The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers Empty Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 am

Last weekend I decided to shoot my Glock 23 at the range. I had a newbie shooter with me, and I was pre-occupied with making sure he wasn't doing anything reckless. So, with that pre-occupation, I failed to remember to get a firm-enough grip on the Glock and got a malfunction. No big deal really, I hadn't locked my wrists firmly enough because I wasn't sufficiently focused, but it reminded me again of why I prefer powerful revolvers for defensive purposes.

In other words, assuming that I will likely not be at my best if a self-defense situation arose that required deadly force, I want my weapon to be as foolproof as I can get it, in case I am not a firm firing platform, don't have a correct grip, etc.

I'm not trying to convince anyone else to switch to a wheelgun, because it's not for everybody, but it was a good reminder to me why I moved to six-shooters in the first place.
    LHUSBY
    LHUSBY
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers Empty Re: Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers

Post by LHUSBY Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:15 pm

"In other words, assuming that I will likely not be at my best if a self-defense situation arose that required deadly force, I want my weapon to be as foolproof as I can get it, in case I am not a firm firing platform, don't have a correct grip, etc."
    That makes two of us.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers Empty Re: Another Reason Why I Prefer Powerful Revolvers

Post by NotThe10thMan Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Same opinion shared from Alaska.  I always talk to guys who claim to run tens of thousands of rounds a year through their Spring-Glock-Smith-Retta autos and while I think that's cool, that just ain't me.  I'm struggling to get 1K rounds a year down range.  Locked, unlocked,de-cock, seat mag, tap, rack, bang,stove pipe, limp wrist....I just find it easier to shoot a revolver and focus on the basics.  In my area, it's also nice to have the flexibility of the revolver as well, since you're never quite sure whether you're more likely to be shooting at an angry moose, or an enraged meth monkey.  To be fair, autos have come a very long way these days...But...I haven't.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 pm

As much as I love collecting and shooting revolvers, I still carry my glock 19 as my EDC. I have actually experienced more revolver failures than glock failures--and it seems that when a revolver fails, it usually fails hard (not including bad primers or light primer strikes).
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:48 am

I've seen a few revolver failures, but most of them are cause of bad loads. Too hot, too long, primer set too deep, etc. I actually don't know that I've seen a revolver fail with factory loads, but...I'm far from being a grand oracle of knowledge when it comes to shooting.

My "Other gun" is a Glock 30 SF. It just flat works, and shoots amazingly well, and reliable for me. When my Father was burglarized, he asked my advice on a new personal defense gun, and I unhesitatingly suggested a Glock 19. He ultimately went with the 23 cause the 9mm was a "sissy round" He's oldschool that way... but all these years later, I still feel good about my suggestion.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Dang! It happened to me again.

After hearing Doc talk about converting to a Ruger SR9C, and everyone else here being auto-carrying guys, I though I need to give my Glocks more of a chance. Thought maybe I just need to spend more time shooting and get more used to the Glocks. Perhaps I just haven't given them enough time for important things (like having a firm firing grip, keeping thumbs off the slide, etc.) to become second nature.

Been shooting my G23 a lot lately. Over the weekend I was hammering away with my G23, doing quite well for both accuracy and speed, and then had a misfeed. Don't know what caused it. Took only about 1-2 seconds to clear it.

And then I put the G23 back in the safe, and pulled back out my beloved GP100. Because 1 - 2 seconds is a lot longer than pull-the-trigger-again.

Perhaps I'm just not meant for semi-autos. In IDPA, I've seen every type of semi-auto hiccup. Glocks, Sigs, H&K's, S&W M&P's, 1911's, all of them hiccup eventually. The only time I've seen a revolver hiccup was when a modified hammer spring (couple of coils cut off) resulted in a click instead of a bang.

I'm sure I'll dabble in semi-autos again, but I just don't see myself converting over to them on a long-term basis. My primary concerns in a defensive handgun are reliability, concealability (in an IWB holster), and the ability to solve problems quickly (with the least number of shots fired), in that order.

For me, that equation results in as powerful a revolver as I can fire quickly and accurately (357 mag, mid-level 44, etc.). And a j-frame in the front pocket, combined with a lot of speedloader practice, just in case. For others, the answer might be a semi-auto and for them I say, excellent choice. It's just not working for me.

NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Dog gone it! That just ain't even fair. There's hardly a gun made out there that stands a chance when compared to a GP 100 in terms of smoothness, accuracy, and reliability.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:51 am