The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The Shotgun Podcast

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

The Shotgun Podcast Empty The Shotgun Podcast

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm

If you all haven't heard it yet, I recommend the latest Gun Nation podcast on shotguns. As always a good, detailed discussion about shotguns and defensive uses.

I would add one aspect, however, regarding the defensive utility of coach guns.

What I really love about coach guns, even if they have extractors instead of ejectors (as mentioned by Grant), is that they breakdown very nicely into sections that don't exceed about 22 inches. Mine, when broken down, fits very nicely in a camera tripod case, which is about the ultimate in a discrete carry bag.

When I'm travelling, provided that it's legal, I take my coach gun broken down in a camera tripod case into the hotel room with me. In about 10 seconds it's together and provides a very effective hotel-room-defense gun. Yes, it only has 2 shots before reloading, but those 2 shots are destined to be more effective than whatever handgun I have with me.

Of course, an 870 with extended magazine tube would be even better. However, I know that I'm not going to walk through a hotel lobby to my room carrying a case that shouts "GUN INSIDE".
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

The Shotgun Podcast Empty Re: The Shotgun Podcast

Post by Cornmastah Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I have actually debated on using my coach 12g shotgun with a 5 round side saddle as a bedside gun instead of my 870. I feel like I am pretty proficient with the coach gun, but I admit I am not as fast as a pump shotgun. The reason that I am considering changing my bedside gun is due to a few failures to extract on my 870 when using some cheapy walmart ammo. While my saiga's and 870 have had a few issues with crappy ammo, my coach gun has not. Those few failures make me wonder if that 870 will ever choke on my good defense ammo when I need it to protect my family.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 pm

I think the coach gun makes a very fine bedside gun. Easy to load and unload, short overall length, caveman simple to run.

I keep mine handy in the house, primarily because it is the one long gun I know for a fact that authorized others in my household can effectively operate.

Two rounds isn't ideal, but they sure aren't bad. Being a revolver fanatic, I'm completely sold on the notion of lower capacity in exchange for almost certain reliability.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:10 pm

I've had some very similar issues to Cornmastah. Last time I shot my 870 I was running 3" magnum buckshot through it. upon firing the shells would NOT eject, as they were too long. I don't know if they had a mix up with 3.5" shells, or what, but they were way too long to eject once fired. Such a mishap would not be nearly as big a deal with a traditional coach gun.

So...I got rid of all that ammo I had (Remington) and I'm now using only 2 3/4" loads. Still leaving me a bit queasy.

And...as luck would have it, I just wandered into a very nice CZ Coach gun. I'm luke warm on the exposed hammers, but...it does not have an automatic safety, which is a plus, and I do like knowing that they're fully at rest for the countless years the gun will not be in use. Having two barrels, two triggers, etc. it does tend to give one more of a feeling of safety.

With regards to OAL, I was slightly chagrined to find that my coach gun was only about 1.5" shorter than my 870 in terms of OAL
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Well, 1.5" doesn't sound like much, but it might feel like a difference.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm

You're right about that. I also like the weight and balance of the SxS better, hands down. It might sound petty, but...end up holding that gun on a bad guy for 20 minutes while waiting for the cops to arrive, that extended magazine-forward weighted pump might start getting heavy.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm

I've thought about that, too. I can't say a coach gun is the proverbial "One Gun To Rule Them All", but I do think it can solve a lot of problems in ways a lot of people haven't considered before.

Have you added a flashlight to the front, held in between the barrels with a piece of bicycle inner tube, a la Clint Smith, yet? Once you do, then you've got a tacti-cool coach gun.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Haven't yet, but I intend to. classiest way to attach a light I can think of. I like to consider myself a pragmatist, but them Stoegers and Mossbergs with the quad rails....they still make me cringe every time.

To me there are many luxuries to humility. Once a guy admits to himself that he's not likely to take on zombie bears, charging hoards of Meth Monkeys, the Red Army, etc. choices in life seem to become much simplified.

When I was a kid, I did use a Savage 311 20 ga. in a defensive manner. No shots fired, but for a scared kid with a trembling voice....I had their full attention.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 am

A wise old cop once told me, the two scariest things are are scared kid with a double barrel shotgun, and an angry old lady with a 22 rimfire rifle.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:08 pm

That sounds like a hellaciously wise dude who definitely understands small town, rural living.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm