The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Interesting 44 Magnum Load

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Interesting 44 Magnum Load Empty Interesting 44 Magnum Load

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Kinda quiet in this reloading section. Guess I'll have to soil it with my goofy thoughts.

I have this S&W 629, 4 inch barrel, that I semi-regulary carry. My primary ammo I carry in it is Underwood 44 Special, 200 grain Gold Dots, travelling at 1100 fps. How I landed on that choice is a long story, but to summarize, it has impressive numbers when fired into gelatin through 4 layers of denim.

So, I've been looking for a bullet that I can handload to get similar ballistics, for cheaper and easier practice during these dark and trying times. Tried Nosler 200 grain JHP's before, but they are darn expensive, and mighty hard to locate in the current Obama Ammo Drought of 2014.

Recently I noticed that Rim Rock Bullets is making a crazy 200 grain 44 caliber dual end wadcutter. Looks like a lead soup can for pygmies. The weight is right, and I expect it would make a reasonable defense/all purpose load if I ever had to rely on hardcast handloads for those purposes (Zombie Apocalypse, etc.).

I guess I probably shouldn't list the actual recipe I used, but let's just say that I used Unique, with a load that was more than 44 Special and less than 44 magnum. Chronographed it at the range and velocity is coming in at 1180 fps. Success!

Having a lot of fun with this load. It's noisy, with a good kick but not too bad. Best part of all is the big circle that each round puts in the target. Love how the paper disappears in .43 diameter increments.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Interesting 44 Magnum Load Empty Re: Interesting 44 Magnum Load

Post by Cornmastah Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Accuracy and consistency?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I'll try to post a photo of the target and the data tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 pm