The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Question for you whiskey experts

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Question for you whiskey experts Empty Question for you whiskey experts

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Over the holidays, I took the father in law of a friend out shooting. He was a fine older gentleman from Northern Ireland visiting his kids here in TN. He loves to shoot, but can own no guns at home. I brought revolvers, lever action rifles, and a ton of ammo to give him the full American shooting experience. He shot well and enjoyed himself very much.

Before leaving to go back home, he dropped off a bottle of Rye for me. Russell's Reserve Rye. That was a very fine thank you gesture.

I've never had Rye before. My question is, how does one drink Rye? I usually drink bourbon with just ice, although I'll drink it straight if it's a really nice bottle.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Question for you whiskey experts Empty Re: Question for you whiskey experts

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Jed.
    I love Rye. You can have it the same way you drink the Bourbon.
    I drink my stuff neat. I suggest that you start drinking it neat so that you can truly taste the difference between Bourbon and Rye. Rye is a bit dryer and in my palate crisper. I like it. It is a nice change. I pretty much always keep a Bourbon and a Rye around and switch off depending on my mood.
    As to it being Russell's. This is an excellent aged Rye, 6 years me think. It has a $20 higher price in flavor than it actually costs. My opinion is to try it neat first so that you are able to really get what Rye is about. This is a great one to cut your teeth on.
    Let me know how you enjoy it.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Outstanding advice Doc, thanks.

After an evening of Russell's in the neat manner, I'm now a fan of both Russell's, and drinking all my whiskey neat in the future.

Now see, THAT'S why I'm a regular here and of the podcast. Good advice all around for guns, ammo, reloading, and whiskey.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:17 am

Had to find this thread again. 

I have been dabbling in a little rye and bourbon. I have tried Knob Creek (I think that's the name) bourbon, and Mitchers. I like the latter. But then a friend suggested George Dickel rye. It has ben very smooth, indeed. Tonight, stuck in Terra Haute, I visited a liquor store which advertised itself as a bourbon place. They had Mitchers - in several versions. No George Dickel, though. But I ended up buying a small bottle of Maker's Mark. I have heard a great deal about this, but never tried it. Good, but I am not sure it's better than Mitchers, and not as smooth as Dickel.

?Any other suggestions. Some one somewhere mentioned a bourbon with a hyphenated name, but I can't remember the name.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Not long ago I discovered a bourbon I like quite a bit from Virginia, "Bowman Brothers Bourbon". Not overly expensive (less than Knob Creek) and very smooth. I have a friend who deems himself a whisky connoisseur, who believes it's equally as good as others he spends hundreds on. Virginia bourbon is considered heresy around these parts, but I do like it quite a bit.

For regular common place whisky drinking, I find George Dickel bourbon difficult to beat, especially at its price. It's distilled only about 50 miles from where I live, in friendly Tullahoma, Tennessee, which only adds to my enjoyment.

You can't go wrong with anything from the Jack Daniels distillery. If you're feeling like trying something better than average, their Gentleman Jack is very good, and their single barrel Jack is outstanding.

Of course, there's also Woodford Reserve, a good standby for when you want to show someone that you know a little more than the average bear about whisky.

Another whisky that's getting a lot of attention from the connoisseurs around here is Four Roses Single Barrel. I've tried it and personally don't get it, but I know some people who love it.

I'm sure you probably already know this, but just in case, the "single barrel" notation means that the whisky was distilled and bottled from the same barrel. It wasn't mixed with other barrels as other, less expensive whisky's. For some, that makes a huge difference For me, I personally don't care. I'm more focused on how the whisky tastes than how it was made, and I've had some single barrel whisky that should've been used to remove paint, instead of being sold as drinkable.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Thank you for those pointers, TJ. Virginia "bourbon". I thought for something to be "bourbon" it HAD to be from KY. It's why Tennessee makes Tennessee Whiskey. But I can't say I'm that big a student of the differences. Like you, I try it and see if I like it.

Rye, obviously, has to have significant rye seed in its making. ?Does that mean it always has a bit of a peppery taste.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm not sure Dev. Although after polishing off that bottle of Russell's I mentioned in the thread previously, I am anxious to try some more Rye.

It's funny. Around here, most people think Rye is nasty. I was looking at a bottle once at a store that was very bourbon focused (in this area, bourbon is KING at most of your better liquor stores), and the clerk actually talked me out of it. Having tried it for myself, I am a convert now and am anxious to try some other brands.

Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Dev, your questions inspired me to try a new bourbon. I bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve bourbon. Same distillery as the rye I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Although I often drink bourbon on the rocks, I decided to follow Doc's lead and take it neat.

And boy, I was glad I did. I liked it VERY much, perhaps a bit too much. Was very smooth and a bit more flavor to it than other bourbons I've tried. Drinking it on the rocks would've minimized he experience.

I recommend it highly, but for all that is good and holy, just drink it straight. No water, ice, or anything else.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:38 am

Well, I generally drink this stuff neat. It's kind of a left-over thing from my "youf" when I drank a moderate amount of after dinner stuff, which is always neat (I think).

Onto another bourbon - Basil Hayden. I am told it, too, is quite smooth.

So many things to try, so little time.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm a Black Velvet guy...love the Canadian whiskey but was always curious about "rye"....
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Canadian is a type of whiskey I've not really tried. Is Black Velvet your recommended brand? How do you drink it?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:06 pm

As I said earlier, I am really new to all this stuff. But I really like George Dickel Rye. It is very smooth, with a bit of peppery taste.

You know what's really unfortunate - you can't buy small bottles of stuff to try. I would love to try several brands in smaller quantities. I found Maker's Mark in Terra Haute in a small bottle and bought that. It's pretty good, though I am not sure I would hold it is such esteem as some guys seem to. But it clearly isn't rotgut.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Dev, what you need is a whiskey club. Each member of the club brings a different bottle to the monthly club gathering, so everyone can taste several different types, without having to invest more than just to cost of one bottle.

However, one must exercise care at whiskey clubs, in particular, how exactly one will go home afterwards.

Around here, we like to bring the significant others with the understanding that daddy's gonna need momma to drive home.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Hey! I like that idea! Now I need to find enough guys who are willing to join in this kind of venture. Around here most of the guys are beer or wine drinkers.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:34 pm

What we REALLY need is the first official meeting of the Gun Nation Whiskey Tasters Club. I'll bet we could talk a few people here into that notion. Maybe at the next NRA convention.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 pm

?Where's the next NRA convention - and when.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:16 am

I believe it's in Louisville in the spring.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:28 am

I'll have to look it up in the next Rifleman. Might be something interesting. There aren't that many hotels in Louisville, are there.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 am

I don't know, it's a pretty big town, so I'd expect something to be available.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 am

Got a bottle of Woodford Reserve boubon. Quite good, although I believe I like the Michter's better a bit. I also bought a bottle of Templeton rye. It's made in Iowa. Also very good. Quite good flavour and only a touch of bite.

I believe I'm getting a bottle of Basil Hayden for Christmas, as I mentioned it and was told I couldn't buy it.

We keep these reports up and this thread may get as long as the AR one.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Basil Hayden's. Very nice. Smooth, touch of bite, nice after taste.

Hashuku 12 yr Japanese whiskey. Very expensive. Interesting taste. Initial impression is that it's harsh, but on second try seems much better. Some cooling seems to make it smoother. Gift from my son.

Blantin's. $70 Very nice aroma, fine taste, dececnt aftertaste but not too long. (Bought this last night.)
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:01 pm

A way around ice. Christmas gift from my daughter.

Sipping Stones. They are cubes of soapstone, 9 in a package with a little bag to put them in. You put them in the freezer. When you want to cool a drink, you put 2-3 in your glass and pour the drink over them or drop them in after pouring, then swish the drink about a bit. When you're done, just wash and dry and put back into the freezer. No dilution, just cold.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 am