The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Cornmastah
Charlie Foxtrot
6 posters

"Six Guns You Have To Own"

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

"Six Guns You Have To Own" Empty "Six Guns You Have To Own"

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Caleb is linkerbating again with his Six Guns You Have To Own

In general, I agree with his categories. However, he's way too specific: ie: you have to own a Colt 1911 and a Rem 870 pumper, even though arguably there are other superior choices, such as S&W and Springfield 1911s or the Mossy 500.

There's no modern fighting handgun - for reals? But he does include a traditional muzzle loading rifle... wut? I'm thinking Caleb hit his head when he walked underneath a table.   Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

"Six Guns You Have To Own" Empty Re: "Six Guns You Have To Own"

Post by Cornmastah Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm

I disagree with most of his list.  I own several firearms, but will probably never buy a muzzle loader.  No interest there.  I don't hunt, and don't really see the point of one.  I don't even like them for historic value.  I also noticed there was no .22 rifle on the list--IMO EVERYONE should own a .22 rifle.  I also think a mosin nagant is a little more practical than the mauser, but if limited to 6 guns, I wouldn't even put that one on there.  My list would be more like this:

1. Glock or M&P or XD or whatever reliable modern handgun you want
    2. Pump shotgun 500 or 870
    3. A good .22 rifle (mine would be a smith M&P15-22)
    4. A good bolt gun, Rem700 or lever action rifle
    5. AR-15 or AK
    6. .357 or .44 mag revolver (single or double depending on what you like)
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah, uh, wow. Can't say that an 8mm Mauser ranks anywhere on any list of mine.

Not to mention, how could a double action revolver NOT make this list?
    dankesh

Post by dankesh Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 pm

1.  A good quality carry gun such as Glock or M&P or XD because you need something dependable
    2.  A good quality shotgun such as  a Remington 870, Mossberg 500, or Benelli Nova because they're effective.
    3.  A good AR-15 because it's versatile.
    4.  A good .22 caliber handgun such as Ruger Mark III because it's easy to shoot and the ammo may become inexpensive someday.
    5.  A lever action rifle (any caliber) such as a Winchester 94 because they're fun to shoot and a part of American history.
    6.  A fine quality 1911 such as a Dan Wesson because no collection is complete without a nice 1911.

One of these days a revolver may make my list, but I haven't gotten the wheel gun fever yet.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Thu May 15, 2014 3:46 pm

from the title I was excited....
    Sixguns... but then realized it was Six guns...
    and then saw it was Caleb....
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu May 15, 2014 5:22 pm

C'mon Doc, do the Mauser Midget one better: Doc's Six Must Have Wheelies.  You might want to start another thread.  

Mine:
    1) Ruger GP100 Match
    2) Ruger Vaquero Bisley
    3) Ruger Single Six Convertible
    4) Ruger LCR .357
    5) S&W 617
    6) Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5"

Hmm, I'm not really that much of a Ruger fanboy, really. Ruger happens to best fill the revolver categories I consider essential. With the exception of a .22 Target Double Action Revolver, which the 617 fills extremely well.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Outstanding!  Turn that turd of a topic into a good one.  I'll join in.  Here's my list, in the order of my preferences:

1.  S&W 29/629 - Because there's nothing on the North American continent, from bruin to banger, that can't be handled with this revolver.  From sedate 246 LRN 44 Specials, to Elmer Keith Memorial Moose Slayers, this revolver can do it all.  

2. Ruger GP100  - An L-Frame could easily go here, too.  The 357 magnum is legendary in its stopping capabilities, especially with the 125 grain jhp.  However, a level of proficiency is required because, after all, this ain't no 9mm Glock, and the GP100 / L-Frame to me is the most convenient sized revolver that can handle regular practice with this round without fear of damaging the gun.  I like the GP100 a little better than the L-Frame because I shoot it a little more accurately, and the cylinder release is plenty far away from my shooting hand thumb.

3. Ruger Blackhawk - There's nothing like shooting a large bore single action revolver.  I prefer the Blackhawk for the adjustable sights and the transfer bar safety, but a Vaquero or SAA clone could fit here, too.

4. Colt Detective Special / Agent / Cobra - History, concealability, no-longer-made cachet, and a 6th round, all rolled into one handy little blued package.  Besides, Joe Friday carried one.  That's reason enough.

5.  North American Arms Mini Revolver - 22 Magnum - The proverbial gun for when you can't carry a gun.  Smaller and lighter than a Kel-Tec 32, more reliable and loud as can be.  Not a great primary gun, but when viewed in the context of this versus pepper spray or a tactical folding knife, the NAA Mini is a better option for the ordinary person.  

6.  S&W Model 10/64 - Someday, when I am old and can no longer shoot the magnums, this will be the gun that will defend my household.  Perfect balance, as reliable as the sun rising, very capable cartridge, smooth as silk trigger, easy recoil, and a very easy revolver to shoot well.  

Dang - Limiting to only 6 wheelguns is tough.

I'm still chuckling about the word "linkerbating".
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu May 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeh TJ.

The NRA's American Rifleman jumps the well worn shark with their 10 Rifles You Should Own Before You Die.

I love old guns to an unhealthy extent, but those guys are positively antebellum. Only one of their choices has a composite stock: the AR-15. Everything thing else is from the mid-Sixties, at best. I can just see the writers and editors clutching their chests with one hand, staggering about and flailing with the other when confronted with the need to include the most popular rifle of the decade. Dummies!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Fri May 16, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Wow! Two official lists that I find little to agree with.

Caleb's list is simply weird. I grant that a COLT 1911 is in a class separate from other 1911's. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. And I have a couple (7). And some are even a little rare (NM .38 Spl Wadcutter target). I also tend to look more at Colts than other 1911's. But I have two Kimbers, and a mutt, so I can't say it's one brand only.

?Why is everyone so hopped up on pump shotguns. I would take an auto over a pump most days of the month. Their faster, and the reliability issue is no real issue. Remington 1100 series are solid, and I like the Benelli M4's. Even Beretta makes a great auto, if the 3-gunners are to be taken seriously.

?Why in the world would anyone feel a Yugo Mauser is a "must have". I grant Mausers are serious actions, and one can generally construct any number of rifles from that action, but I still don't see it as "one of six".

A Vaquero. BAH! It isn't even a "proper" Single Action. I absolutely hate that stupid loading gate trick, and I don't have a lot of need for the transfer bar. A real Single Action is a work of art. Complete with the "clicks" to cock. So a flat-top, or a real Colt, or a USFA.

?A muzzleloader. ?Seriously. I would perhaps say that everyone ought to shoot a flintlock. It is a different experience, and one modern shooters ought to go through at least once. But having done that, I have no interest in owning a flintlock, or any other black powder weapon. I have a couple cap 'n ball Colts that technically belong to my godson, but he has shown pretty much zero interest in them and he lives in Kalifornia, so I suspect they will end up being mine, kind of by default. Still, I don't desire to fire them. I have watched some of the cowboy shooters shoot black, both as cartridges and cap 'n ball, and while it is "cute" to watch, it is in no way interesting to OWN.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 16, 2014 12:49 pm

The NRA list must have been made by some serious weeney. There is a huge preponderance of bolt guns. Many are kind of interesting, but by no means would I claim that one need to OWN them.

?Why in the world does one have to own a full-length stock rifle. It is only interesting in its strangeness. It hardly makes for a practical weapon, when a shorter stock would do fine.

That said, I would put in a plug for a Winchester Model 70 controlled feed rifle as one that people seriously ought to consider owning in some calibre. The Model 70 stock seems to absorb recoil better than other designs, making the rifle easier to shoot. My old Remington 700 in .30-'06 was tougher on me that my Model 70 .300 WinMag. Indeed, I can shoot the latter all day at the range, while the former I sold because it wasn't so pleasant to shoot.

?How come there were no service rifles. Seems to me there ought to be at least a Garand or M14. I happen to like the FAL, but while that may have been the most common western world military rifle, it is more esoteric here in the states.

There was ONE lever - the rather iconic 1894 in .30 Winchester. I suspect some of that was the result of Hollywood so popularizing that particular weapon. Still, in my book, of all the levers, the 1886 stands out. It was JMB's first (well, second technically, but first completely new) offering to Winchester. It is built like a band vault, and it has historical import. ?Savage 99 - not so much.

I DID like the Browning .22. I have that rifle as a take-down. It is neat. And it SHOOTS really, really well.

Perhaps the better title would be ten strange rifles you might own if you have the cash and nothingg better to do with it.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri May 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Caleb again. The 5 best cartridges for CCW

That munchkin is making a career out of writing outrageously dumb things.  Latest bon-mot:  9mm is mo bettah than .40 and .45 because it delivers the same terminal ballistics.

Not even close, lil' guy.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sat May 17, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm sorry. Calibre wars just don't do anything for me anymore. I have seen enough data to show that how well you shoot a mouseweapon (handgun) makes all the difference, and what you shoot doesn't so much. Even a .22 can be deadly, although perhaps not the optimal choice.

But the bottom line is that rifles kill people much better than any handgun; it's only that handguns are hand-y. I find it interesting that in days gone by people carried such lethal handguns as .32 or smaller (look at some of the pocket guns of the 19th century) and they were considered "enough" for what they needed to be. But I guess people back then shot better.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri May 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Ah, yes. A very bold move from the little feller, announcing to the planet that the 9mm is now the be-all end-all for solving defensive issues. I've only been hearing this for the past 20 years, if not longer. It's always the same old thing:

"NOW, we have developed a magic bullet that makes the 9mm at least as effective, if not more, than the 45 ACP."

I remember hearing the exact same thing about the Federal and Corbon +P+ 115 jhp's, Glasers, the 9mm Winchester Silvertips, the 147 subsonics, and now we have bonded bullets (they're scientific, dontcha know?) that THIS TIME make it for real.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Fundamental Truth of Life #1: All Handguns Suck. Clint Smith. That's 9mm, .357, 10, .40, .45. etc, etc, etc. They all suck.
    Fundamental Truth of Life #2: Some Suck Less Than Others.
    Fundamental Truth of Life #3: Nothing is unique. The improved bullet technology is not reserved for 9mms alone: the .40 and .45 have also benefited
    Fundamental Truth of Life #4: More is mo bettah.
    Fundamental Truth of Life #5: In SD, a light hit beats the shi'ite out of a powerful miss.  
    Fundamental Truth of Life #6: Everything Old is New again.
    Fundamental Truth of Life #7: Physics will always trump Marketing. But, it does so late on a Friday before a holiday.  

Like Dev, I remember the era of Wonder 9s. Many Police Officers went to the grave believing in them. For the serious student of SD, utilizing the biggest, most energetic cartridge one can be trained to effectively control is the way of enlightenment.

YMMV
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat May 17, 2014 2:59 pm

#1,5, & 7.

Hole size is important, but mostly to the military. The bigger the hole, the more you bleed. But bleeding takes time; in SD it isn't of as much importance. Most important is whether your attacker is resolved, and whether your hit incapacitates him. So with a knife-wielder, eg., blowing his femur - or pelvic circle - can be more important than a heart/lung shot, or any abdominal one. Computer failure, of course, ends the "debate".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:36 pm