The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts?

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts? Empty Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts?

Post by Cornmastah Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:42 am

Been thinking about this idea of having a "beater gun" or a "trunk gun" in a bolt action configuration. With Ruger, Remington, Mossberg, & Savage all making economy guns that actually shoot well, a bolt-action rifle with a box mag seems like it would have quite a bit of utility.

What are your thoughts? Do inexpensive AR-15's negate the utility of a bolt gun in the "trunk gun" role?
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts? Empty Re: Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts?

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:59 pm

I think it all depends on what role your trunk gun is serving.

I have a lot of farmer relatives who raise sheep in the winter. For them, a trunk gun is a "coyote gun." Whenever they see a coyote in the distance, they stop everything and shoot it. In that role, nothing less than a scoped bolt action 6mm or 243 will suffice.

For me, the role of trunk gun is to get me out of a worst case scenario. Traffic is blocked and the raging hordes are approaching. Something along those lines (which has happened to me once before). So for me, a trunk gun is intended to be something with better range and more power (and maybe higher capacity, but I'm not stuck on capacity) than whatever pistol I'm carrying that day.

So, for me, the inexpensive AR has become my trunk gun. Before that I used a handy 357 magnum lever carbine, and before that a Romanian AK that shot very well for its $350 price.

However, I'm still not completely sold on a rifle for a trunk gun. I still have a hard time picturing a defensive shot more than 25 yards away, so I still wrestle with whether a solid pump action 12 gauge might be a better solution for me.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:10 pm

For me, a trunk gun is an inexpensive pistol carbine, like the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm Glock. With the Glock 33 round Happy Sticks, I'd be able to share mags and ammunition with my CCW weapon. With the carbine's extended effective range and ammo capacity, I'd (hopefully) be able to dissuade a mob or simply bunker down to wait things out. A .357 lever and handgun would also serve the same mission. If only I was able to get a Kel-Tec...

Then again, Doc carries a Mosin Nagant Model 38 carbine in HIS trunk. He's obviously counting on the atomic fireball to convince an unruly mob to go elsewhere. Wink
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote: Then again, Doc carries a Mosin Nagant Model 38 carbine in HIS trunk. He's obviously counting on the atomic fireball to convince an unruly mob to go elsewhere. Wink

Reminds me of a story I once read about Darryl Bolke. He had a 45 Colt revolver, single action if I recall correctly, that he kept in a closet by the front door of his home. He kept it loaded with 45 Colt 250 grain bullets, with enough black powder to get 1000 fps. The goal was to create a disruption to make the bad want to go away.

He said he wanted to try out the ammo, so he went to an indoor range. Touched off one round and then it seemed like the world ended. Massive cloud of smoke and massive muzzle blast. He said something like that's what he thought it would be like to see lightning in a tornado. Said the firing range called cease fire, thinking an explosion had gone off. Ha ha ha, I love that.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Lol, awesome!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:

Reminds me of a story I once read about Darryl Bolke.  He had a 45 Colt revolver, single action if I recall correctly, that he kept in a closet by the front door of his home.  He kept it loaded with 45 Colt 250 grain bullets, with enough black powder to get 1000 fps.  The goal was to create a disruption to make the bad want to go away.

He said he wanted to try out the ammo, so he went to an indoor range.  Touched off one round and then it seemed like the world ended.  Massive cloud of smoke and massive muzzle blast.  He said something like that's what he thought it would be like to see lightning in a tornado.  Said the firing range called cease fire, thinking an explosion had gone off.  Ha ha ha, I love that.

And THAT reminds me of a story about one of our cowboy shooters. The pard kept a Ruger 45 Colt Birdshead Shopkeeper tucked into the front of his pants. His load was a "full case of black powder." Shocked

One night, a victim of society pushed past him and stuck a gun in the female gas station attendant's face. That was a mite bit much for the ol' cowpoke. He drew and ordered the perp to drop it. Not being especially quick on the uptake, sumdood turned with his pistol. The shot stopped the assault, blinded and deafened everyone in the Stop 'n' Rob, and... set the crim on fire.  

Extreme style points.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:49 pm

I love stories like that.

By golly, this weekend instead of shooting Glocks and an AR at the range, I'm shooting a Ruger Blackhawk and Coach Gun.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Bolt action trunk gun... thoughts? RugerBearcatShopkeeper4

As I imagine the 'poke's gun.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm

I remember that gun. Ruger's "Last Cowboy", one the last of the older model Vaquero birds heads. It had that larger frame so you could shoot "Ruger Only" loads. That's very cool.

There's a lot of talk these days about being able to make defensive head shots at 25+ yards, in the event of a jihadi-with-bomb-vest or body armor. That's not exactly my primary defensive concern; however, I can't help but think that if I had to make that kind of shot with a handgun, the one I'd want in my hand is my Blackhawk.

Dang, just when I've got myself feeling comfortable with carrying a Glock, now I've started thinking about wheelguns . . . again.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:59 pm

And I've started to think about longer slides and sight pictures.

Or holographic sights for my ol' eyes.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 pm

I have one of those bird's head six-guns. Kind of fun, but not a serious shooter except at close range.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Don't have a "trunk gun" - my car doesn't have much of a trunk and certainly no where to hide one and have it "locked".

Despite that, my sense is that an AR is the appropriate trunk gun for the simple reason that it's a military weapon, so make to be abused. Throw it in the trunk.

BUT if you're serious about TJ's approach, have 6-10 loaded mags with it so you can put up a sustained base of fire in the riot. It might take significant rounds to finally dissuade the miscreants.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 am

Devereaux wrote:Despite that, my sense is that an AR is the appropriate trunk gun for the simple reason that it's a military weapon, so make to be abused. Throw it in the trunk.

BUT if you're serious about TJ's approach, have 6-10 loaded mags with it so you can put up a sustained base of fire in the riot. It might take significant rounds to finally dissuade the miscreants.

I'll bet your 300 BLK pistol would be one hell of a trunk gun. Even in you new 'Vette.

I had a friend who was trapped in downtown LA for 12 hours during the Rodney King riots. 6-10 loaded mags sounds about right. After the gun, extra mags are little more.

Crazy times. Getting crazier.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 am

I've been thinking about this a little more. It may make sense to build another ar-15 while the parts are so dang cheap. Or, pick up an inexpensive "Hillary fear" purchase of someone else who is dumping ar-15's for less than they bought them. If I have a "beater" ar15, I wouldn't feel as bad leaving it in the trunk of my car while I am at work, etc... I'm thinking the AR15 is probably the best trunk/truck gun at this time.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am

Cornmastah wrote:I've been thinking about this a little more.  It may make sense to build another ar-15 while the parts are so dang cheap.  Or, pick up an inexpensive "Hillary fear" purchase of someone else who is dumping ar-15's for less than they bought them.  If I have a "beater" ar15, I wouldn't feel as bad leaving it in the trunk of my car while I am at work, etc...  I'm thinking the AR15 is probably the best trunk/truck gun at this time.  

I suppose a 14.6" barrel with a 1.5" pinned flash suppressor with a light hand guard.....

Still thinking about the 9mm carbine: light, compact, shares ammo with my EDC, and doesn't scream TERRORIST WACKO (as much) as the AR.

As mobile as we all are, it just makes sense to have a capable defense with us at all times.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Sorry, CF. Just not there. I just don't see a 9mm carbine as effective.

Rifles are what they are because of velocity. You just can't get that with a 9mm. If I'm already going to have a long gun, then I want it to ACT like a long gun.

Perhaps 30Blk is the right calibre for a trunk gun. Heavier bullet, decent speed - kind of a good "crowd control" gun, without the multiple penetration issues (although in a crowd that might be useful.)

?You guys looked at Palmetto State Armory. They are CONSTANTLY running specials on uppers, lowers, kits, etc. For quite reasonable money you can pick up a decent "trunk gun" - and you won't care about it.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm

That's where I've been looking. Lots of deals all the time these days.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Devereaux wrote:Sorry, CF. Just not there.  I just don't see a 9mm carbine as effective.

Rifles are what they are because of velocity. You just can't get that with a 9mm. If I'm already going to have a long gun, then I want it to ACT like a long gun.

Perhaps 30Blk is the right calibre for a trunk gun. Heavier bullet, decent speed - kind of a good "crowd control" gun, without the multiple penetration issues (although in a crowd that might be useful.)

?You guys looked at Palmetto State Armory. They are CONSTANTLY running specials on uppers, lowers, kits, etc. For quite reasonable money you can pick up a decent "trunk gun" - and you won't care about it.

Yeah, a 300BLK pistol/ SBR IS looking interesting. With one of those new blade forearm rests instead of a stock. And... I've got all those lowers laying around...
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I just bought one of those blades, they are quite nice as a "brace" on a pistol. I threw one on my ugly gun 9mm mac clone and put an eotech on it. Ha ha, I turned ugly into quite functional. I need to test it out on a duel on the dueling tree sometime.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I know we've beaten this to the death, but... I'm now thinking about a 10" 9mm AR-15 pistol with a blade brace for a car carry for the following reasons. Tell me where I'm wrong.

1) Ammo commonality with my EDC 9mm pistol
    2) Mag commonality with my EDC Glock pistol (Can use the Glock 33 round Happy Sticks in both firearms.
    3) I see the trunk gun as an emergency get-home, defensive gun. I hope to be running rather than gunning. Offensive long-range rifle capabilities not (absolutely) needed. (I'll admit to feeling shaky on this assumption.)
    4. The Pistol/ Carbine platform has advantages as to accuracy and power of the longer barrel.
    5. Cost advantages of the 9mm. (The Scot blood is making itself heard.)
    6. With a folding stock allowed by the 9mm blowback action, the pistol will be a compact package.
    7. I've got all those AR-15 lowers just laying around
    8. I. Really. Don't. Need. Yet. Another. Caliber. (300BLK.) Yet.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 pm

You will get no argument from me against a pistol caliber carbine.  Whether or not they are a great self defense firearm, that may remain debatable--but they are so dang fun to shoot.  Besides, if you put the 9mm in the right place, I'm sure it will be effective enough.  Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, if you enjoy shooting it as much as I enjoy shooting mine, you will get quite proficient with it--and that will help you if you ever need to use it in a self defense moment.

but.... one of these days you are going to get talked into a 300 blk--and you will like it ha ha.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm

OK. Let me argue against pistol calibre carbines.

Commonality with EDC pistol is of no issue. IF you have to deploy a trunk gun, you are in a whole pot of hurt, and your EDC will not be a factor. The effect of the rifle, just from an intimidation POV, stands by itself. An SBR, if it actually LOOKS like a rifle, will intimidate. A pistol-length AR - not so much. It just looks strange.

Cost of 5.56 these days is not all that big a deal. There is a TON of it about, for very reasonable costs. You can go the Corn route and cast bullets to decrease some of the costs.

I have no complaint with a folding stock, but mostly they are a PITA. Their original use was to have a handier rifle to parachute out of a plane with; once on the ground EVERY para unfolded the stock and left it that way. Space can be somewhat conserved with the adjustable stock version.

You may well be called upon to shoot a guy 50-100 yds away. We're talking riot conditions here, and taking out the primary agitator can save your life.

Magazines can be put into the cloth bandoleers that ammo comes in. That allows you to sling it over your shoulder if you have to move. We moved all over the jungle like that and had no issues (but we had shorter mags)

One last thought. IF you have a trunk guy, you seriously ought to consider having a vest also in the trunk. Serious vest, capable of stopping .308 (so with plates), not the more common flexible body armor cops wear. Those stop pistol bullets but not rifle. AND it's easier to put on a plate vest from a trunk.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Once again, Dev and Corn, you've given me a lot to think about. Just as I hoped.

Vests.... hmmmm.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Cornmastah wrote:
    but.... one of these days you are going to get talked into a 300 blk--and you will like it ha ha.

Probably.

Gawd, I'm such a caliber slut.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 am

I wore a regular under-the-scrubs vest like cops have for a year that I worked in Des Moines. There were some muslims there who had threatened to kill ED docs because one of their wives was a psycho and kept coming in complaining of abdominal pain. Since I am not allowed to carry in Iowa (at least at that time), I figured a vest was next best thing.

BUT ... in my basement is a SERIOUS vest, plates, stops a .308. I got it from Palmetto Armory a number of years ago on sale. It is heavy, but it's easy to get on and does the job. It sits in the basement in the box it came shipped in. I took it out to try it on, then put it back. HOPEFULLY I will never have to use it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:06 am