The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Colt SAA or S&W M&P?

Poll

Which handgun for defensive purposes (against any and all threats)?

[ 3 ]
    Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Bar_left60%Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Bar_right [60%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Bar_left40%Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Bar_right [40%] 

Total Votes: 5
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Empty Colt SAA or S&W M&P?

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 am

So, in the Glock vs 1911 poll, Dev and I joked about this poll.  Yes, I realize it's a bit out there, but I think it raises at least some potentially interesting issues.

To kick it off, I'm voting SAA, and here's why.  As an average non-operator civilian guy, I think that in almost whatever scenario I could reasonably anticipate, I am going to be behind the curve, no matter what I do and no matter what color condition I might try to maintain in life.  The threat (human, animal, whatever) will have picked me out for whatever reason long before I realize it.  

And by the time I realize my life is in peril, the attack will already be underway.

Under those circumstances, I believe I'm going to run out of time long before I would ever run out of ammo.  That means the first shot out of the holster needs to be really really fast, as accurate as I can make it (probably fired without getting the gun up to eye level) and with a cartridge that will do a ton of damage to the threat.

And I believe that, with practice, the Colt SAA is a strong contender for the biggest and fastest reasonably placed first shot, without aiming, out of the holster.

Okay, now that I have committed modern tactical heresy, discuss....
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Empty Re: Colt SAA or S&W M&P?

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm reminded of a story about a Texas GOB, a Victim of Society (Local #036), and a gas station.

The VoS goes to the gas station intending to informally collect some taxes. He proceeds to wave his gat around with great abandon. The GOB, taking umbridge at the repeated violations of Cooper's 4 Rules, pulls his single action cap and ball black powder pistol. Two close, quick shots not only stop the attack, but set the VoS on fire. Extreme style points.

This tale was told after a SASS match, by a cowboy shooter, so the veracity is somewhat in question. However, I think I recall a roughly similar incident in the news.

As much as I like my SA Ruger Vaquero Bisleys, I consider a modern self loader to be superior in almost every aspect if carried CCW. That's the way I'm going to bet.

So, there!

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm going with the Colt.

Not because I believe it's tactically better.

Not because it has more rounds.

Not because of the awesomeness of a .45 Colt round loaded to its full potential (the most powerful handgun cartridge there was until the advent of the .357 Mag).

But because --- it's so darn kool!

I mean, picture having some VoS coming to do you dirt, and you produce one of those big, half-inch barrel opening, multiple bullets showing in the chambers, monster. Even better if it's nickle plated. With ivory grips.

I have a friend who is a retired CPD, worked narc for a long time. He's also a Marine, so he always wore a high 'n tight haircut. Ugly looking dude. He had his "target pistol" which he took with him when he was going to some meet that he thought might be dangerous. It was a side-by-side of about 8-12" TOTAL length, with a pistol grip, and chrome plated. He NEVER had an issue when it became just visible under his coat. That's intimidation.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:35 pm

LOL. I've spent so much of my life so far from cool, that I'm positively warm. However: the Ruger Montado Shopkeeper

Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Rugervaquerobirdshead

is *so*damn*cool*, that it just might address the situation.  Cool
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

And there is this story from 2009, where open carry single action revolver shooter in Richmond, Virginia saved the day in a convenience store robbery:

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/gun-owner-saves-lives-in-the-richmond-va-golden-market-shooting/#axzz2vxku7wvk

Best part is when the revolver shooter clubbed the bad guy twice in the temple with his 7.5 inch barrel.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:And there is this story from 2009, where open carry single action revolver shooter in Richmond, Virginia saved the day in a convenience store robbery:

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/gun-owner-saves-lives-in-the-richmond-va-golden-market-shooting/#axzz2vxku7wvk

Best part is when the revolver shooter clubbed the bad guy twice in the temple with his 7.5 inch barrel.

A good man with a gun. All it takes.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Devereaux wrote:Even better if it's nickle plated. With ivory grips.

I have always liked the idea of a bad guy seeing his face on the front of a well-polished revolver cylinder, with large holes containing large bullets interrupting the mirror image.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm

So, I finally signed up for the image hosting account, and now I can finally post a picture of my "Dance you varmint!"  carry combination.  Ruger Blackhawk 45 ACP/45 Colt convertible, with a Lobo IWB holster.  The 1911 mag is a half hearted attempt to figure out how to reload a tiny bit more efficiently.

I only carry this on special occasions anymore, but certainly don't feel vulnerable when I do so.

Colt SAA or S&W M&P? Flatto12

Last edited by Tennessee Jed on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Picture was stupidly huge)
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 am

Nice, TJ. ?What are the grips made of.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am

Those are just white plastic that came with the Blackhawk. I have since replaced those with Zebrawood stocks. Plastic didn't seem right for this gun.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:29 am

Grips can make so much difference in the looks - and feel - of a weapon. Some weapons simply don't have the stones to carry special grips. But others are greatly enhanced.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Dev, TJ, and all the rest of you SA fanners:  

Colt SAA or S&W M&P? LipseysRugerSB_3-75_44Mag_F

Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.

Man that's cool.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

You guys make me want to spend all my money on shiny metal...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:26 pm