The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Sold a few guns...

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Sold a few guns... Empty Sold a few guns...

Post by Cornmastah Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Been going through my safe and analyzing which guns I should keep and which ones I really should sell.  I ended up selling my GSG 1911-22 and my Ruger SR-22 handguns.  I just didn't shoot those two .22 handguns much, and my Ruger MKIII does an all around better job than those two.  One thing I noticed during my family reunions this summer, the SR-22 shoots way high and to the left when a thread adapter and suppressor are put on.  It pretty much made the gun unusable when suppressed--which is how I shoot most of my .22's now.  My MKIII with a red dot and suppressor was drilling 100 yard steel plates while rested.  I just found that with the MKIII set up the way it was, I had no need for those other two .22 handguns.  The MKIII is a dang accurate pistol.  In the future I might buy another identical MKIII to use for .22 pistol duels.

I am also debating selling my Marlin 336 in 30-30.  I haven't shot it in over a year and a half, and with my current guns, I don't know why I should keep it.  With the CZ chambered in 7.62x39 and my .300 blk rifles, It seems like the 100-300 yard range is covered quite well.  Although I do love lever action rifles, I am not sure if the 30-30 cartridge has much to offer me now.  If I sell this rifle, I will need to replace it with something so I don't get seller's remorse.  I was thinking maybe a Uberti Schofield, a suppressor, a lever action .22, a tactical solutions .22 upper like this, or maybe some more/better optics for some of my existing firearms.

Thoughts?

[If guns are a gift, an inherited item, or have any sentimental value, I don't sell them--even if they have no shooting value to me.]
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Sold a few guns... Empty Re: Sold a few guns...

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Man, I'd think long and hard about it before selling that Marlin.

I once came very close to selling off a Winchester 94 to buy something (I can't remember what now). A family member talked me out of it. A decade later, when I started handloading 30-30, I was very grateful I didn't sell it off.

I know there are a gazillion 336's out there, but I think at least one trusty 30-30 lever action should live in every American household. Even if you can't find a use for it now, they make darn fine trunk guns.

Not to mention, I recently read about a 4 layer denim gel test on another forum recently, where they were testing Winchester 30-30 150 grain jhp ammo out of a 20 inch barrel rifle. The results were extremely impressive. Penetrated somewhere around 13 inches as I recall, mushroomed nicely, but the real shocker was that there was so much energy transferred that the 50 pound block stood up on one end, then fell off the table.

After reading that, and reading about similar tests with that round, I turned that old 94 into my house gun. Added a Williams peep sight and put a flashlight on the end of the barrel, Clint-Smith-style via a bicycle inner tube.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:45 pm

I've sold two guns -- and regret selling both. Both weren't performing at the time. However, as I've learned more, gotten into reloading, and... became a much better shooter, I think maybe now... I could have tamed those bastards.

Then again, I don't do much buying or trading. Transferring a gun here in Cali is such a pain, no one does it much. But I understand you guys in America wheel and deal all the time. True?

If so, I can't wait to get there!

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Your SR probably has a thread problem. I presume that both the pistol without the suppressor and the suppressor on other weapons shoot fine. If so, your threads on the end of the barrel are messed up, throwing the round into a sideways suppressor. It will wear out the suppressor much more quickly also.

I sold a Jap Nambu pistol and an Italian Carcano rifle (like supposedly used by Oswald to shoot Kennedy) and haven't looked back. I sold a Glock 17 (1st gen with the light trigger) and a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece - and kick myself every day over those. Neither were used much, but I wish I had both.

So if you're hurting for food - take the Marlin out and shoot a deer, and you're good. But don't sell it. Advise from an old guy.
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:24 am

If it is a pre-Remlin marlin then as the man says they don't make them like that any more. Do you reload for 7.62x39mm? Like surplus 8mm and 303 it may not be around for ever, even though at the time people feel they are swimming in it.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:14 pm

sthwestvictoria wrote:If it is a pre-Remlin marlin then as the man says they don't make them like that any more.  Do you reload for 7.62x39mm?  Like surplus 8mm and 303 it may not be around for ever, even though at the time people feel they are swimming in it.

It is not a pre-remlin/marlington--but it works fine and looks good. I just don't know if I need a 30-30 in the safe anymore. I haven't shot it in what seems like ages, and it seems that I have several other guns that can do what a 30-30 can do and even better. As far as reloading for the 7.62x39, yes I have the dies and some brass, but no I have not had the need to load for it yet.
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by sthwestvictoria Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    sthwestvictoria wrote:If it is a pre-Remlin marlin then as the man says they don't make them like that any more.  Do you reload for 7.62x39mm?  Like surplus 8mm and 303 it may not be around for ever, even though at the time people feel they are swimming in it.

It is not a pre-remlin/marlington--but it works fine and looks good.  I just don't know if I need a 30-30 in the safe anymore.  I haven't shot it in what seems like ages, and it seems that I have several other guns that can do what a 30-30 can do and even better.  As far as reloading for the 7.62x39, yes I have the dies and some brass, but no I have not had the need to load for it yet.

Then you may do well to sell it on. Not sure what the scene is like in the US but here in Australia there is a premium for the pre-Remlin Marlins. If you are not beholden to it then sell it on and don't look back.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Haven't looked at Marlins for a while, but older Marlins were always at a premium. Now that Remington has messed them up semi-permanently, perhaps ALL Marlins of less than recent vintage are of increased value.

It would mean my Guide gun is worth more too. I have one of the older ones, with the vented barrel, in blue, in .45-70. Great brush gun for deer.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm reading some buzz on the net that latest production Marlin 1894 .44 Mag levers are quite good, perhaps the equal of the pre-2005 Marlins. The new Marlingtons are rumored to be extensively QC'd and gunsmithed to help rebuild the brand. It just might be time to pick up one of those new 44s.  

Could Remington be finally pulling its head out of its corporate @$$? I hope so - I've got a bunch of Marlins I need to buy.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Yes, but I would still wait a bit. Just because they are "better" isn't necessarily the time to jump back into the game. If they're good, there will be more - kind of like Jay's Potatoe Chips.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:39 am

Maybe I will hold on to it for a while and decide later. With all the casting stuff going on, I might be able to shoot this gun more often using almost free cast lead bullets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:19 am