The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Glocks and Pachmayr Grip Sleeves

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Glocks and Pachmayr Grip Sleeves Empty Glocks and Pachmayr Grip Sleeves

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Learned something of value over the weekend thought I'd share.

I have a Glock 23 I like quite a bit, but it's a Gen 3, so there are finger grooves and the grooves don't fit my fingers. The Pachmayr grip sleeves always intrigued me, because they effectively fill in the valleys of the Gen 3 finger grooves.

However, my issue with them was that they tend to move around a bit.

Learned over the weekend that if you use Ronson lighter fluid (the stuff people used to fill their Zippos with) to liberally lubricate the inside of the sleeve, then put the sleeve on, it's rock solid in about 3 minutes. I don't understand the chemistry involved, but I hear that the lighter fluid evaporates.

So now, my G23 finally fits my hand pretty well, and I didn't have to take a Dremel to it. Liked it so much I did the same thing to my G20, and after firing full house 10mm ammo this weekend the grip sleeve is still on as if it was glued.

Best thing is, these sleeves are pretty cheap. I think I paid $10 each for them. They are certainly not pretty at all, and it's hard to go from Spegel custom grips in Cocobolo to rubber anchored to plastic, but that's ok. My Glocks aren't meant to be shown.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Glocks and Pachmayr Grip Sleeves Empty Re: Glocks and Pachmayr Grip Sleeves

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Gee... thanks.  

I've been able to avoid buying new Glocks because my meat-hooks don't fit those idiotic finger grooves.

<Sigh> Into each life, some Glock 34s must fall.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 am

You know, CF - you should be looking at S&W M&P's or Sigs. The former will fill the plastic need, and the latter a serious combat gun.

S&W M&P's have all manner of things you can do to make them that much neater. AND they will "fit your hand". In my case, my Shield has become SOOOOO much better with the Apex kit. To the point 2 of my friends are getting the same kit, one ordered, one installed - and the guy raves about it. LOVES it. Traded in his Glock 19 for it and carries it (retired cop).

And then there is the 10-8 sight. It, too, is wonderful.

So stop playing with Austrian plastic and take on American stuff. Or German steel.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 am

Yeah I do prefer the S&W grip, that is for certain. If they had a 10mm, that can stand up to he-man loads like the Glock, I might take a closer look.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 pm

TJ - ?Are you a Tennessee Taffin, with the need to destroy your hands at an early age.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanx Dev. I know you're pulling my chain - but, it has a lot of slack.  Wink

I have a M&P 45, and like it a LOT (save that miserable trigger.) My wife chose M&P for her HD/SD/CCW guns. When I emigrate to America, the Shield is at the top of my CCW list. (Still hoping for the Rem R51.)

However, I've been invested in Glocks for literally decades: guns, mags, range time, training, blood, sweat and tears... I'll readily admit that the newer platforms are better than my 1st and 2nd Gen Glocks, but not so much so that I'd want to upgrade my SD suite. In Cali, my long-term investment means I have yea ol' bunches of grandfathered full-capacity mags. If I was to switch over to M&P, I'd be limited to 10 rounders.  

That being said, if I was looking to buy HD/SD firearms, I know that we are living in the golden age of semi handguns. I'd have to look at Glock, XP, Walther, M&P, SIG, Steyr, Ruger, CZ, Tanfoglio, etc, etc, etc... Sounds like fun!
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Well Dev, the 10mm recoil actually isn't that bad. I think it's similar to medium 357 mag range. However, I am following Taffin's advice and have moved to mid range loads in the magnum revolvers.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Is glock the only manufacturer of 10mm handguns that are not 1911's?
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Well Dev, the 10mm recoil actually isn't that bad...

In the 29, it gets decently snappy.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Corn, there are others. EAA makes some that are CZ types.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:45 pm

?So might I ask what's with the 10mm fascination. It seems to me to be a niche calibre. Kind of like .41 Magnum or 500 S&W. There may well be a use for it, but it has GOT to be limited.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:59 pm

I like the ballistics. My favorite load is a 165 grain bullet at 1400+ fps. Reasonable recoil, flat trajectory, and it's enough to take out most anything I'm likely to need to take out.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm

I shoot my IPSC guns with 130gr at 1450. Because of how the guns are built there is no significant recoil, but these are race guns. ?Do you use a compensator. ?If not, why not.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm

No I don't use a compensator. Reason why is, I don't think the recoil is enough to justify it. Just doesn't seem worth the effort. When I shoot the G20 in competition I use a 40 s&w barrel (which is really light recoiling). I do have a stiffer recoil spring (22 pounds I believe) which makes a little difference in recoil. Main reason for the stiffer spring is to keep empties from gong into orbit.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Devereaux wrote:?So might I ask what's with the 10mm fascination. It seems to me to be a niche calibre. Kind of like .41 Magnum or 500 S&W. There may well be a use for it, but it has GOT to be limited.

Similar ballistics are hard to find in a semi-auto platform at a reasonable price. A g20 or g29 only costs 550-650ish. It seems to be the right balance of power, portability and concealability to protect you from man and beast. I usually take mine when I go camping and I don't want to carry a revolver. My friend borrows mine when he goes hunting--he has had a few scary incidents with cougars.

As far as .41 magnum is concerned... I have no purpose for a .41 mag and will probably never own one. My current revolvers can do it better. 500 S&W, however, is just a hoot to shoot. 500 S&W is when you want to shoot a big bullet and make a big noise--or if you handgun hunt. Since I don't handgun hunt, I have mine for the "big bullet and big noise" factor.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Additionally, for those who are constantly looking for more power in a defensive caliber (like me), I think that road ultimately leads to the 10mm.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:23 pm

I like that - Big Bullet & Big Noise. Kind of BB&BN for short.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:12 am

.47-70 is a great BB&BN!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 am

Cornmastah wrote:.47-70 is a great BB&BN!

Very Happy
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:22 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:Additionally, for those who are constantly looking for more power in a defensive caliber (like me), I think that road ultimately leads to the 10mm.

I believe 10mm has been shown to not be all that good a defensive round. It penetrated too much - makes holes in people (and any behind them). Better rounds are out there I believe.

I am personally sold on the .357 Sig. In the 125gr load, it is a fabulous stopper. I suspect, but don't have the ballistic know-how to prove, it's because of the bottle-neck case. Put a decent bullet on the end of that and you have a first rate round. Shoots nicely too.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Devereaux wrote:it's because of the bottle-neck case.

That is the reason I haven't tried it out yet. I am unsure on the reloading process for .357 sig. How many firings can you get out of the brass? Is it worth the extra cost of dies, etc.? Do you have to lube the cases before sizing due to the neck?

For me, the 10mm is not a carry gun for "in town" but rather a carry gun when you are out of civilization--ie camping, hunting, hiking, etc... In these types of areas, you would not be worrying about over penetration as much.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:13 pm

I have not yet reloaded it, but understand that one can do a few things to ease the process. For instance, you can size with a .40 sizer to decap the case and get it the right diameter. You can always then add the regular die to finish it off.

Since it is bottleneck case, I am presuming that you need to lube; I have not heard of any bottleneck case that doesn't, but I grant most are rifle so longer. Still, there is the 7.65x21 (.30 Lugar) that is also bottlenecked and I would think it too needs lube. I don't do a lot of rifle reloading but have used One Shot with good results and easy use in pistol cases (they go through much more easily if lubed).
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am

Corn, just in case you reload the 10mm, I've discovered a new-to-me powder I'm very happy with. My preference is Power Pistol, but it's getting hard to find around here. I bought several pounds of AA7 online, and was VERY pleased to learn that it gave me slightly better ballistics in the 10mm with a 165 grain bullet.

Specifically, using a less-than-max load of AA7, my 165 grain bullets last week were coming in at an average of about 1250 fps, with a standard deviation of 17 fps. Very very accurate, and darn close to the velocity of my carry load. I'm especially pleased to get this velocity with lower than max pressure.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Corn, just in case you reload the 10mm, I've discovered a new-to-me powder I'm very happy with.  My preference is Power Pistol, but it's getting hard to find around here.  I bought several pounds of AA7 online, and was VERY pleased to learn that it gave me slightly better ballistics in the 10mm with a 165 grain bullet.  

Specifically, using a less-than-max load of AA7, my 165 grain bullets last week were coming in at an average of about 1250 fps, with a standard deviation of 17 fps.  Very very accurate, and darn close to the velocity of my carry load.  I'm especially pleased to get this velocity with lower than max pressure.

Interesting... I have an 8 lb keg of power pistol that I haven't been using. I will have to try it out sometime. I have only loaded up 180 gr bullets for 10mm--which 165 gr bullets are you using?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:52 pm

Man, that's a LOT of Power Pistol to have sitting around! That's my regular powder now for 357 mag 125 JHP's, the fire-breathers. I'd use it for 10mm, 40 S&W, and other magnum jacketed bullets as well, but I'm now hoarding it for the 357 125's until I can find a regular supply again.

I use Zero's 165 40 cal bullets, usually in JHP. I use these bullets for both 10mm and 40 S&W. They are the cheapest jacketed bullets I can find, but they are also pretty accurate. I've found the best prices at Powder Valley's website.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 pm