The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?

betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?  Empty Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?

Post by betafu2 Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Is there such a thing?

I was at the Texas International Gun Festival and shot an amazing Beretta over and under. It got my blood boiling for some skeet but realistically I'd want it to dual-purpose for self-defense. I assume pump action would be the way to go?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?  Empty Re: Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?

Post by Devereaux Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:19 am

No such thing.

You look at any serious skeet or trap shooter and you find either and O/U or single barrel (trap). ALL defensive shotguns are multi-round guns - the more rounds you can load the better. Autos are a lot better than pumps, although going cheap usually leads to a pump.

Mosberg is the name most often associated with "cheap" defensive shotguns. Corn has a Saiga, with its mags. Not my cup of tea, but certainly able to put out some fire. I keep a Chink 97 in the closet. Had my druthers I'd have a Benelli M4. Best auto for SD made.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?  Empty Re: Best shotgun for skeet plus self-defense?

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:26 pm

My vote is a Remington 1100 with 2 barrels, one for your skeet shooting, and an 18 incher for defensive purposes.

I personally prefer the 870, and use it for defense plus hunting, but hunting isn't the same as skeet shooting, and a pump action can be less than optimal for skeet.

Or, you can also do what I sometimes do and be the designated redneck at the local snobby skeet range with a side by side coach gun.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:28 pm

The issue with a pump for skeet is, the pump action can prevent that ultra smooth swing to the second shot so often needed in skeet. That's why you usually see the best skeet shooters with over/unders and semi autos.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Hrmm. OK I think my best bet may be focusing on getting that wheelgun first, putting together the AR and punt the shotgun question down the road in true corporate 'we'll deal with this the next fiscal quarter' style. Thanks everyone though! That matches with what I was thinking.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:30 pm

It depends on the intended use. If you are wanting to participate in competitive skeet or trap shooting, you will want to buy a different type of shotgun than if you want to just go out with some buddies on the weekends and casually shoot some clays. With a pump shotgun, you can use it for home defense, hunting, and weekend clay shooting.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm

I think casual for sure. I don't think I'd want to be competitive yet; my first competition experience I think is going to be IDPA.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Everyone has their own preferences. I personally own a couple Belgian Browning O/U's, a Valmet O/U, 3 Winchester 1897's one of which is a Chink copy, a Model 12, and a trap version of a Remington 1100. I rather like them all. I seem to shoot the Brownings the best, but do pretty well with the Model 12 too.

BUT if you attend the Sig Academy course on shotgun (3 days) the ONLY shotgun that makes it through that course without breaking down is the Benelli. The 1100's puke at some point in the 3 days and require first aid. So does everything else.

Take that for what it's worth. Not a question of looks or likes, but simply reliability.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:39 pm

I also have a few different kinds of shotguns. I have a couple Saiga-12's, a russian made Remington coach shotgun, rem 870 supermag, MKA 1919, and a single shot shotgun. Although I primarily shoot my longer barreled Saiga, I think a quality pump shotgun is hard to beat for a first and multipurpose shotgun. I have been itchin' for a CZ Ringneck side by side 12g though--it is definitely on my long list.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I own a Mossy 590 for HD -- buuuuuut, I shoot a Winchester 1897 pumper in SASS. In essence, my CAS competition is practice for the pump 590. Special case. I shoot some skeet, and I find using a pump is -- challenging. Fun, but not a way to increase your scores. Nearly all competitors use a O/U or semi shotgun. I own a Benelli semi for skeet and trap.

Massad Ayoob recommends a youth-stocked, gas operated, 20 gauge for dedicated HD. Especially, if you have a smaller SigOth and/or shorties in the house.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Those 20 gauge Remingtons are nice. I've got a Youth Express, and the receiver is notably smaller than a 12 gauge 870. Verrrrry handy and quick. It's what I use for pheasant hunting in some very thick brush. I'd expect that with an 18 inch barrel it should handle like a lever action carbine.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:17 am

For defense, would you just front bead sight it? Or ghost ring?

I know the guys went over shotguns and shell selection in an episode, I'll have to go back and listen again.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 am

Sights are, I believe, a personal thing. I find a brass bead to be all that I need, but others would rather spend a lot of money for their sights.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:52 am

I spent so much of my youth firing shotguns at various critters I'm pretty comfortable with sighting on just a bead or fiber optic on the muzzle end of the barrel.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 am

It...... depends.  

A natural shotgun pairing is home defense/ deer hunting. If you think you might ever use a slug for longer ranges, rifle sights are indicated. If not, a bright bead works. However... I shot half a trap round before I realized my Chinchester 97's brass bead was AWOL.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm

If you practice enough with a shotgun, you might not even need sights. When I shoot clays, I don't look at my sights. Hunting with a slug might be different, however...
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Cornmastah wrote:If you practice enough with a shotgun, you might not even need sights.  When I shoot clays, I don't look at my sights.  Hunting with a slug might be different, however...

Hunting (deer) with a shotgun seems best done with a rifled barrel, sabot slugs, and a scope.

Wish I could do that with clays. For some reason I spend an unreasonable amount of time thinking about things like lead, speed, etc. And miss the bird. BUT when I hunt birds, I have no idea where the barrels are, etc. I just mount the shotgun while watching the bird and shoot. Bird falls out of the sky.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:33 pm

When I shoot clays with the buddies, we usually have one or two throwers and 2-4 shooters on the line and do a speed shoot. We start with our barrels pointed towards the ground and then raise them and shoot when someone calls it. Whoever shoots it down first gets it. Shooting that way, you get to be pretty fast and learn to shoot without using any sights. We do, however, slow it down and take turns when there is a newer shooter--so they don't get frustrated. Occasionally we play Annie Oakley with elimination--and then the opposite happens, people wait as long as possible to shoot--so they have less chance of getting eliminated if they miss. Shotguns can be lots of fun.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 am