The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Tennessee Jed
Cornmastah
6 posters

What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) Empty What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Post by Cornmastah Wed May 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Just wondering which revolver everyone was planning on buying next--doesn't have to be soon.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) Empty Re: What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 pm

I have been eyeing the Ruger single action line. Just read a very interesting review of the Blackhawk Bisley in 44 special. Also keeping an eye out for a Ruger birds head, probably in 45 colt, but prefer stainless finish more than caliber choice.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) Empty Re: What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Post by Cornmastah Fri May 30, 2014 11:27 am

Depending on how bad you want the ruger birds head, I could give you the local shop info here in Utah. You could always buy a stainless .45acp if you want to pay shipping and a transfer fee (but avoid sales tax).
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri May 30, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks Corn. I appreciate it. Looks like a store not too far from me is supposed to get one soon.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri May 30, 2014 11:46 am

I stumbled upon a lightly used S&W model 629 yesterday for $550. I almost bought it on the spot--but didn't. I called a friend who was looking for a .44 and hopefully he picks it up. Hard to pass up on good deals. Right now I just need to wait for the gun funds to replenish.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri May 30, 2014 11:50 am

Holy Frijoles!!! That is outstanding!

I got a similar deal on a 629 many years ago. Love it to death!

I had S&W put a 4 inch barrel on it, got a Theis IWB holster, and it is a regular carry gun for me. I have a lot of fun with that revolver.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Ironically, I've been considering that question quite a bit lately.  

In the more likely future is a K frame S&W in .38 Special.  On the cheap end would be a model 10.  I had one, but gave it to my Father a couple years ago.  No regrets there.  It was worth it just to hear him reminisce about his days carrying one in the Pheonix Police Department, and I learned lots of interesting things I never would have guessed.  The Model 19 that everyone absolutely had to have (Even though they were regulated to just .38 Special ammo) was held in very low esteem by him personally due to the rear sights breaking off during scraps as a regular occurrence.  The Model 10 with a tapered barrel wasn't good either, cause just about every time you smacked somebody with your revolver, the barrel would bend. What a Face   Evidently, the Model 10 with it's fixed sights, heavy barrel, and of course the requisite department loads that had been taken apart on the sly and souped up were the way to go.  It's very interesting to imagine what that job must have been like.

I've also considered a S&W 14 or 15 K frame, again in .38 Special.  They have such an incredible reputation for accuracy, and it just so happens that I have a truck load of .38 Special brass I've accumulated throughout the years (Despite the fact that I'm most frequently hung up on the .45 caliber)

I also very much want a S&W model 27 or 28, with a 4"-6" bbl.  I just have a love affair with them big, heavy N-frames.

In the more modern category, if I get a slew of overtime, a nice tax return and an understanding spouse, or something of that nature I would very much like a S&W 325 revolver in .45 ACP, either a Nightguard or a Thunder Ranch edition.  I'm also covetous of a Performance Center 327 with the uber snubby bbl.  eight shots of .357 Magnum on an N frame, with that short bbl just sounds like a fantastic revolver for defense and daily carry.

In the fanciful category of things I enjoy thinking about, but would never do is a Fitz Special, made from a Colt New Service revolver, preferrably in .45 Colt.  Not dremel tool commandoed, but done professionally.  I would not even use it for carry- Even if I was totally comfortable living with the trigger guard modification, I would still dread explaining the revolver to our local constabulary if it were ever used for defensive purposes.  It would just make a few range trips now and then and hang out in my reloading room for showing off and fondling.  

On the slightly less fanciful side of things would be a Manurhin MR 73, just cause of their envious reputation.

In a grand twist of lifes irony, I have the honor of being employed in a remote arctic oilfield, where  women, weapons, and booze are absolutely verboten.  Consequently, I find myself with hundreds of hours to ponder my wants and "needs" in the world of weaponry, with sometimes disastrous results.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:55 pm

As far as the Smith model 327 chambered in .357 is concerned... I very much enjoy shooting mine. It has a smooth trigger which feels lighter than their basic factory models. It is kind of a cool blend of old style mixed with modern enhancements. I like how it holds 8 rounds but isn't super bulky. I have the longer barreled model though--I usually prefer longer barreled revolvers.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:39 am

I've rarely had the opportunity to paw the unobtainium N frames, except for the 329s in their various forms, they're pretty ubiquitous up here. From what I've seen of those, the longer barreled 327 does sound really, really desirable. I'll probably vacillate between one of those or a 325 for ever, without ever really getting either one. I would think the 327 would be very accurate and smooth on the recoil? Who knows, maybe one day I can become the first guy in Alaska to get one??! Smile
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:29 am

I've debated mounting an eotech or a small red dot on the top and going for 100 yard shots with it. It shoots nice and smooth, although I haven't really run many full power jacketed loads through it. I've mostly used cast bullets.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:49 am

Cornmastah wrote:I've debated mounting an eotech or a small red dot on the top and going for 100 yard shots with it.  It shoots nice and smooth, although I haven't really run many full power jacketed loads through it.  I've mostly used cast bullets.

Sounds great. Any time I run out of CCI primers, WW 231, or cast 158 grain wadcutters my little world gets just a little more unsettling.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:00 am

Unique and 158 gr semi-wadcutters are what I use mostly. They just work.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm still waffling on that Ruger birds head. Starting to see more lately online, in stainless in 45 Colt. It's getting harder and harder to just say no thank you, but a negative experience once with a Vaquero and fixed sights that were way off still make me think twice.

However, the Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special is still calling my name, louder and louder. A couple of months ago I was so certain I was going to get one, I actually bought 500 44 Special cases when I ran across them. Now I have 500 nickel plated Starline 44 Special cases that call out to me from time to time, saying they need to be played with.

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 pm

TJ, just curious, but what is the attraction to .44 special when if you buy a .44 mag you can shoot both? And if you load ammo, you can load .44 mag cases to .44 special velocities and such.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Cornmastah wrote:TJ, just curious, but what is the attraction to .44 special when if you buy a .44 mag you can shoot both?  And if you load ammo, you can load .44 mag cases to .44 special velocities and such.

It starts with the fact that I don't usually shoot full-power 44 mag ammo. Usually I'm shooting either a 200 grain bullet around 1100 fps, or a 240-250 grain bullet around 900 fps. For the last few years, that is pretty much all I'm shooting in 44 magnum. Those loads are in the realm of 44 special ballistics.

And, I prefer the smaller New Model Blackhawk frame, over the larger Super Blackhawk frame.

So, with the 44 Special Blackhawk, I can shoot my most standard loads, but in a smaller frame size I prefer.

Dirty Bob
    Dirty Bob
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by Dirty Bob Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:10 am

I admit to being really tempted by the Ruger LCRx 3-inch. It has decent sights, a good trigger, and is under a pound! What a kit gun!

I've handled one, and the grip they've chosen is outstanding. I believe this could be a very light, low maintenance, reasonably accurate and powerful revolver. Not what I'd choose for bear country, but for hiking, it could be just the ticket.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:07 am

Been Jonesin' for the Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Now that Ruger has put on the adjustable rear sight it always should have had, (their marketers are good and evil) it's more irresistible.

If it wasn't for the SIG, SCAR-H, Walther, AR-15s and 1911s I HAVE to buy first...
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Arrrrgh....I am still waffling between a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special and a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in 45 Colt.  I might have to flip a coin on this one.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Dirty Bob wrote:I admit to being really tempted by the Ruger LCRx 3-inch. It has decent sights, a good trigger, and is under a pound! What a kit gun!

I've handled one, and the grip they've chosen is outstanding. I believe this could be a very light, low maintenance, reasonably accurate and powerful revolver. Not what I'd choose for bear country, but for hiking, it could be just the ticket...

What caliber is it?

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:  
    Been Jonesin' for the Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Now that Ruger has put on the adjustable rear sight it always should have had, (their marketers are good and evil) it's more irresistible.

If it wasn't for the SIG, SCAR-H, Walther, AR-15s and 1911s I HAVE to buy first...  

CF, I just put another 200 rounds through mine on Saturday.  I think I have close to a total of 800-1000 rounds through it now--I really, REALLY, like it.  The grips, sights and trigger--they sure make it nice.  I ended up selling my regular gp100 (made about $100 off the sale) because I didn't think I would shoot it while I own the match champ.  My old gp100 had the fixed sights which were ok, but not near as nice.  That fiberoptic front sight really jumps out--even when it is cloudy outside.

Tennessee Jed wrote:Arrrrgh....I am still waffling between a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special and a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in 45 Colt.  I might have to flip a coin on this one.

TJ, the birdshead in 45 colt! (nudge nudge)
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Corn, how is the POA/POI on your Ruger birdshead? I'd normally shoot 255 SWC's, usually at around 850 fps. If the sights are close to on with that load, that would probably help me make up my mind. Thanks.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm

You're not helping, Corn! Even as a Glock Fanboi, semi-auto fan, I want a Match Champion so bad I can taste it. But - the small CCW 9 has got to come first.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:41 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:Corn, how is the POA/POI on your Ruger birdshead?  I'd normally shoot 255 SWC's, usually at around 850 fps.  If the sights are close to on with that load, that would probably help me make up my mind.  Thanks.

I haven't shot the birdshead as much as I thought I would, but it seemed to be on from the distance I was shooting if I remember correctly.  The main reason I haven't shot it much is because it is chambered in 45acp instead of the beloved 45 colt cartridge.  As I mentioned before in a different post, when shooting non-rimmed ammo in a revolver, the ammo gets harder to load after shooting a few cylinders full--also reloaded brass is a little too long or something which makes it really tight going in.  I never trim my 45acp brass, so even though my loads will chamber fine in all my 45 acp autos, it won't fit well in the revolver cylinder.

To summarize: I wish mine was chambered in 45 Colt. If it was, I would shoot it a lot more.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Dang! I knew that. I remember you saying it was 45 acp. Forgive my temporary ignorance.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that Birdshead in 45 Colt anyway, but now I remember you mentioning the dilemma of reloading 45 acp.

Still haven't made up my mind. Fortunately, I don't have to decide today. Regardless, will let you all know what I end up doing.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:46 pm

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) <a href=What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) Dscn0410" />

Here you go, TJ. In .45 Colt.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:02 pm

I am in love. Simply beautiful. I am quite a sucker for stainless sixguns with stag stocks.

That isn't a stock trigger, is it? And that's not a stock hammer, either, right?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 am