The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Six Revolvers You Must Have

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Six Revolvers You Must Have Empty Six Revolvers You Must Have

Post by Cornmastah Sat May 17, 2014 12:01 am

I saw that you guys started posting in the other thread but thought it deserved its own thread. If you had to pick six revolvers, no more, no less, what would you pick? This list is mine:

1. Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag
    2. Ruger Vaquero .357
    3. S&W snubbie
    4. Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45acp/45 colt
    5. S&W R8
    6. S&W 460 Mag

I almost picked the gp100 but picked the S&W R8 instead--although I have both and enjoy shooting both, the R8 has higher capacity, smoother trigger, and rails. I also dearly want a colt python, but having never shot one, I had to leave it off my list.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Six Revolvers You Must Have Empty Re: Six Revolvers You Must Have

Post by Devereaux Sat May 17, 2014 2:43 am

1. S&W Model 15 combat Masterpiece with target hammer & trigger.

2. S&W Model 19 with target hammer & trigger.

3. S&W Model 29 with 4-6" barrel.

4. Colt 2nd gen SAA, with 4-5/8" barrel, preferably in nickel.

5. USFA SSA with Turnbull frame, in either 4-5/8" or 7".

6. Ruger Single Six with .22 WRM cylinder conversion, 7" barrel. Preferably older version.

Honorable mention: Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk in .357 Mag (I don't think they came any other way), with either 4-5/8" or 7" barrel (don't recollect the longer barrel length, but think it's 7". Could be 6".)
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat May 17, 2014 2:44 am

I left out things like a Triple Lock, which I would love to have but is exceedingly rare to find (so beaucoup bucks).
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon May 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Well heck. I guess since this is a new thread, I can come up with a new list. Here are 6 Ruger revolvers that I, personally, cannot live without, in no particular order:

1. Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP Lipsey's Flattop Convertible - 5.5" barrel. One of my all time favorite revolvers.

2. Ruger Birdshead 45 Colt (Don't have one yet, and my life is the lesser for it. One day I'll have one, and together with the Blackhawk I will have the baddest-a$$ old school CCW rig ever.).

3. Ruger GP100 - 4 inch barrel. Don't get me started on how much I love my GP100. I'll go on for days.

4. Ruger GP100 - 6 inch barrel (Don't have one yet, but need it badly for my glove box.)

5. Ruger SP101 (Don't have one yet, and my life is the lesser for it).

6. Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44 Special. (Alas, another one that I need to own.)
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

TJ - #6 is one of the gate-loading Ruger SA's, ?isn't it. I didn't think they made .44 Specials from the earlier Flat-top, which is one reason you get the conversions here and there.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon May 19, 2014 1:36 pm

That's right, Dev. Lipsey's came out with it a few years ago, and Ruger made it a regular catalog item. It's got the transfer bar, etc. Not perfect, by any stretch, but good enough for a cretin like me.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon May 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Jeez, TJ! ?How do you stand one of those Rugers with the loading gate tripe! I realize some like them because they go "bang", but I thought you were a bit more of a purist.

A SA is a SA. It doesn't "spin", nor does it load when you open the gate - great way to score the cylinder, and maybe lose rounds. (OK. I'm stretching it, but I really do dislike those gates.)
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Yeah, I know. I'm a cretin. I admit it.

Because my single action experience is mostly Ruger-centric, the loading gates never bothered me.

A real Colt SAA would freak me out too much. I'd constantly be worried about dinging it.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon May 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Yeah, I know.  I'm a cretin.  I admit it.  

Because my single action experience is mostly Ruger-centric, the loading gates never bothered me.

A real Colt SAA would freak me out too much.  I'd constantly be worried about dinging it.    

Then get a USFA, which may be better than Colt except it doesn't have the name. But it is built very, very well. And it does what it is suppose to do, vis a vis the clicks of loading, etc. It DOES have a hammer-mounted firing pin, a la the original Colt SAA, which means you can't dry fire it unless you have snap caps in, but otherwise, it is very kool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm