The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

SHTF "Bug-Out" Long Gun of Choice

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

SHTF "Bug-Out" Long Gun of Choice Empty SHTF "Bug-Out" Long Gun of Choice

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Because a BUG-OUT scenario might demand different requirements than a BUG-IN due to weight, range, etc... I figured that I would open a new thread to discuss what you have ready or want to buy for a Bug-Out scenario. In a bug out scenario, you might need something that shoots more accurately at greater distances (depending on where you live), or something that weighs less if you are going to haul it around.

For me, the saiga 12g would be way too heavy to haul around (especially carrying a backpack full of 20 round drums) so I would not take that one. I would really like to take my AR-10, but it is way too heavy also (it is a heavy barrel target model). I might actually take my Vepr (ak variant) chambered in .308. It is very rugged, accurate enough for distances I would need to use it at, etc... I have a side rail mount and a 2-7x scope on it currently. My .300 blk AR15 is also an option except for the fact that it uses non standard ammo. Maybe the .45-70 guide gun would work (no mags, just bags of big fat ammo).

What do you have ready for a bug-out situation or what do you want to buy?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

SHTF "Bug-Out" Long Gun of Choice Empty Re: SHTF "Bug-Out" Long Gun of Choice

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

It's an interesting question. For the bug-out scenario, I keep thinking back on a conversation with a well-to-do gentleman who was close to getting stuck in an office in downtown New Orleans as Katrina approached. He will never again be without an AR in his trunk or a Glock in his briefcase.

I have a hard time envisioning a bug out scenario where there wouldn't be some type of regulatory force in some level of control (police, Nat'l Guard, etc.), and I can't help but imagine they will be confiscating any gun they see. At an absolute bare minimum, I'd make darn certain that whatever I had fit within the then-current laws. I think that as the S first began to HTF, those regulatory forces would be more than a little ambitious. So for me, I lean a little more towards concealable than anything else.

I have doubts about long guns in that situation, at least long guns that can't be concealed. I lean towards a powerful and concealable handgun for right now up close defense, and a long gun that breaks down and can be put together failry quickly if the need arose.

Ultimately, I would LOVE to get one of those Wild West breakdown Marlin 45-70 lever actions for this. Or a Chiappa 1892 stainless break down 44 mag lever action. Sounds goofy, but I also like the idea of a coach gun in a small bag. Goes together quickly and although it only holds 2 rounds, those are pretty effective rounds, and it's not too hard to reload somewhat quickly. Maybe a Kel Tec Sub2000 or their SU16 (but don't know enough about those Kel Tecs to know if they're reliable). I like the idea of an AK with a folding stock, but Lord help he who is found with one by some over-ambitious National Guard dude.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about breaking down an AR to know how easy it is or not to reassemble quickly.

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:41 pm

In a Bug-Out scenario, we might be leaving the homestead for a while, perhaps forever. Transportation could well be limited to shanks mare. Those possibilities really shaped my choices.

My initial impulse was to walk out wearing my gun-safe. However, reality quickly performed it's usual remorseless beat-down. Now, in a SHFT Bug-Out situation, my go-to battery would be a Marlin 1894C and Ruger GP100, both in .357. Ammunition would be shared, and the Marlin and Ruger are both small, simple, stout, reliable, relatively light, and tolerant of long periods of abuse. Both can be maintained on a flat rock by a ten-thumbed gun plumber (me.) TJ's thoughts of the authorities' natural animus to arms is interesting, and worthy of additional reflection.

Since the LA Basin can only drain its 18+ million through 6 or 7 outlets, bugging-out will likely remain a fond, faint hope in any type of widespread disaster.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm

In your guys' bug out scenarios, are you carrying all the ammo you will need?  Or are you planning on finding/bartering/buying some refills later on down the road?  How does the uniqueness of the round play into your thoughts/opinions.  The reason I ask--The more I shoot my 300 blk guns, the more I like them--however, refilling my mags with blk ammo would be harder to do, being that it is still fairly uncommon.  I could carry quite a bit with me though, due to the small size of the cartridge.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:05 pm

That's what I love about this forum - that one question that blows my carefully considered fantasies all to hell.

.357 isn't all that common, but .38 Special is, or used to be. I was planning on taking about 200 rounds - about 5 pounds. And I'd... er, suggest... SHMBO match my loadout. However -- water in this desert is much more important - and heavy and bulky. Hard choices.  The lighter, more popular 9mm is looking more interesting, with a semi pistol and 9mm AR-15. Perhaps as an AR Pistol with a SIG forearm device...

Corn, 300 BLK ammo will likely be unobtanium. In that light, I'd really be tempted to go with 5.56. To the good (great), 300 BLK will share mags and many of the parts with the 5.56.  

The question also has me reconsidering a .22 pistol and lever or 10/22 Takedown. All that hoarded .22LR has to show up sooner or later, right?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 am

I guess I'm not sure of the parameters of "bug-out" Corn.

Expostulate more, please.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 am

"Bugging out" would entail leaving your house behind. Whether it is a flood, or earthquake, or whatever disaster (natural or human-caused) you might have to leave your house behind and take only what you can carry to get to your safe area or goal location. Like grabbing the bug out bag and hopping in a car and driving or hiking to safety. I assume that in a highly populated area, driving may not be feasible. Hence the weight of the bug out long gun (combined with the extra ammo) may be a determining factor. The length of time you spend bugging out may require you to have a little extra ammo in case the shtf.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 am

I guess there are a lot of issues with such an idea. If it were simply flood, etc, where you have a natural disaster, then I think some kind of rifle in the trunk would be the answer. An AR seems a fine choice. It would be most useful for "stress" situations. A .22 seems too light.

If I were leaving the home for good, or at least a longer time, then I would expect to be leaving with my wife and hopefully son. In that case, I would consider those two being armed with AR's, while I would seriously consider carrying a Garand. I believe the 5.56 would allow a significant amount of magazines to be carried for a limited weight penalty, while the Garand would give .30-'06 power. That round mows down most things it encounters.

Ammo availability is certainly a consideration in all this. Those two rounds are almost ubiquitous - far more available than .308, 7.62x39, or anything else. There may be interest in big bore guns like .45-70, but that round is also not so common. Handgun cartridge carbines are just not in the mix. You actually want a serious rifle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 am