The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun Empty Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm

I've been thinking lately about the concept of what is the most versatile long gun, given my particular lifestyle and circumstances: that is, ordinary guy, in a suburban/semi-rural home, and a pretty threat-free existence.

The odds of me ever taking a defensive shot past 25 yards is beyond remote. I do every once in a while have to take out a critter or two (e.g., snakes, coyotes, one time had to deal with a rabid raccoon).

With the latest run on guns, part of me thinks I should run out and get an AR while I can. However, under these circumstances, I can't get past the idea that a solid reliable shotgun makes the most sense as the go-to long arm of the house. If I keep buckshot, slugs, and a light game load handy, I can take care of about any defensive threat I could reasonably anticipate.

What do you think? Have we gotten to a place where shotguns aren't as relevant, or are they just overlooked in the latest Obama induced "get-your-high-cap-while-you-can" frenzy?
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun Empty Re: Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:51 pm

TJ, my opinion is that if you currently do not have a single AR-15, you should go and get one or two while they are selling for so little.  Quality AR-15's are good, light weight, reliable, and versatile guns.  Heck, buy one and get a couple uppers in a couple different calibers--that way if certain ammo gets hard to get, you have options.  Get a standard 5.56 rifle and then when you want to make a bigger bang, pick up a .458 Socom upper.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun Empty Re: Thinking About Revisiting the Shotgun

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Well, that's not a bad idea. I have shot AR's, just never warmed up to them, especially the 5.56 versions. I will at least take a look at buying a lower, so I can change my mind later if so desired.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 am

By all means nab an AR while they're available but pick up that shotgun along the way...even during the "ammo drought" there was always shotgun ammo on the shelf...and yes they do have their place.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:05 pm

1-10-100-1000

Every 'Murican; man, woman and child needs:

1 AR-15 (Mil-Spec)
    10 Standard (30 round) Capacity Magazines
    100 Hours of Firearms Training (lifetime goal)
    1000 Rounds of .223 or 5.56 ammunition

Future proof your rights. Love it or hate it, the AR-15 is the firearm of the modern militiaman. Having the most popular semi-auto centerfire rifle will make the trainin, maintaining, and equipping logistic so much simpler.

I like the S&W M&P 15 Sport II and the Ruger AR-556 for great, solid, high value, low cost AR-15s. You can build your next one 'zactly as you want it. And yes, there'll be a next one. Wink

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 pm

I recently added a 6.5 grendel to the AR collection. Gotta love the versatility of the AR platform. If you haven't gotten an AR yet TJ, you might want to get on it! At least pick up a lower. Do it while the prices are low.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Yeah, I'm still mulling it over. Looked at a few different models, looked into parts for building one myself. Don't know why, I have a hard time getting excited about it. I guess my primary issue is, I love my lever actions too much. I highly value my range time, and I can picture me shooting an AR, wishing I was shooting a lever action instead.

If I get just a bare lower receiver, is there one you recommend? I understand Aero Precision is highly thought of.

As far as complete rifles, I've looked at the Ruger AR 556, the S&W Sport II, the Colt 6920 and 6720, and a few more expensive others. Today I'd lean towards the 6720, just because I like the idea of less weight, but I'm not really sold on it enough to make a purchase yet.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:27 am

Well, consider buying a rifle with no front sight (ie. flat-top with low profile gas block). Make sure you get one that has a free-floated barrel. Then add BUIS, or an optic of your choice.

Shotguns. You need somewhere to practice, and about the only practice venue is skeet of trap. IF you have a short-barrelled shotgun (defensive type) you then need spin-in chokes to shoot those things. Not much else makes any sense for practicing with a shotgun - other than hunting birds maybe. You can try 3-gun, but now you get into specialized stuff of some serious money, whicn only Corn can afford, considering how many guns he has.

Back to AR's. You can buy 5.56 for about $350/case (1k). ?What lever gun can you get that kind of cheap ammo for. You can find a stripped-down version of Maglulu bench loader for about $170. It will allow you to load a 30-rnd mag in less than a minute. You get at least 10 mags, load them up for the range and then put them in the gunbag you have for the AR. And off to the range for some decent shooting (300 rnds will take up a little of your time). And you just might find it fun!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:24 pm

And even with the same AR, there are different ways you can shoot it.  You can throw glass on top, zoom in, and shoot pretty far--or you can use regular irons--or you can throw a red dot and have a nice self defense/shorter range rifle, etc...   AR-15 Versatility! I have used various brands of stripped lowers for AR builds, if they are milspec, they should work fine. I'm not the kind of guy who spends lots of money for a high end brand name stripped lower. Barrel is more important to me.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE shooting lever action rifles, but every home needs an AR.  Try it! Like Dev says, You MIGHT like it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Corn makes an important point. Lowers, if they are milspec, are about interchangeable. You can get parts for cheap or find more expensive stuff that you like better (like safeties or triggers or take-down pins). I believe the upper and the barrel are the important parts. Free-float the barrel and it will shoot great. Use a quality upper. But lowers should cost you about $50 (I bought 5 for $200 from Brownell's a while ago - just in case I wanted to builid some more).

You NEED at least ONE AR. And then you just might get some more - kind of like lever guns or potato chips; hard to stop once you start.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm