The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

New AR Build

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

New AR Build Empty New AR Build

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Been thinking of building my wife an AR. She comes shoots with me now and then but doesn't like it that much. She has a friend who is more into shooting, so sometimes we go as two couples, then have dinner somewhere.

So I thought it might be kool to build an AR for my wife. Maybe pink would be nice. Trouble is, I don't know where to get the RIGHT furniture. I can certainly build the guts well. Wilson still seems to make the hot stick barrels. ?But can you get the lower in pink, or do you have to use a black one and add front and back in pink.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

New AR Build Empty Re: New AR Build

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Magpul.

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-carbine-stock-mil-spec

You could also get it dipped in a Muddy Girl pink and purple. However, that would add something like $350 to the build. I'm sure you've seen the pink AR I built for the Princess.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Can't remember it, truth be told. I think Corn built one for his daughter.

Looked at your site. I like the MagPul pink stock. Can't find the rest easily, BUT I found an 80% lower, full upper, BCG, CH, etc for $500. Not sure just what has to be "machined" on the lower. The stock and hand grip, however, were black. Easy to change out but more money. Found a Hogue free float forearm in pink.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm

New AR Build I-WsKD3q5-M

It's based on a S&W M&P 15 Sport. All the pink stuff except the magazine is Magpul.  The mag is anodized aluminum from the Age of Nam. Getting the paint to stick to that bugger was the hardest part of the build.  

I think it came out pretty good.  The Princess likes it.

Using Magpul furniture allows it to be reconverted to black fairly quickly.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Pink AR's are great! I just recently bought an AERO M4E1 matched upper/lower/handguard kit that was ceracoated "spent brass" or something like that. Looks pretty cool.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:56 am

I helped out at a "Women on Target" day at our range. (Taking out the trash, lugging ammo, killing spiders.... the usual.) When the instructoress pulled out her pink AR, the girlies all went nuts. Sparkly colored would have been better, but not by much.

Hey, whatevah it takes...
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:16 am

Just got tipped to the coolest thing on Amazon - Four 30 Cal sized plastic ammo "cans" and a carrier - for 25 bones.  Four ammo cans alone could run you more than that. I'm ordering one. Good for the range and Go Supplies.  

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-AC4C-Ammo-Crate-4-Can/dp/B01MU6ZAPG//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=akarshoot-20&linkId=a93d135c2950687f4a81146ebe28449d#customerReviews

New AR Build 81vrPqGZNAL._SL1500_

I get it Tuesday -- I'll let yah know how exactly how I like it.

[EDIT: Oooooh - the also have one for 50 Cal sized cans!]
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 04, 2018 1:16 pm

I have a couple cans that have foam inside to hold AR mags. When I go to the range I preload some mags and take the can. I believe each can holds 15 mags. That's 450 rounds. Takes a bit to blow that up.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri May 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Got it - Like it - A lot!

Methinks it a pretty good solution for rounds you shoot a lot of: ie: my 38 Spl Cowboy loads, 9mm and bulk .223. Right from the press or shipping container into the ammo cans. Plus, it fits in that annoying little space between the safe and the cabinet above.

Dev - you ever use stripper clips? (Down, Corn! Not what you think!)  What did you think? (About the clips?) Good way of storing nearly ready ammo? Loading mags quickly is a breeze. BTW, the old GI Mag Spoons are impossible to find anymore. I must have 20 or so ---- somewhere - everywhere - nowhere. Lula sells a pricey version for about $20.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Used stripper clips only in the military. Never liked them much. Around here I sprang for an expensive mag loader. I have since found a much cheaper version that you dump rounds into the top and push the lever and it loads a round. You push it for each round you want in the mag. When done, switch mags. The nice part is that you just dump the rounds in willy-nilly. No need to arrange them one way of the other. On mine you have to have the rounds arranged properly in the channel, but it then loads the mag in a jiffy. I really like it. But it was >$400. You can mount it on a bench. Matter-of-fact I think that’s how it is expected to be set up. I just don’t do that.

The old M-14’s had a part of the rear of the receiver set up so you can just place the stripper clip in it and push down tto load the mag IN the gun. You could then swap out mags until you had loaded all you needed. Saved you from having to carry around that key.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 am

MagLuLa BL71B. It’s in the same section, because I saw it when I went to your link. That’s a stripped down version of what I have, but it’s essentially right. Also look at the Mag Pump. I also have one of those.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:New AR Build P_100003330_1

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/magazine-speedloaders/ar-15-m16-striplula--prod26195.aspx

The StripLula works both with stripper clips and loose rounds. Interesting. Spendy.

A Primary Arms Independence Day (not the damn movie) sale on the Glorious Fourth of July put the StripLula in my hands for 25% off. I tried it out loading loose and clipped rounds into my Magpul Prison Princess:  

New AR Build I-2pJrmqs-M

The StripLula is seriously good kit. Loading is fast and easy. Unloading is still a pain, but that's why I have the other Lula AR-15 Loader/ Unloader; which truly sucks at loading, but is an absolute beast at unloading a mag. Both are highly recommended - for their individual tasks.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 pm

I consider unloading a magazine with a trigger.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Devereaux wrote:I consider unloading a magazine with a trigger.  

Not all of us live in Chicagoland, where a mag dump would hardly be noticed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 am