The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Tennessee Jed
Cornmastah
6 posters

What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:59 pm

It's a beauty, no doubt.

The hammer is a Ruger Vaquero Bisley hammer. The lower hammer spur makes cocking the hammer easier and quicker when shooting single handed. I understand the hammer is almost a drop in. Wink
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your next planned revolver purchase? (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later)

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:08 pm

CF and Dev, you guys are CAS shooters. How well do those Bisley hammers work when firing with 2 hands and cocking with your off-hand? Does the lowered hammer spur make off-hand cocking more tricky?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 pm

I shoot Gunfighter, so I can't tell you. (Draw BOTH guns and shoot alternately).

CF is right - that's a Bisely trigger. Matter of fact, the whole GUN isn't stock. It started life as a stainless Vaquero. It had the barrel taken off and the 3" barrel put on, and then the birdshead grip and Bisely hammer. Not sure the trigger was changed, though.

I bought the thing as you see it. I thought it would be a kind of neat "Doc Holiday" gun, per TOMBSTONE. It shoots well, but since it isn't like my SAA's, it kind of throws me off. I have carried it as a 3rd gun in a shoulder rig that I borrowed from a friend.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Friend of mine shoots a pair of Bisely Remmies, and he seems to do fine with the two-handed cocking and shooting. But not many people have hands the size of mine.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:CF and Dev, you guys are CAS shooters.  How well do those Bisley hammers work when firing with 2 hands and cocking with your off-hand?  Does the lowered hammer spur make off-hand cocking more tricky?

I shoot Ruger OMV Bisleys in SASS; their more vertical grip points naturally in my Glock trained hands. I also shoot two handed and cock with my support hand. Even though I have big paws, they don't interfere with the hammer unless I really screw-up my grip. The Bisley hammers also have a much bigger thumbing surface. With these advantages, many Cowboys are adding the Bisley hammer to their otherwise stock plowhandle pistols.

What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) - Page 2 I-ZBXCHp8-M
    Top pair are my Bisleys - Bottom pair are my wife's NMV plowhandles.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
    Tennessee Jed wrote:CF and Dev, you guys are CAS shooters.  How well do those Bisley hammers work when firing with 2 hands and cocking with your off-hand?  Does the lowered hammer spur make off-hand cocking more tricky?

I shoot Ruger OMV Bisleys in SASS. Their more vertical grip points naturally in my Glock trained hands. I shoot two handed and cock with my support hand. Even though I have big paws, they don't interfere with the hammer unless I really screw-up my grip. The Bisley hammers also have a much bigger thumbing surface. With all these advantages, many Cowboys are adding the Bisley hammer to their otherwise stock plowhandle pistols.    

I believe adding Bisley hammers to regular SAA's is illegal in SASS. Probably doesn't get gigged in local matches, but I would expect to see some push-back at a national match. Not that I GO to national matches.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:14 am

Devereaux wrote:What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) - Page 2 <a href=What is your next planned revolver purchase?  (doesn't matter if it is sooner or later) - Page 2 Dscn0410" />

Here you go, TJ. In .45 Colt.

I like it!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:07 pm

I saw a cool Uberti Nickel plated open top 1871 38 spl revolver today. Sure looked purdy! I also held a nice Schofield in 45 colt... Someday... someday...
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Cornmastah wrote:I saw a cool Uberti Nickel plated open top 1871 38 spl revolver today.  Sure looked purdy!  I also held a nice Schofield in 45 colt...  Someday... someday...

Go for the Schofield - the Open Tops are a PITA.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Devereaux wrote:Go for the Schofield - the Open Tops are a PITA.

Not well built or what?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Open Tops are kool looking but have real weaknesses. They are prone to all manner of malfunctions. Even my Navies, which I had converted to basically Open Top without the ejector, have real issues. It has been hard to finish a cowboy match with them. The issue is the basic design problem of joining the barrel to the frame. The wedge is crucial for getting front shake space and is hard to keep correct.

Schofields, OTOH, are solid. In the Italian version they work really well and are fun to shoot. I rather dig the neat way they unload and load and have considered buying one and shooting a cowboy match with only one gun, reloading along the way. It would be slow, but it would be fun. And you couldn't do that with a SAA - WAY too slow.

Since you are looking at old Western guns, you might consider an 1858 Remington Cap 'n Ball, and then get the conversion cylinder from the guy in Wisconsin so you can shoot .45 Colt cartridges and it still looks like a cap 'n ball. EASY removal of cylinder - you will like it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 am