The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

AR15 Cleaning and Maintainence

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

AR15 Cleaning and Maintainence  Empty AR15 Cleaning and Maintainence

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:42 am

AR-15 Cleaning and Maintenance - NSSF Shooting Sportscast

Good 30 minute primer.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

AR15 Cleaning and Maintainence  Empty Re: AR15 Cleaning and Maintainence

Post by Devereaux Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 am

Neat little tool for those who shoot AR's a lot.

It's called the B.O.N.E. I believe I got mine at Brownell's. It is useful for taking carbon off the bolt and BCG. Check it out. About $25.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:47 pm

This looks like Marine Corps logic, which is cover everything with oil. I would take exception to some of that. I can accept a touch of oil on stuff like the extractor swivel pin, or even the inside of the extractor (?apply with a q-tip), but the firing pin doesn't need any oil and will only get gunky. There is enough crud floating around in a DI gun to keep sticky things to a minimum.

That said, the BCG should ride on LOTS of oil - but only those points that actually are surface contact with the upper. MOST of the BCG is not - and so will ALSO just gather crud. Especially if you don't clean your weapon constantly - and I have fallen into that group. Just see they are well oiled. Occasionally run a bore snake through them. Clean maybe once a year thoroughly. I have chrome lined barrels, so I can get away with that easily. I suspect SS may be a bit more of a pain.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Shot a grizzled Army MSGT's AR-15 A2. I'd almost swear he had dumped a quart of 40W into the rifle. "Learned that in Nam." I'm assuming the Sandbox would teach a completely different lesson.  

I'm in intrinsic agreement with most of the lube guidelines for here in SoCal. However, a drop in all those interface points like the trigger guard seems excessive, unless it is a very, very small drop. The light areas get a "film barely visible to the eye" ie: a wipe with an oily rag. More in humid areas, less in deserts, and one whole hell of a lot more for a salt-water beach.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Oh, the stuff in Nam was trash to begin with, so you used a LOT of LSA. Remember also that Nam was VERY humid AND we had some seriously corrosive ammo as they used a calcium product to help preserve the powder, but it corroded the barrels something fierce, especially since we didn't have chrome-lined barrels.

Indeed, I was rather non-pulsed not to be able to find any LSA in the civilian world as I had the impression then that it was THE BEST LUBE IN THE WORLD. Turns out not so much, but still good stuff.

I keep wandering back and forth between oil and grease. I find the grease seems to hold lube better. Brian Enos sells some really interesting grease called Slide Glide. It comes in a couple thicknesses, for different conditions. Being a sucker for new stuff, I have a bottle of each one. I have a friend who carries a Kahr and he swears by the stuff, which I introduced him to.

Just something to think about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:33 am