The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive Empty Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Went shooting with a buddy over the weekend. He brought a newly purchased Ruger American in 45 acp.

I was shooting a Colt 1991 and an S&W 28, so I tried hard to make my "Wow, neat" smile hide the fact that I was groaning on the inside about yet-another-polymer-striker-fired-pistol.

He asked if I wanted to shoot it, and with a very condescending heart and still struggling not to show my utter contempt for, yet-another-polymer-striker-fired-pistol, I said "I'd love to."

And then I put 5 shots into one ragged hole at 12 yards.

Good Lord Almighty, that was one very fine shooting handgun. The grip wasn't noticeably wider than my 1911, the trigger was reminiscent of an XD I had a long time ago, and the reset was good. Recoil was unnoticeable. It holds 10 rounds in the mag, and I don't remember when I've ever shot someone else's pistol as well as I can my 1911. I also can't remember the last time I fired a new pistol and was as impressed as I was with this one.

All that is to say, if you're in the market for yet-another-polymer-striker-fired-pistol, I strongly recommend taking a look at that new Ruger American.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive Empty Re: Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 am

Was the experience enough to make you want to shell out cash to get one? Did it feel pretty decent quality wise?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive Empty Re: Ruger American 45 ACP ---- Impressive

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

From just my time shooting it, it seemed of very good quality, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking it over closely. It felt like an ergonomic Glock, but a little slimmer in the grip. Maybe a little lower bore axis.

I would definitely lay out cash for it, IF I was in the market for a new semi-auto.

However, you know how I feel about wheelguns. My next purchase is likely going to be either the new S&W 66 with 2 3/4" barrel, or a 686+ with 3" barrel. Because magnum wheelgun.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 pm

So many new offerings. But not much that really tickles my fancy.

I would like to get a Tavor. No particular reason. I expect they should start getting cheaper as they have been around a bit.

I have thought of the new Sig 320. And maybe the new Sig Optic for which it's already milled.

But nothing seems to really be cranking my head.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm starting to see more Tavors at my range. And that is weird, because the regulars at my range tend to be classic-gun people.

One guy liked his so much he bought one for his wife, and the two of them are often there on weekends with his & her Tavors.

The only thing new out there that has me interested enough to spend money, and that interest is only very slight, is the New Mossberg 590 Shockwave shotgun (https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/).

However, I've not researched it enought to be 100% certain it's legal in Tennessee. Until then, I'll just keep putting my money into ammo.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 pm

That 590 shockwave is pretty weird looking. Looks like it "should" cost extra tax money--but doesn't. I wonder how bad the recoil is and how you're supposed to shoot it.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Cornmastah wrote:That 590 shockwave is pretty weird looking.  Looks like it "should" cost extra tax money--but doesn't.  I wonder how bad the recoil is and how you're supposed to shoot it.

Last week, Michael Banes Downrange Radio podcast discussed the shorty shotguns and the Schockwave. He liked the Mossy. Because of the birdhead grip, recoil wasn't too bad.

Howevah, Ian of Forgotten Weapons conclusively showed the advantages of a stocked shotgun over a shorty in speed and accuracy.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:15 am

I think shorty shotguns are things for TV. In real life one uses stocked shotguns - for both hunting versions.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am

I like Gabe Suarez's take on these. They are for short range, and for maximum terminal effectiveness at that distance. Nothing more.

In my much younger days, a very long time ago, I got to spend a fair amount of time with a cut-down 12 gauge over and under with a rounded off, birdshead type grip. I found it surprisingly easy to hit targets out at 10 - 15 yards. I would raise it up to eye level to aim, extending both arms outward but maintaining a slight bend in the elbows. You had to be ready for the recoil, to prevent the gun from coming straight back at your face. As it recoiled, I would direct the birdshead grip slightly downward, which kept me from catching the shotgun in my teeth.

At best, I think these fit only a very small niche. Maximum terminal ballistics at across-the-room distances. Shoulder stocks are absolutely preferred. Absolutely. However, these pistol grip shotguns can, in some instances, be stowed discretely when a full shoulder stick shotgun may not. And I think that if I had to deal with a bad guy at across-the-car or across-the-room distances, I think I might prefer having one of these in my hands over a handgun. Maybe. I'm not 100% certain on that yet.

Regardless, I think one of these, maybe with a red dot mounted on top of the receiver, would be a whole heck of a lot of fun at the shooting range. And, with prices under $400, that's not bad for a range toy.

And I am just the kind of goofball to think this would be pretty fun. Heck, I STILL want to get one of those Rossi Ranch Hands, the lever action Winch. 92 clone with the cut down stock.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:21 pm

I have a friend, Marine, retired CPD, who worked as a detective, a lot in vice. He had a 12 ga side-by-side, chrome plated, with a pistol grip and maybe 6" of barrel. He would bring it now and then to "meets" where he was unsure of numbers, it was dark, and he needed an edge. The chrome plating would shine in the low light, and everyone was impressed. He never had to shoot it. He called it his "target pistol".

That said, I am still unimpressed with shotgun performance at close range. Yes, the Western lawmen put an awful lot of bad guys down with 10 ga. shotguns, but those fights were across the street - a goodly further distance than your room unless you live in one of those fairy princess castles with rooms 100' long. Shot spread at 15' isn't all that impressive; the only advantage a short shotgun barrel gives you is that the shot starts somewhat closer to you.

This is not to say you shouldn't use a shotgun for defense. Just really understand it's limitations. The intimidation factor is certainly something. But if it comes down to shooting, you will still have to shoot well.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Did you see shotguns used much in Vietnam?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:59 pm

No. The gunny had a Model 12 and he had some shells that were 00 Buck but he had substituted salt - to keep the dogs away. I carried a blooper now and again out on patrol and usually had a shotgun shell in it, as if the ambush was close it might be effective as a first round. But I never fired it.

Shotguns in general were rare - in Nam, in the Service.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:28 am

Friend of the family was issued a Win 1897 Trench Shotgun(!) during the early days of 'Nam. I think he was mainly stationed in or nearby cities. I remember that he liked it more than the M-14 the other guys were carrying.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 am

As you know, 97's have no disconnect. Same is true for Model 12's - at least early ones. It's one reason you see those shotguns in the service.

In today's world auto's have kind of taken the front seat, at least when you speak of self defense. The services don't seem to have gone there. You do have shotgun rounds for the M-79 attachment (can't remember the designation for the M16 with the grenade launcher underbarrel). IF I was carrying one of those weapons I do believe I would have a shotgun shell in the case for walk-around. If the ambush was close, let loose with it also. If it's further, shoot the rifle and take out the shell, to replace it with a better explosive as the situation requires. I myself was partial to the Bouncing Betty round.

But overall I don't see a lot of military use for shotguns.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:55 am