The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question?

AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question? Empty WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question?

Post by AChristianMarksman Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:53 am

I know of the danger of WD-40 on ammo, is there any other reason that WD-40 should not be used on cleaning firearms? farao 
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question? Empty WD40

Post by Doc Wesson Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Good question.....
    I have used 40 on internal parts before. I tend to keep it out of the bbl and breach. It has a "penetrator" which is a solvent and if I am not mistaken some type of detergent (may be wrong on the detergent). But that is not good for primer. I have heard that it will penetrate the seal and screw it up.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question? Empty Re: WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question?

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:48 pm

I am no expert on the subject, but I have had the displeasure of helping clean out a couple of S&W revolvers that had years worth of some kind of oil gumming up the cylinder axle. Both owners were big fans of WD 40 and used it liberally. I always assumed it was the WD 40 that eventually solidified. I could be wrong. Regardless, I don't use WD 40 anymore.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question? Empty Re: WD-40 To use or not to use, that is the question?

Post by Devereaux Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

?Why would you want to use WD40. It's a solvent, something which you would have difficulty controlling where it goes, and so how you get it OUT. I would submit there are plenty of gun cleaners out there to choose, which would have far less possibility of being a PITA.

?Being an old guy, just what is wrong with Hoppes. Cleaned guns for decades and they seemed to do fine.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 am

Dev is right in my book...
    It is also like some other specialty lubricants and such... why? When you can just use what has been used over the ages, which is inexpensive and works...
    AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by AChristianMarksman Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Why do I ask the question and want to use it?  Great Questions, it is because I have lot's of it in my shed and I am out of Hoppes.  

It has done a great job for me in the past with zero problems,  but with all the Animosity towards its use I wanted to know what the big deal was.

Devereaux, I hate to say it but what is PITA???
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:47 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHH!!! PAIN IN THE ASS
    AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by AChristianMarksman Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Wow, a am really slow some times with this LLO, BFF, PITA stuff.......
    Thank you Doc!!! Embarassed 
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm

no problem... only reason I know is a guy I used to work with always called me Pita... I asked why he called me that... he then said "D.A." I realized then...
    AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by AChristianMarksman Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Doc Wesson wrote:no problem... only reason I know is a guy I used to work with always called me Pita... I asked why he called me that... he  then said "D.A."   I realized then...

I got that one fast enough!!! Thanks Doc...
    LHUSBY
    LHUSBY
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by LHUSBY Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Well. I know it's not supposed to go in the barrel. But I had a lacquered case stuck to my Mosin after shooting and used a bit and was able to remove it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 am

LHUSBY wrote:Well. I know it's not supposed to go in the barrel. But I had a lacquered case stuck to my Mosin after shooting and used a bit and was able to remove it.

Yeah, well that was a Mosin, which you can pretty much do whatever you want - ain't gonna hurt it. Kind of the dump truck of rifles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:36 pm