The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR Empty AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Big Magpul Fanboy. However, their MOE AR stocks do not have a QD sling point. Bummer. So I Barbied-Up and found the Magpul SGA Stock Type 1 Sling Mount Gun Swivel Kit. $15 from Amazon. Half the price of other alternaives.

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR 51hJ7ydpFNL

Get it next week. I'll report how well it works.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR Empty Re: AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 pm

JP ENTERPRISES - AR-15 REDUCED POWER SPRING KIT

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR L_452000007_1

Brownells

This looks to be one of those 80/20 enhancements, where 80% of the result come with only 20% of the cost -- or too good to be true. I've heard several gunsmiths and podders talk about the trigger improvement that result from putting a lightened set of springs into the AR. For less than 11 bucks, this seems like a natural first step. I think I'll try it in the S&W 15-22 and maybe temporarily the 6.8 until an aftermarket trigger can be budgeted.  

Thoughts or suggestions?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR Empty Re: AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 am

Yeah. Get a Geissele and stop monkeying with it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:23 am

BTW, ?Just what is it you pictured at the beginning of this thread. I am lost.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Devereaux wrote:BTW, ?Just what is it you pictured at the beginning of this thread. I am lost.

It's the female component of a Quick Detach fitting: pic from Amazon. Here's a better one from Brownells, probably 3 times actual size:

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR L_100012

A Geissele is the desired end-state for the 6.8. Not in the budget just now. And the S&W 15-22 will not be getting a Geissele. However, a reduction in the rifle's trigger pull would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33 pm

You know there's a (somewhat) cheaper Geisselle that works just like its more expensive brother. Guess for a .22 it might not be worth putting in half of what it cost for the rifle.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:58 pm

That thing looks big, but maybe it's the mag of the pic. ?It goes on the stock. I put my QR on the center plate at the back of the frame rather than the stock. If I use the 2-point, there is another spot on the front grip.

I have one of the plates with the swinging loops which I am not using, if you want it. I didn't like it, but it might be work for you.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks Dev, but I've already got an extra Magpul ASAP (one of the few pieces of Magpul kit that I'm not completely happy about.)

I'd like a QD attachment point on the back of the stock so I could comfortably carry the rifle on my back or use it as a Hasty Sling for steadying my shooting.

Plus -- I needed to add another ten bucks to my Amazon order to get free shipping.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm

If you hook a QD on that plate on the back of the frame, plus another on the handgrip, you can carry it on your back, hasty sling it, or whatever. Works for me. I have both of mine set up that way.

Interesting sidelight. I have a Sig upper, where each hole in the handguard can accept a QD. But on the YHM upper, the holes will not accept the QD and I had to get an attachment to put on the guard for the forward location. So not all handguards are equal.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 pm

FWIW, there seem to be sales at both Midway and Brownell's on AR stuff. One of the items I noted was the Aimpoint T1 2MOA sight. It's the small jobbie that Nat liked so much (too bad he hasn't made it here).
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Devereaux wrote:FWIW, there seem to be sales at both Midway and Brownell's on AR stuff. One of the items I noted was the Aimpoint T1 2MOA sight. It's the small jobbie that Nat liked so much (too bad he hasn't made it here).

That is a superb sight.

The Lucid HD7 Red Dot Sight is getting a lot of good noise in the Three-Gun community. And its $170 sticker doesn't send my inner Scotsman quite as far 'round the bend.

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR 61NcR1pAfUL._SL1500_

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDLJX4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2CUZQNL0YRF4S&coliid=I1R1YRDTFIBU9T
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Big Magpul Fanboy. However, their MOE AR stocks do not have a QD sling point. Bummer. So I Barbied-Up and found the Magpul SGA Stock Type 1 Sling Mount Gun Swivel Kit. $15 from Amazon. Half the price of other alternaives.

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR 51hJ7ydpFNL

Get it next week. I'll review how well it works.

It's on the 6.8 AR. Like it? Definitely maybe.

Magpul MOE stocks do not come with a QD attach fitting; that is the real shame. So if you want one, you have to buy aftermarket. I tried the Magpul Type 1, and although it works, it is not the elegant solution usually associated with Magpul.

I installed the fitting at the lower butt end of the stock. This seems to be the likely position; however the instructions neither confirm nor deny. The QD fitting alone is 5/8" in height, and with the QD swivel attached the stack is more than an 1 1/8" tall. That will put quite a divot in your pec, so I moved it to the offside. There, it looks a little goofy, but it works well with the gun slung over the back, slung up, or mounted as a hasty sling.

There are other options, chief being the Mount-N-Slot Sling Attachment shown here:

AR15 Barbies For Adults - Accessorizing Your AR P_100008453_6

This looks to be a bit more elegant, but more weight, and double the cost. I don't expect the stack height to be nearly as high, but it might still intrude into the shooter's shoulder. I think it would also require an offside mounting.

Between the two choices, I think still I'd go with the Magpul Type 1. However, by far the best solution would be to have a QD attachment point incorporated into the stock, like the Magpul CTR or ACS buttstocks.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:17 am

I am still unclear why you feel you must have a stock anchor point. One thing the AR platform seems to do is allow you a plethora of points to anchor a sling. The MagPul sling that you have seems to work great as a single point sling attached to the back of the frame. When you need something bigger, you can attach a front point with that part, and you not only have a hasty sling, but a way to carry the rifle slung.

I long ago (like in the jungle) learned to carry rifles muzzle down. It allowed quicker deployment, kept things from dropping NTO the barrel, and overall has been a far more comfortable and easier way to manage a rifle, especially if you are trundling through brush. No barrel sticking up has been wonderful, and managing the barrel with your hand down likewise. Anchoring one end to the back end allows you to carry that way, or even across your back so you can just swing it up from your side.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 am

Looked at that scope you referenced. It seems to have reflection issues. There is a gizmo they sell to help alleviate it, but it, too, seems to have issues.

Sometimes even a Scotsman has to dig into his purse to get something of quality. These are fighting guns you are building, not sissy competition guns. They need something more robust me thinks.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Well! Just got news from Wilson Combat that the 300 Blk barrell that I ordered from them last year is finally available! So they asked if I still wanted it, and I said yes, so they are shipping it. I should get it some time next week.

Meanwhile there is a sale of ammo at Midway, but it didn't seem that good a deal. 200 rounds of Hornady 206 gr for $286. I passed. I am not sure I want the subsonic stuff anyway as I can't have a can here in IL, so I might as well get the faster stull.

Guess it might be time to recheck that video on making your own cases.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm