The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

IDPA choice.

betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

IDPA choice.  Empty IDPA choice.

Post by betafu2 Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 pm

So I think pretty soon here I'll be trying my first IDPA match, just to see if I like it - it's on my bucket list, along with Cowboy Action Shooting.

Now the trick is, I'm still trying to decide what compact/full sized gun I want to carry, so right now my options are the 22 (no go), .380 (no go), XDS 9mm and the GI 1911, no frills. I was thinking the 1911 but of course it's the basic model from RIA so all it has is the blade front sight.

So the question is, do I shoot with the penny ante blade front sight, try the XDS but eat the smaller barrel, or suck it up and put a bead/fiber optic on the 1911?

The full sized/compact carry question is a greater one; I'm still grappling with the choice between a XD, Beretta PX4 Storm (I really liked the one I shot at the Texas International Gun Festival) or the Glock 19.

-Betafu
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

IDPA choice.  Empty Re: IDPA choice.

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 am

Get a Sig. Much better than any of your choices, IMO.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:07 am

I do like the Sigs, don't get me wrong - my 22 is a Mosquito. But it's that 850 dollar price that just hits me in the gut.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:57 am

Get a used Sig - cheaper and still works great. Hardly likely to be "worn out". (Might replace the springs, though - not expensive)
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 pm

I would say the Glock19, but shoot one first. Glocks are not for everyone--some people love em, some hate em. I used to hate Glocks but bought one for a kind of a silly reason, shot it a lot, and now I actually like them. Sigs are great too, but they cost a pretty penny.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:11 pm

An indoor range (which I normally avoid like the plague) has a 19 I can try down south. I'll wander down there and try it. Thanks for the advice everyone! Where do you find used Sigs Devereaux? Buds? Gun broker always kinds of sketches me out a bit.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Well, in truth, I find them at my local gunstore. I get great deals. But then, you could try CDNN - they always have a ton of stuff. Or consider GunBroker. I have bought a couple pistols there and gotten what I considered good deals. One Sig 227, and a whole 228 kit without ONLY the actual frame (but all the parts inside).
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 am

Beta, before dining in too far I would go ahead and try IDPA with what you have. Personally I would try it with that 1911.

I started shooting IDPA a couple of years ago. My first match was with an S&W Highway Patrolman 357 revolver.

No matter what you do, you will absolutely change your mind after shooting a couple of matches, after seeing what works and what doesn't.

Most IDPA targets are fairly close and that small sight won't put you at a huge disadvantage at first. What will hold you back are the skills you don't have yet.

I think you will find that the most common guns at IDPA will be Glocks, followed by S&W M&P's , in 9mm
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:24 pm

So, to extrapolate from TJ's post, Glock if you're a revolver guy, and M&P is you're a 1911 guy. It's all in the angle.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Awesome, thanks guys!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm

Don't forget the new HK VP9, Walther PPQ M2, and the Steyr.  All are getting good chatter.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:45 pm

I'd actually looked at all 3 as good options, for sure! In particular I really like the look of the PPQ and I hear it has an amazing trigger. I'll have to scout around and see where in town someone has those to rent and try.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Not sure on the Walther, but the HK might have expensive mags which are a little harder to find.  Same goes for the Steyer. If competing, you will probably want to have several spare mags.  Glock mags, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere. Not trying to push the Glock on you, just want you to be aware that you will have to consider the extra mags no matter what you end up buying.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Corn has a strong point. I shoot at IDPA matches on an indoor range. I have noticed that dropping mags onto a hard floor frequently will greatly reduce that mag's ability to keep working properly. If one of my Glock mags stops working, I throw it away and go buy another one for $25.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 am

OR you find some decent bumpers and install them on the bottom of the mags. Makes then fall straight and hit on the bumper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:50 pm