parlay my Gander employment into a Savage AR-10 MSR Long Range.

At half price.
    .308 AR Ad74cbe93408315cd7373cd5a404d7fc_21228ac23c446318efc3a02b2a22bc3e
    A couple of weeks ago I finally got it in my grubbies on it; after waiting 8 long, impatient months.

It was worth the wait.

I've barely put iron sights on it, and haven't taken it to the range (yet.) But, I'm damn impressed. The non-reciprocation side charging handle is a godsend with the stiff .308/ 7.62x51 buffer spring. The rifle stock is the new 3rd Gen Magpul PRS stock, which is (dang it!) a significant improvement over the 2nd Gen that I put on another rifle. Best o' all is the trigger; a guestimated 2-3 pounds with almost zero creep. Prolly the best semiauto trigger I've ever felt. The only thing I don't really like about the gun is the finish, which is a little spotty. Then again, it's a battle rifle -- who cares?  

I'll let you know when I get it to the range.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Those Savage AR10's look quite nice. Lots of cool features. I like the side charging.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Cornmastah wrote:Those Savage AR10's look quite nice.  Lots of cool features.  I like the side charging.

Just received my keycard to one of the best outdoor ranges in Florida - 7 miles from Rancho de Foxtrot. All I need now is a Kitchen Pass from the Princess and I'll start wringing out the Savage Long Ranger!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

let us know how you like it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Well, I'm still waiting for that range report, CF.

MEANWHILE back at the ranch, Palmetto Armory had a one-day sale on a complete upper minus the BCG and a charging handle - in .223 Wylde. It's a 20' barrel, free-floated handguard. AND a 1-6 Vortex scope. AND the mounting brackets. ALL for $500. I just HAD to buy it. So I guess this means I am about to build the first of my 5 frames.

My first question was going to be about a good stock for a distance AR. But looking at that Savage stock, it kind of looks like it would fit the bill. Will need to look into it and see where the best price is. But CF, you could put up any issues you have with it. OR someone can suggest a better one.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

I ended up snagging an AR10 from palmetto during the crazy sales. Still need to mount some optics and test that thing out.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Well then, gents. let’s get cracking!

CF - ?have you moved to FL or are you still living in St Louis.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Devereaux wrote:
    CF - ?have you moved to FL or are you still living in St Louis.

My apologies, one and all: I've been remiss.

Dev, we are indeed in Florida - and it's been one hell of a ride.  Surprised

Bought a wonderful place in the countryside of central Florida, about 30 miles south of the Cape.  A very neat, if quirky, home that sits on 2.5 acres with a fish stocked pond fed with an artesian spring.  For a city boy, this countrified living has been a wonderful change.  

Work has been very rewarding and the new state challenging. We had only home for about three weeks before we got a visit from Irma -- the hurricane. Thanks to a lot of work, some wonderful neighbors, and even more luck, we emerged with trifling damage. Power was out for a week, but I brute forced the house's ancient generator back to life and we had most of the 21st Century conveniences. (Gawd bless the man that invented hot water.) However, the A/C was severely missed in those days and nights of damn near triple digit heat and humidity.

With work and setting up the house, time has been severely limited.  I've fired at my local range all of one time - and that was to christen the Savage AR-10.  

Executive Summery: the Savage AR-10 MSR Long Ranger is superb. Only had time for 60 rounds with the function checks and sighting in - but those 60 make me very hopeful for the future. Even with iron sights and Stevie Wonder eyes, the gun looks to have true MOA accuracy. It's a pleasant shooter and reliable. Only had one issue - the trigger did not reset properly - it needed to be pushed forward once. Probably nothing more than a break-in issue: the problem did not repeat. And that trigger is Sweeeeet! About 2.5 - 3 pounds (still haven't found my trigger gauge), it breaks crisply after hardly any creep. Guns and Ammo this month has an extremely positive review of the Savage Long Ranger, the subject rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore. Which makes me want to pick up a Long Ranger Creedmore upper.... 

Anyway, been missing you guys. Hopefully, things will lighten up from here.  Wishing one and all a Very Merry Christmas or Hanukkah, and a Happy New Year!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Want to hear about your Palmetto guns, Dev and Corn.  Dev, your build sounds almost exactly what I've been trying to build these last two years. We're going to have compare notes. Same with your AR-10, Corn.  

I'm extremely happy with the Long Ranger's PRS, Dev. The only other stock I'd consider for the DMRish builds would be the Magpul UBR 2.0. That stock has the stability of a fixed stock, while still being collapsible. The PRS is fixed and a bit heavier - but you can dial in your perfect pull length and cheek weld configuration almost effortlessly. And that make every bit of difference in precision shooting.    

Any other developments on the Gun Nation board that I've missed?
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Ha ha, well... I have unmounted scopes sitting in my safe and guns without scopes mounted. I need a few more hours in the day to get everything all accessorized how they should be. Been playing with the .277 wolverine cartridge a bit. Going to have a subsonic ammo loading/shooting video probably next week with the wolverine. I still want to get the AR10 up and running with optics too, but just haven't done it yet. I also picked up a 500 socom upper (prototype) from Tromix--and a bunch of brass for it. Also need to figure that one out sometime.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 pm

The Guncave just passed it's first Operational Review.

I needed to modify my loaner 10/22 for a neighbor who wanted to take her first shots. The donor rifle was placed in the holds, the existing rear Tech Sight removed, the new Picatinny rail torqued down and the TRS-25 red-dot mounted: all without having to move my feet.

I'm back, Baby. I'm back.  Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:06 pm