The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
AChristianMarksman
Cornmastah
6 posters

Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice Empty Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:04 pm

This was talked about a little in the SKS thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.  What is your home defense/bug-in long gun of choice?  

Currently for me, the 870 is by the bed in case of an intruder.  However if there was a disaster or SHTF situation, I would take either my Saiga 12g loaded with a 20rnd drum full of #4 buck or my .300 blk AR15.  As far as raw firepower, I haven't seen many things that are close to the saiga 12g with a 20rnd drum loaded full of buckshot.  I have tuned and used mine enough that I would trust it in a life threatening situation.  I have put over 1.5k rounds through it and it is well broken-in and very reliable.  Plus, it looks mean.

My .300 blk rifle is gaining my trust and interest more and more as I experiment with loads and see what it can do.  Not sure what ballistics tests from the pros have shown, but I know at close range (from my range time/experiments) the .300 blk hits harder than the 5.56.
    AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice Empty Re: Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice

Post by AChristianMarksman Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 am

I have a Mossy 590 for this very reason. Not as powerful as your 20 round drum, but not to shabby overall...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice Empty Re: Home Defense SHTF "Bug-In" Long Gun of Choice

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:57 pm

In a Bug-In situation (earthquake, social unrest), I'm with ACM, the Mossy 590 "Special Persuader" (dumb name) will be on my back, with a bandoleer of 50 progressively more persuasive loads over the shoulder, and a Glock on the hip. In the safe room will be reloads, mags, and an AR or two.

Been there, during the Rodney King riots, with gangs burning businesses less than a city block away. No cops. Really uncomfortable.

Wondering if I shouldn't invest in a bulletproof tactical vest or a 5.11 plate carrier...
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 pm

I really like shotgun shell bandoleers.  I have one of these hanging by the bed next to my 870.
    Link:w ww.blackhawk.com/product/55rnd-Shotgun-Bandoleer,820,1388.htm
    It has about 1/3 birdshot and then the rest is #4 buck.  

Internet commandos would probably criticize my choice to have bird shot in the bandoleer, and tell me that bird shot wouldn't penetrate enough or whatever.  However, I have done some non-scientific testing which would suggest otherwise (ie: shredding up various things).  At close distances it is devastating.  The shot holds a pretty tight pattern for a while before spreading out--contrary to what most people typically think about shotguns.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I really like shotgun shell bandoleers.  I have one of these hanging by the bed next to my 870.
    Link:w ww.blackhawk.com/product/55rnd-Shotgun-Bandoleer,820,1388.htm
    It has about 1/3 birdshot and then the rest is #4 buck.  

Internet commandos would probably criticize my choice to have bird shot in the bandoleer, and tell me that bird shot wouldn't penetrate enough or whatever.  However, I have done some non-scientific testing which would suggest otherwise (ie: shredding up various things).  At close distances it is devastating.  The shot holds a pretty tight pattern for a while before spreading out--contrary to what most people typically think about shotguns.

Yep. Mine is just about the same - bought from Cheap Dirt - but it holds 5 less Sad

My bandoleer starts with #6 Birdshot, and quickly progresses through #4 birdshot, 4/0, 3/0, lots of 2/0, then finishes with "I've got no freakin' better idea" 3" slugs. The 590 is loaded with #6 bird, in respect for the neighbors in our close SoCal 'hood. I've practiced loading from the port, holding the rounds in the tube - just one of the joys of a pumper. Like Cornie, I've also tested #6 against a lots of close targets. It'll do the job in our small SoCal mansions. The range of choices in the bandoleer are there if we have to bug-out very quickly.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Cornmastah wrote:...It has about 1/3 birdshot and then the rest is #4 buck.  

Birdshot will NOT penetrate very well, at least when thinking of stopping someone. #4, OTOH, is an excellent choice.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:...Been there, during the Rodney King riots, with gangs burning businesses less than a city block away. No cops. Really uncomfortable.

Wondering if I shouldn't invest in a bulletproof tactical vest or a 5.11 plate carrier...

[url=Bulletproofme.com]Bulletproofme.com[/url] make very nice vests, and you can add a trauma plate to enhance the protection while adding only a little weight. If you want more, last time I looked Palmento Armory (I think) had real plate vests that stop .308.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Gawsh. That's a tough call. I guess I really don't see much need to deviate from my Remington 870 that stays beside my bed. 18.5" tritium sights, modified choke, and a magpul stock and forearm. It stays loaded with OO in the tube and slugs in the side saddle. If range were to become more of an issue, I suppose I would be inclined to grab my Rossi 92 .454 Casull lever gun. It's pretty happy with my 45 Colt loads, and when loaded with 300 grain XTP .454s it pushes them out the barrel around 2K FPS. Seems that would be adequate for most anything I'd ever have to deal with?

My .45 cal S&W N frame is a given. I prefer the .45 Colt, but in that kinda scenario, I could also be tempted by the 65 loaded moon clips for my .45 ACP 625.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Here in St Looney - I've upgraded the 590 to 4/0 buck. The neighbors aren't arm's length away, and windows on the side of the houses are rare. But... the shotgun is locked in the safe. In my view, the open spaces call for an AR carbine, which is kept in a gun locker in the bedroom. Being back in 'Murica, there are... ahem, several... ahem, standard capacity mags with 62gn self-defense loads.

Glocks 40 continue to be my handguns of choice.

BTW, took my CCW class. Tomorrow, I apply for my permit. Ordered two IWB AlienGear holsters tonight. Things are going to get interesting in several weeks as I enter a new phase in my armed life.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm starting to get more and more concerned about sound levels, especially indoors, and continue looking for good defensive arms that won't blow my eardrums out on the first shot.

Due in large part to my recently becoming the owner of two 357 mag lever action rifles, they each now have a prominent place in my defense plan.

Of highest importance is the fact that my kids love shooting them. Fairly low recoil and noise, especially compared to a shotgun or high power rifle, all leads to familiarity by others in the family, and that's exactly what I want.

I've done some research on gel tests with 158 grain JHP's and JSP's of 357 mag rifles, and the results are impressive. I like these rifles for both short range inside, as well as defense out to ranges that might reasonably be deemed to occur outdoors.

I still keep a magnum revolver either on me or within arms reach, but I continue experimenting with a Glock 9mm conversion.

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:32 pm

You know TJ there are "hearing aids" that act to both augment sound AND clamp down when you shoot. The cost these days seems to be about $3-400 for a pair.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Yes, but that amount of money will buy a LOT of 357 mag components.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 am

Which are all to naught if you can't hear or see when you HAVE to shoot.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:14 am

lol... you could always bastardize the lever gun and shorten the tube, thread the barrel, and throw a suppressor on it. I have a great load for that btw, ha ha.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 am

Corn, sometimes I get the impression that ALL your weapons are suppressed.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Not ALL of them, but enough that we can have a fun family shooting outing without taking ear protection.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 pm

On top of the bedroom gun locker where my HD AR-15 lives, I've got a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs. If I've got enough time to arm up the AR, I've likely got enough time to slip on the muffs. I can crank up the volume and hear a mouse fart, with good ability to determine the direction of the sound.

The best solution, however, will be a suppressed pistol and short barreled rifle. Things could get really expensive, really quick. Wink
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:50 pm

That's what I REALLY need...a suppressor.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:That's what I REALLY need...a suppressor.

I would second that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:06 pm